Request for 2.5" Nike X Specs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dseter

Reaction score
Hi folks, wondering if anyone can give me some 2.5 inch Nike X measurements, the Q Modeling version would be best. I have a copy of the Q Modeling instructs but they don't give all the fin location measurements from the bottom for instance. Also, I have a separate smaller main body tube just like the Q Modeling Nike X but am not sure mine is as long or meant to be the motor mount retainer section or not, so a measurement of that would be great also.
I have all the parts and fins but want to be certain what measurement in inches is each fin set starting at from the bottom of the main tube. Thanks in advance- Dave in Idaho

I have it drawn in RockSim. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

I have it drawn in RockSim. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

Unfortunately, I think that's the same file extension instructs I received but I don't have Rocksim and my trial is expired. I think actually if I simply had the length of that shorter Q Modeling main body tube where the motor mount goes and that has the ttw fin tab cutouts I could figure out the rest.

On my finished Qmodeling kit ,the fins ,measured from the aft of the tube are;

Main fins are flush with the bottom of the tube

middle fins are 11 1/4"

and the small canard fins are 30 3/8" , although it could be 30 1/4"

The tube i cannot tell on mine ,as the filler and decals could be hiding it ,but I think it be be an aft tube.

HTH

PS- Beware the nosecone.The way they are made (mine at least) will need care cleaning.DO NOT sand it first ,wash in dish soap several times ,then wipe down with alcohol several times.I would even wipe it down with lacquer thinner ,then alcohol.

There is some crazy kind of release agent that gets in the plastic resin and will cause fish eye in the paint, even in the primer.

Paul t

On my finished Qmodeling kit ,the fins ,measured from the aft of the tube are;

Main fins are flush with the bottom of the tube

middle fins are 11 1/4"

and the small canard fins are 30 3/8" , although it could be 30 1/4"

The tube i cannot tell on mine ,as the filler and decals could be hiding it ,but I think it be be an aft tube.

HTH

PS- Beware the nosecone.The way they are made (mine at least) will need care cleaning.DO NOT sand it first ,wash in dish soap several times ,then wipe down with alcohol several times.I would even wipe it down with lacquer thinner ,then alcohol.

There is some crazy kind of release agent that gets in the plastic resin and will cause fish eye in the paint, even in the primer.

Paul t
Thanks for all that Paul, much appreciated- since you have the Q Modeling Nike X, can you measure from the aft to just 1/4" below where the secondary fins start for me? I would expect it to be 11 inches of course but just to be absolutely certain, that would tell me how long that aft tube is as those secondary or middle fins are supposed to start 1/4" above that section of tube, thanks again! Dave

Edit: I think I've figured out what I need to do as my main smaller tube is only 8 inches. It looks like my upper fins would start at 1/4" above my main tube which is 30" long and my smaller tube becomes a payload which explains the bulk ring with a hole for the provided screw eye and nut etc. I actually like that idea better than having nose cone ejection anyway.
Excited to get started on this one although I'm finishing the build on the Andromeda while painting both a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke and that NCR Archer and an In Flight Clone two stage D Omega, sheesh!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think that's the same file extension instructs I received but I don't have Rocksim and my trial is expired. I think actually if I simply had the length of that shorter Q Modeling main body tube where the motor mount goes and that has the ttw fin tab cutouts I could figure out the rest.

Take a look at OpenRocket, Its a free rocket simulation program; much like Rocksim, that allows you to design and simulate your rocket on various motors. It also supports Rocksim files, though some of the Rocksim features may not be supported (e.g. parachute spill holes). Though I can't confirm this through experience; I've heard that Open rocket is much more accurate when simulating flights that exceed mach 1.

https://openrocket.sourceforge.net

Ok, back it after nearly 10 years, ouch. Does anyone know what nose cone I need for the upscaled 2.6 inch Nike-X? Making a 2.6 inch Citation Patriot and have same question as well, most of the vendors I used in the past are gone now, thanks for any help.

Back