resale of built models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutch

Reaction score
I decided not to put this in the "for sale" section, as I don't have anything for sale (yet). But I do have a question; Is there a market at all for "already built" kits? I have a few that I could certainly let go of, and also I have my eye on a local sale with some already - built Estes models Circa 1980. I'm not sure if I should pick them up or not (currently have quite a few in the build pile/rocket hospital.

Is there any market at all for vintage-ish models that are already built? Shipping would be possible but expensive, but what if I brought them to a large event like the National Sport Launch?

From what I can see from pictures, the models include:
Andromeda
Colossus
Scud-B
Phoenix
Kadet
X-ray
Mini-bertha
Odyssey
Blue bird zero
World Federation Star probe
Teros
And a handful of smaller models. Supposedly none of them have ever been flown. I'm not sure how well built they are, but I'm pretty good at doing some rocket surgery on models, and getting them in good condition.

Thoughts?

There is at least one seller on Ebay who seems to do pretty well with built models. His level of craftsmanship is pretty high. The X-Ray would be attractive to me--love that rocket, and my build pile is pretty high!

I would likely have to do some refurbishment on them, but I do enjoy that so....

I have not seen that many already built models on ebay.

My question would be: "Why would you want to buy already built kits?" Unless there is a rocket that has some nostalgia attached to it, or it is out of production and you always wanted one, what would be the point? For me a high percentage of the enjoyment of this hobby is building the kits.

If you guy a rocket that is need of repair, by the time you buy the rocket, pay the shipping, order the new parts needed (probably paying more shipping), do the repairs, most likely you've paid way more than just buying and building a new kit.

Yes, I assume that would be the case for most of us... thus the market for a "built" model would be small. I'm just wondering how small...

Another option I am kicking around is to fly them at a launch with a large number of kids/newbies. Fly them as "catch and keep" models!

A couple years ago, I bought 100 or so old (but still good) motors off a guy for $50, and he threw in a half-dozen already-built models and about that many "dinged up but fixable."

I figured I could scavenge the semi-salvageable ones for parts and hand some of the others to my nieces.

I probably wouldn't go out to buy already-built rockets, but essentially this guy was giving them away free, so why not?

Last edited:
Yes, I assume that would be the case for most of us... thus the market for a "built" model would be small. I'm just wondering how small...

Another option I am kicking around is to fly them at a launch with a large number of kids/newbies. Fly them as "catch and keep" models!

We’ve had good success with a take it fly it Program.

Catch and Keep, or donate them to a club for use as handouts to new kids that want to fly something. Both are great options.

There is at least one seller on Ebay who seems to do pretty well with built models. His level of craftsmanship is pretty high. The X-Ray would be attractive to me--love that rocket, and my build pile is pretty high!
And that seller we all know. No one was buying his $20.00 kits for $89.00...and many far! more expensive. Now he has added, "benefits charity", and the prices have gone up even more. Pathetic.

Ya, I'm warming up to the "catch and keep", "fly it take it" idea.... If I get them, I just need to find a local (or nearby) group... Or maybe talk to Bernard Cawley from Washington Aerospace Club near Seattle. Met him at NARAM 60. Really nice guy who is working with youth groups now. Also smart. Also did really well at NARAM!

Aaaand, just found out the models have been sold anyway. But I will probably still followup with the "fly it take it" idea....

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The value on built kits is pretty low, except for special cases like jeffy jeep, who does very high quality builds with the intent of selling them, or very old kits with hard to reproduce parts.

Back