Rest In Peace Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou, known as Vangelis, 79.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's with a heavy heart that I learned that Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou, better known as Vangelis, has passed away at the age of 79 while being treated in hospital for Covid-19.

He's known for his numerous albums, and scores... Including Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, 1492 Conquest of Paradise, The Bounty, Antarctica, and Alexander. He also soundtracked the ESA's Rosetta mission, NASA's 2001 Mars Odyssey, and their Juno mission. He also collaborated with YES's Jon Anderson on a couple of albums.

Thanks for the Music Vangelis

Rest In Peace

Last edited:
Heaven and Hell with Jon Anderson was maybe his best work... absolutely brilliant. He'll be missed.

If you were alive in 1981 - 1982, you couldn't help hearing this song. It played constantly. I was probably far too young then to appreciate the movie, but I watched it for the music in any case. It went to #1 in the US, back when music charts meant something.

Last edited:
Just remembered... I used Vangelis' song from Blade Runner for my Hellway ride video...

I think my favorite is "L'enfant" from "Opera Sauvage". It's the closing music to the film "The Year of Living Dangerously". It took me *forever* to find out the name of the music (pre-internet days).

Back