Resistors as ignitors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astronot

Reaction score
I was reading an article about electronics and Pyro in a Fireworks publication, and in this article the author makes the claim that he has used resistors as ignitors to electrically fire fireworks.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before in rocketry. Seems feasible to me. He said he used 3.9 ohm resistor in a 12 volt firing system. The idea being that you overload the resistor and cause it to heat up rapidly.

Food for thought.

David

I have a bunch of resistor igniters. They are very large. Some are probably close to 1/4" across.

Last edited:
David, I'm guessing this would still be regulated just because of it's "final intended function" even though it contains no chemicals per say?

Impossible to say since the ATF will not provide the criteria they use to decide. All you can do is ask them for an opinion on a particular device.

The evidence suggests that so long as you do not use anything that appears on the list of explosives, you are fine.

Thanks for the link. Some very interesting info there. This jumped off the page at me right away. Pretty cool.

With appropriate ignition system design, 25 Joules can easily be transferred from a compact, hand-held firing box to a pair of resistor initiators half a mile away. A single resistor initiator can be fired two miles away, using #18 AWG zip cord firing leads. No relay box is required.

Reliability is extremely high as well.

David

Back