Quantcast

Resin horses

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

raw9jr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2002
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
I know this is way off topic, but I also know you guys know more about most things than most people so........
My daughter has a bunch of those plastic / resin horses (Breyer etc.), and occasionally breaks the legs or tails off. I've tried a bunch of stuff but can't seem to get the broken pieces to adhere.

Any suggestions are appreciated. They are starting to pile up. (and occupying my rocket building area)

Thanks!
 

sandman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
10,565
Reaction score
5
Try drilling a hole into each leg half and inserting bamboo shish kabob skewers into the matching hole.

Make the hole oversized for the skewers (sloppy) but not too deep, 14" or so.

Then coat the scewer and the holes with epoxy. Squeeze 'em together and wipe the excess off.

Tape 'em together with masking tape until the epoxy sets.

That should work and be stronger than original!

sandman
 

rbeckey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
1,520
Reaction score
1
How do you line up the holes? (My son has a busted one too.)
 

SwingWing

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
1,842
Reaction score
81
Originally posted by rbeckey
How do you line up the holes? (My son has a busted one too.)
Busted horse or leg??:D
 

raw9jr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2002
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Sandman - great idea I have the holes drilled, have to stop at the camper (which is in storage) to grab a bamboo kobob skewer.

Should work pretty good.

Thanks!
 

powderburner

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
7,401
Reaction score
4
Originally posted by sandman
. . . but not too deep, 14" or so . . .
I am sure Sandman meant 1/4 inch. I think.
Other ideas, if you don't want to make a special trip to retrieve the bamboo skewers: try a short length of round toothpick, or snip off a piece of wire coathanger, or even a doubled (or tripled) piece of paper clip?
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,424
Reaction score
36
i was wondering about that 14 inch comment myself... :D One HECK of a resin horse... LOL

rbeckey asked how you line up the holes. You don't really *have* to... that's why you make them "over sized", so that the *pins* you use "float" in the hole and have a lot of slop. Lets you set the leg properly then the epoxy does the rest.

jim
 

eugenefl

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
4,375
Reaction score
9
Originally posted by raw9jr
I know this is way off topic, but I also know you guys know more about most things than most people so........
My daughter has a bunch of those plastic / resin horses (Breyer etc.), and occasionally breaks the legs or tails off. I've tried a bunch of stuff but can't seem to get the broken pieces to adhere.

Any suggestions are appreciated. They are starting to pile up. (and occupying my rocket building area)

Thanks!
What are you kidding? This is *totally* relevant! No man's rocket workspace should be occupied by anything other than rockets!

The "pin" and epoxy method sounds like a plan. FYI - this same method is great for rocket fins. If ever you get a kit that doesn't have tabs or thru-the-wall fin mounting, you can always get some toothpicks and insert them in the root edge. Run them the length of the fin and drill matching holes in the tubes. Voila - thru-the-wall-somewhat fin mounting!
 

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
7,446
Reaction score
366
Location
Penns Creek, PA
Originally posted by jflis
Lets you set the leg properly then the epoxy does the rest.

jim
A wilderness man like you... I am sure you know how to set a leg... :)

Anybody ever get one of those fiberglass casts... its cool. They roll it on you (over a cotton sheeth), and it hardens into a hard shell. I had one on my arm for about three months back in 99... I wonder if that was epoxy based... probabily not.
 

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
3,218
Reaction score
54
Location
thank u, next
Originally posted by n3tjm
Anybody ever get one of those fiberglass casts... its cool. They roll it on you (over a cotton sheeth), and it hardens into a hard shell. I had one on my arm for about three months back in 99... I wonder if that was epoxy based... probabily not.

A guy in our club put Lexan fins on one and flew it on an I300T :D It's on EMRR if I recall...
 

rocwizard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2002
Messages
636
Reaction score
0
I remember that! It was quite funny really. It went up fine, but after burnout,the deployment charge blew, and with the parahute out, it sorta kicked around in circles. It came down pretty hard and busted a fin or two, but the cast itself looked undamaged. Come to think of it, that was at my first ROC club launch. I also happened to park right next to the guy who flew the cast. :cool: The weather sucked but with intermittant gusts, and a sand storm to close out the day, but It was pretty cool being that the first HPR motor I ever saw was a hybrid M! Oh yeah, I was hooked!:D


Enough of my ranting

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by powderburner
I am sure Sandman meant 1/4 inch. I think.
Other ideas, if you don't want to make a special trip to retrieve the bamboo skewers: try a short length of round toothpick, or snip off a piece of wire coathanger, or even a doubled (or tripled) piece of paper clip?
He may of thought it was a full size horse. I'm working on one now...someone pass me that 2 by4!:D
 
Top