Quantcast

Resources forum addition ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Howdy,

As one of the many scale freaks here - or so it seems, I'm curious if it would be possible to add a forum section dealing with resources for rocketry. In particular, I can't tell you the amount of times I've spent hours searching for images of a certain rocket, and come up empty, only to find that info isn't available online, or worse - a website that had it is now defunct.

I'd ask for a section dealing strictly with scale rocketry and design, but I'm sure the answer would be - go to one of the yahoo group sites, but hopefully a resource section could be added.

In any case, I'd just like to pass along my gratitude to the mods here, and say thanks for making this place feel like home.

Cheers,

sandman

Reaction score
I posted a request about a year or more ago and there was little if any interest.

We have a bunch more members now so...maybe...I'm in!

sandman

powderburner

Reaction score
I think I would make pretty heavy use of such a resource.

Then again, if the mods here are not too keen on the idea, maybe someone like EMRR would pick it up?

cls

Reaction score
seems I can find most everything I'm looking for between JimZ and EMRR. Rocketry OnLine has an OK tips & techniques section. so I wonder if those things need to be duplicated here?

Silverleaf

Reaction score
I should expand on this topic a bit. Yes I realize that plans for certain kits are available at Jimz's and other info is available at EMRR, and while they do a great job providing those guides and instructions, I'm more concerned about specifics dealing with modeling scale rockets.

Let me use the DMF3 - Delta 3 as one example. When I first started to gather data for a detailed drawing, I searched online for nearly 6 months, gathering info from:

1) Boeing and their subsidaries

2) About 10 sites on space and their various archives all having very little "real time" data on the Delta 3 series.

3) Kevin Forsyth's site on Delta History

4) Pete Alway's Rocket's of the World - Delta 2 info pages - for what little data that was similar to a Delta 3

5) Trying to get 4 books from my local library via Inter-Libray loan - all of which took months to finally come in.

6) Nasa's archives - 3 different areas

3 other sites which I have bookmarked, but now are gone.

Beyond all of that, its finding enough data to make an attempt on even a special rocket of that series that makes it difficult.

Another example is the Energia-Buran. To do this from scratch, your looking at a few sites with enough quality data for an attempt:

The Buran homepage:
http://www.buran.ru/

This site has some pics of a finished Energia-Buran model
http://people.itu.int/~meens/model/buran.htm

This site has scale drawings
http://predator.sd.uni-lj.si/~bostjanl/makete/drawings/Buran-Energia/

This site has some pics of the visited site
http://pargoo.customer.netspace.net.au/buran.html

Pete Alway's Rocket's of the World - Energia-Buran page.

So... what I have listed here are great resources, but for someone coming into/getting back into rocketry, finding this data is sometimes very difficult to do, especially in the area of images. Hence a section at TRF devoted to this collection would be a positive step.

At the top post as a sticky could be a general thread that lists ONE TIME - Jimz's for plans, EMRR for detailed launch etc, and any other site that falls into this general category.

Heck, one post detailing each project would be excellent.

So if i'm looking for data on a Little Joe 5, I would come to the resources section, click on the Little Joe thread, and see that:

Peter Mcquillan has a site devoted to the Little Joe - with a few images of each version.
http://www.peter.mcquillan.dsl.pipex.com/

Goerge Gassaway has a page on the Little Joe model
http://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/LJoe.htm

Another site on a 1/12th Little Joe project
http://homepage.mac.com/jduffy/PhotoAlbum3.html

The Scale Rocketry and Scale Modeler Yahoo groups site links would be listed here as well.

Finally, a quick note to check the sticky above for the link to Jimz's site for plans from a couple Estes kits.

Ok, hopefully that explains this better. lol

astronboy

Reaction score
I am a Scale nut, but modeling has been a pain due to the difficulties in collecting data listed by everyone else. Basically, If a rocket is not in Alway's books, I have not even thought of building it!!

I am totally for a Scale section.

cls

Reaction score
now I see what you guys are thinking about... I went through a similar research process for Delta II. yeah, it would be really handy to log all that research in to one place.

powderburner

Reaction score
One of the problems that I often run into online is that someone (like Jim Ball) does a fantastic job of putting together a huge, wonderful pile of reference data (like yellowjacketsystems.com) ----- and then a year or two later, a bunch of the links are dead. The data at the other end of those links is gone, as far as I know.

I don't know how to beat this problem. I understand that these guys are posting this info and maintaining these sites out of the goodness of their hearts and 'for the romance of aviation' and it just isn't in me to complain to them about broken links. But in our modern world of ours, sometimes I think we are losing old data faster than we are creating new data.

Maybe a commercial slant is what we need. Maybe if data was made available in a more convenient form ('all you ever wanted to know about the blah-blah, all researched and recorded on one CD for the low, low price of . . . ') on a moderately large-scale basis, there would be a better chance of connecting with someone who has one of these? or a better chance of buying one and saving the trouble of spending months scanning internet sites?

Silverleaf

Reaction score
I agree with the links at a page being dead. So, though I didn't start this with that thought in mind, I have been slowly collecting as much data as possible on the Delta 3 series, the Energia-Buran, the Little Joe series, the Sandhawk and Nike series, I'll have the ones I'm focusing on covered. I'm trying to get as much video imagery as possible, along with scale drawings, pics and images.

Once I have as much as possible, I'm burning them to CD in their own folder for backup - in case my cpu dies.

Would I be against burning a copy of this information and sending it to someone whom wanted it ?. Not at all. Would I charge for it ?. A buck or 2 at most for shipping. Nothing more.

Anyways, my point is, if we get a group of guys together and try to cover the lesser known rockets - we should be able to protect our hobbies future. I say lesser known because compared to the Saturn V-Atlas, the SST and the Redstone series, there is far less info on some of these beloved rockets we like to build.

Right now, I'm in a Sandhawk/Energia Buran mode, searching every chance I get for information.

A

Austin

Well guys, I can't agree with you more on the fact we could use a better location for scale data. While I appreciate the efforts of others, sites like Jim Ball's have not been updated in two years, even after I sent in tons more detailed photos on scale missiles. That is why I purchased a domain and planned on doing my own site. I am a big scale fan of military missiles but really don't have much interest in the Saturn's, etc... as they have been done so much I feel there is no need to address them. Plus, modeling the rocket just doesn't interest me.

But series such as Nike and Sandhawk that were mentioned, along with just about every military missile ever made do catch my eye. I would definitely be interested in accumulating data for my new site I plan on building here shortly, www.scalerocketry.com , and would be interested in your CD of info.

Carl

Stymye

Reaction score
alot of times, dead links can be revived
with the Wayback Machine

http://www.archive.org/

just copy the dead link to the "take me back" box

I have found ALOT of scale data this way,,

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Carl,

I'm still collecting data - searching and the like, but once I'm satisfied that I've covered as much as I can for each of the various rockets I've mentioned, I'll be more than happy to send you a cd or two with all the data.

The Sandhawk is becoming my pain in the rear end, so to speak, and I've got 30 or so enquiries out for Energia-Buran video and images.

Styme,

Thanks for that link, I honestly came across that site a few weeks ago, but forgot to bookmark it.

powderburner

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion for a feature that I have not seen:

It might be nice to have a place where people can post sightings. I mean, there are lots of big museums out there, with missile-type hardware, that lots of people know about, but what about all the little, out-of-the way places?

For example, I was recently at the Rock Island Arsenal facility. It is located in the middle of the Mississippi, between Davenport Iowa and Moline Illinois. On the back side of the facility is a small outdoor park with examples of armor, artillery, and some rockets. They have a Little John there, complete with launcher. You can get full access, touch it, measure it, hold up a ruler and snap all the photos you want. Access to the Arsenal is free.

I'm sure there are lots more rocket and missile items out there, and many are probably quite close to someone who would like to know about them, but I have not seen anyone keeping tabs on this sort of info.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Great idea !

Not that I'm trying to usurp my position as a less than 100 post member, but that would be an excellent sticky in the scale data section:

Links to Established Scale Data Sites
Links to Museums, Airfields, Facilitys

Then below it could be threads for each rocket/missile

Energia Buran
Sandhawk
Nike
etc.