3D Printing Request for help with PETG

Discussion in '3-D Printing and Related topics' started by Charles_McG, Mar 5, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 18, 2019 #61

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

The Hatchbox PETG claims to be hydrophobic. I tried drying it once with disastrous results - though I was able to use the roll by cranking up the extruder pressure.

Regardless of hydro felicity, I’ve taken to keeping everything in desiccant boxes.
    IMG_1214.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Aug 19, 2019 #62

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

Wow, I just switched from Hatchbox to eSun (based on good eSun reviews here and elsewhere) and I can't get it to lay down the bed AT ALL. 230C. 265C (I was going to do a temp tower and it starts hot). At PLA bed spacing, at my PETG (Hatchbox anyway) spacing. At 40mm/s and 50mm/s. On a isopropyl cleaned bed, on a aquanet prepped bed. All on the creality magnetic flex bed at 75C - I don't want to demagnetize my bed.

If someone has more tricks, I'd like to hear them. Else I'll find a home for this spool and get new.

3. Aug 19, 2019 #63

Locksmith

Locksmith

Locksmith

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I print almost exclusively Esun PETG 80C bed 240C for all layers no strings, no bed adhesion problems nothing.
    I am however a super freak about nothing ever touching my bed but plastic, no glues or sprays no finger prints "I have a magnetic flex bed" and wipe it down between every print with 99% ISO.
    One of the biggest changes I made about a year ago was going to 99% ISO the difference between 91 and 99 is night and day. and 70 is basically pointless.

4. Aug 19, 2019 #64

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

Ok. Up to 80C and cleaned with Everclear (the highest purity I have, even if it's EtOH, not iPrOH). No go.
    Brand new magnetic bed, raising the bed closer to the nozzle - just barely get adhesion, BUT
    it's still lumpy, uneven extrusion that's not adhering to itself (except on the nozzle) and I can -hear- it snap and pop as it extrudes. And I just took it out of the bag this morning and put it in a dessicant box.

5. Aug 19, 2019 #65

Locksmith

Locksmith

Locksmith

It shouldn't be snapping that is usually a sign of wet filament was it sealed when you got it? I have had amazon deliver a filament where the bag was punctured.
    Nozzle height cant really help you with, Ive always printed a 50x50 1 layer square and if it tears perpendicular to the way its printed - lower it
    if you cant pull it apart but it looks ugly raise it. I don't know what printer you have but having the ability to raise and lower the nozzle by micro meters whiles its printing make this process super fast.

6. Aug 19, 2019 #66

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

The bag -seemed- intact.

I have an Ender 5. Height adjustment is manual, by feel.

7. Aug 19, 2019 #67

Joe Bruce

Joe Bruce

Joe Bruce

FWIW, I've had great luck with Hatchbox PETG at 260C and 50C bed with blue painters tape (clean with 70% alcohol if you want the tape to forever adhere to the part). I upgraded my stock hot end to the E3D Titan Aero.

I was disappointed in the eSun PETG, filament coming off the spool and tangling, bad prints (layer shifts), can't find a way to make it print well. YMMV.

8. Aug 19, 2019 #68

jderimig

jderimig

jderimig

Sponsor TRF Sponsor

I print esun petg at 30mm/s with an E6D at 230C.

9. Aug 19, 2019 #69

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

I had been printing Hatchbox PETG (White) okay, but I hoped to do better, stringing-wise.
    On my Ender 5, the Hatchbox PETG settings I was using were:
    245C (250C first layer)
    75C bed temp.
    102% flow (110% first layer flow)
    6mm @ 25mm/s retraction
    40mm/s print speed
    0 fan first layer, 75% at 2mm
    coasting for 0.1mm^3 after 0.3mm^3 at 90%
    Light contact with paper leveling (done hot), Creality magnetic bed with no surface adjuncts, occasionally cleaned with 70% iPrOH.

I'm baking the eSun out and will see if it works better after I get rid of the snap, crackle, and pop in the nozzle.

10. Aug 20, 2019 #70

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

Update:
    After returning to an older Hatchbox PETG I still had around, I identified the problem and was able to roll forward to the eSun and get back to recalibrating and re-tweaking.

It was the extruder.

I had to increase the extruder tension to get through the Hatchbox roll I had damaged during drying. I figured I didn’t need the extra tension any more. I was wrong.

I did find that the so-call hydrophobic Hatchbox PETG does seem to pick up water if left lying around for long enough.
    And that a ziplock with a little desiccant pack is insufficient storage.

11. Aug 20, 2019 #71

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

3-5 days is enough for Hatchbox.

12. Aug 20, 2019 #72

DumasBro2

DumasBro2

DumasBro2

I was told to keep all filaments dry as they are all hygroscopic. I use Hatchbox PETG with little issues. 235 extrusion, 80 bed, 12mm retraction. A few strings, like dust bunnies but not bad. I print right on the glass bed with White Rain hair spray. e3D clone, use Cura 4.2.1.
    Attached is a picture of a 5" CSM I printed but quit after 3 1/2 days because the feed roller became loose. Extra fine resolution, no support.

Attached Files:

13. Aug 20, 2019 #73

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

The Hatchbox PETG claims in its paperwork to be hydrophobic. Obviously that's relative. The eSun actually notes 'low hygroscopicity' in its paperwork.

The Hatchbox in a gallon ziplock freezer bag for several months was less wet than the eSun out of the box.

I have 4 desiccant spool boxes set up, so I can store it differently, now that I know.

I'm more surprized about the extruder tension. The rubber band I have holding the loading arm down keeps breaking (I think the cats chew on it) so I think I'll play with flipping the bottom screw around and making it adjustable.

14. Aug 20, 2019 #74

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

8 C6-0, 12 D11-9, 20 D20-0, 20 E5-0, 3 Cinerocs

Just curious, what extruder do you have?

15. Aug 20, 2019 #75

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

16. Aug 20, 2019 #76

Locksmith

Locksmith

Locksmith

You could also look into Sunlu brand we are having very good luck with it at local maker space. Its probably the cheapest brand on amazon but even are low end printers are having great results.

17. Aug 20, 2019 #77

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

I upgraded my Ender 3 Pro with a SeeMeCNC EZRStruder. Although I am having problems that are stumping me. Can't print faster then 25mm/sec or get this skipping. See Video:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ss0tm_sTIFekx2ekio7rnghlEsVcVGcg

18. Aug 20, 2019 #78

Locksmith

Locksmith

Locksmith

3 most common skipping related problems "IMO"
    1. Gear tension to lose
    2. extruder not calibrated <--Most common from my experience
    3.nozzle not hot enough so its not melting fast enough, or poor thermal design - basically speaking you are shoving plastic down the nozzle faster then your nozzle can melt it.

If all your prints look good at slow speed then chances are its number 3, if smaller prints are good but larger arent then chances are its number 2. If its completely random and you have no idea why try number 1

19. Aug 20, 2019 #79

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

20. Aug 20, 2019 #80

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

1. EZRStruder is used on high end machines like the SeeMeCNC Artemis $2000 printer, that is why a friend recommended it over the stock Ender extruder which (Like those ones mentioned above too...) have a problem with flexible materials spitting out the side. The EZR has a stronger spring and the teeth are a concave grind to grip the filament better than the straight brass one from the ender.
    2. checked e-steps, got 99mm of material when expecting 100mm ... 1% not enough to be a concern, I am having to run slicer at 104% or I get underextrusion.
    3. I am beginning to think I need to get an all metal hotend of higher quality. Basically I have needed to replace 80% of this god damn thing...should have gotten an American made quality machine in the first place...