Republic-Ford JB-2 "Buzz Bomb"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine was not on the top that was a fake casting to look like the German motor that powered the real one. My rocket engine was inside the main body. And no it never did fly right, even after adding clear plastic "Fins", it was just too unstable. I gave up on it. If you find a way to get this design to actually fly straight and not dangerous let us all know here.

I tried to launch my model today (without front wings). Sadly it got hung up on the launch rail. The off-center engine put too much sideways pressure I guess. I need to rethink where to mount launch lug. On a positive note, my ejection charge did go through the diagonal tube I included from engine to main body and ejected the nose cone.

1642908765433.png

I built one many years ago based on bt-80 tube with vacuum formed nose and tail cone and an open flow through ramjet and motor in line with the main fuselage, basswood fins and wings, CG was just a head of the leading edge of the wing, it was quite heavy but flew nicely on e18 reloads.IMG_0016.jpg

Makes me wonder what's the most assymetric model rocket people have built, that flew well enough for an RCO. Maybe this is off topic and should have its own thread.

Makes me wonder what's the most assymetric model rocket people have built, that flew well enough for an RCO. Maybe this is off topic and should have its own thread.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/misfit-epsilon.124492/
not sure this counts, as I built it and I flew it acting as my own RSO.

Odd’l Rockets (little company I think run my @jadebox and @hcmbanjo ) also had the CorkScrew, which was originally designed by Bruce Levison.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-to-pull-out-the-corkscrew.38719/#post-361587
it was pretty asymmetric. Unfortunately does not appear to still be in production.

I am curious if either of these would register as stable in a sim program.

they were both fun flyers.

The key issue that jammed up my version of this rocket is not [just] asymmetry per se, it is motor off-set from the body tube (and launch lug)...

Most of the weight of the rocket is in the nose cone (although I do set that weight in the top part of nose cone to put it closer to the motor thrust line). I originally wanted to do a rail launch and mounted the lug on bottom of model (furthest away from motor -- which in hindsight was dumb).

Basically, I have not gone back to this since I am not sure where to mount launch lug. One option would be to go over to a rod launch instead of rail and put a straw lug next to the diagonal tube on top of main body tube. That would put it closer to CG.

IMG_20150918_084459786_HDR.jpgIMG_20141220_134049259.jpg
These had some asymmetry issues. Why are die Amerikanners so worried about asymmetry? In Deutschland Noris-Das Model sells a V1 and Natter kit for the kids, no problem. Nicht Stompen!
IMG_20140621_110935649.jpg

Showing up with an oddroc at the RSO TABLE wearing a helmet may not inspire confidence…..
It actually was the club LCO's helmet. Czech surplus and if you look closely the markings on the front are a bit unstable. My COSROCS Love, Peace and Rockets tie dye shirt balanced out the ensemble. Those were some crazy days.

You're absolutely wrong, period about the V-2. The V-2 was supersonic and there was no warning it was going to hit at all. Only the explosion would be heard.
I did read if one was relatively close to the impact point of a V-2 that a faint whoosh might be heard before impact due to a preceding shock wave but it wasn't loud at all. Being too close to the impact point and one likely wouldn't survive to tell the tail anyways!

The V-1 which was subsonic was correctly identified as the craft one had to be nervous about after the motor cut out. The V-2 there was no audible warning where it would hit. Just a big boom out of nowhere.

My mother's Uncle Clarence was a crew chief (on P-38's) and was in London during both the V-1 and V-2 attacks. He said precisely that. The V-1 one would get nervous when the motor cut out. The V-2 there was no warning and just an explosion out of nowhere.

Uncle Clarence was in the service before the war and was in California early on. Very interesting guy. He related about the early days of the P-38. Standard operating procedure was to bailout with one engine out. He said one day they said Charles Lindbergh was flying to the base in a new (at the time) P-38. When Lindbergh called the tower, word got out to the airbase's men with all eyes to the sky. Lindbergh comes into the pattern with one engine feathered, lands nominally and exited the plane with his r.o.n. bag (remain over nite). Made a comment to the base commander, "It flies pretty well on one engine."

I did read early in the development of the P-38 it was s.o.p. to bailout after losing one engine but I've never been able to confirm the Lindbergh story by other sources.

Sounds plausible though as F.D.R. clipped Lindbergh's wings because of his pre-war pacifist views with the America First movement. Lindbergh volunteered for military service but F.D.R. nixed it as he was pissed at him for his anti-war views.

The day after Pearl Harbor Lindbergh said that it's obvious America First needs to be disbanded (and it was) and he volunteered for service in the military. As said, F.D.R. stood against that and Lindbergh did what he could working for aircraft manufacturers. It's well known he did a lot of flying with the Chance-Vought F4U Corsair and pioneered flying it with very heavy loads and showed the Marines how to use it effectively.
He wrote some about it in his diaries which have been published.

It must be remembered that Lindbergh was pushing 40 when the war started and men were considered "pretty old" when they hit 40 years old. I don't know if there were any 40 year old fighter pilots flying active combat back then as I suspect the military felt it was a "young man's game".

Kurt
My lead engineer at Boeing was a B-17 pilot and got blown out of bed when. A V2 hit while on leave In London.

Back