Resin horses

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raw9jr

Reaction score
I know this is way off topic, but I also know you guys know more about most things than most people so........
My daughter has a bunch of those plastic / resin horses (Breyer etc.), and occasionally breaks the legs or tails off. I've tried a bunch of stuff but can't seem to get the broken pieces to adhere.

Any suggestions are appreciated. They are starting to pile up. (and occupying my rocket building area)

Thanks!

Try drilling a hole into each leg half and inserting bamboo shish kabob skewers into the matching hole.

Make the hole oversized for the skewers (sloppy) but not too deep, 14" or so.

Then coat the scewer and the holes with epoxy. Squeeze 'em together and wipe the excess off.

Tape 'em together with masking tape until the epoxy sets.

That should work and be stronger than original!

sandman

How do you line up the holes? (My son has a busted one too.)

Sandman - great idea I have the holes drilled, have to stop at the camper (which is in storage) to grab a bamboo kobob skewer.

Should work pretty good.

Thanks!

Originally posted by sandman
. . . but not too deep, 14" or so . . .

I am sure Sandman meant 1/4 inch. I think.
Other ideas, if you don't want to make a special trip to retrieve the bamboo skewers: try a short length of round toothpick, or snip off a piece of wire coathanger, or even a doubled (or tripled) piece of paper clip?

i was wondering about that 14 inch comment myself... :D One HECK of a resin horse... LOL

rbeckey asked how you line up the holes. You don't really *have* to... that's why you make them "over sized", so that the *pins* you use "float" in the hole and have a lot of slop. Lets you set the leg properly then the epoxy does the rest.

jim

Originally posted by raw9jr
I know this is way off topic, but I also know you guys know more about most things than most people so........
My daughter has a bunch of those plastic / resin horses (Breyer etc.), and occasionally breaks the legs or tails off. I've tried a bunch of stuff but can't seem to get the broken pieces to adhere.

Any suggestions are appreciated. They are starting to pile up. (and occupying my rocket building area)

Thanks!

What are you kidding? This is *totally* relevant! No man's rocket workspace should be occupied by anything other than rockets!

The "pin" and epoxy method sounds like a plan. FYI - this same method is great for rocket fins. If ever you get a kit that doesn't have tabs or thru-the-wall fin mounting, you can always get some toothpicks and insert them in the root edge. Run them the length of the fin and drill matching holes in the tubes. Voila - thru-the-wall-somewhat fin mounting!

Originally posted by jflis
Lets you set the leg properly then the epoxy does the rest.

jim

A wilderness man like you... I am sure you know how to set a leg... :)

Anybody ever get one of those fiberglass casts... its cool. They roll it on you (over a cotton sheeth), and it hardens into a hard shell. I had one on my arm for about three months back in 99... I wonder if that was epoxy based... probabily not.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Anybody ever get one of those fiberglass casts... its cool. They roll it on you (over a cotton sheeth), and it hardens into a hard shell. I had one on my arm for about three months back in 99... I wonder if that was epoxy based... probabily not.

A guy in our club put Lexan fins on one and flew it on an I300T :D It's on EMRR if I recall...

I remember that! It was quite funny really. It went up fine, but after burnout,the deployment charge blew, and with the parahute out, it sorta kicked around in circles. It came down pretty hard and busted a fin or two, but the cast itself looked undamaged. Come to think of it, that was at my first ROC club launch. I also happened to park right next to the guy who flew the cast. :cool: The weather sucked but with intermittant gusts, and a sand storm to close out the day, but It was pretty cool being that the first HPR motor I ever saw was a hybrid M! Oh yeah, I was hooked!:D

Enough of my ranting

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

Originally posted by powderburner
I am sure Sandman meant 1/4 inch. I think.
Other ideas, if you don't want to make a special trip to retrieve the bamboo skewers: try a short length of round toothpick, or snip off a piece of wire coathanger, or even a doubled (or tripled) piece of paper clip?

He may of thought it was a full size horse. I'm working on one now...someone pass me that 2 by4!:D

Latest posts

Back