Repost: Issues with RockSim v9 and WinXP SP3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyK

Reaction score
Folks,

Apologies, should of posted in this forum first, and not the "Support and Recovery"; so I'm re-posting with additional comments.

After the rollout of SP3 for WinXP Pro on my work laptop RockSim stopped working. The main window would start to open, but then things would die. With the standard Microsoft pop-up window:

"Apogee Components RockSim has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

And it asks if you wish to send the error report to Microsoft. Which it dutifully does it you let it.

I've even looked at the data it's gathered but it's all gibberish to me.

I did re-install RockSim with a file supplied by Apogee and the re-install finished successfully. Or so the messages said. The EngEdt program, which installs at the same time, does run without issue.

Dick S suggested that I may of had an install problem, but I'm not thinking that.

It's almost like RockSim is executing a script under the covers (perhaps to check for updates or apply updates in it's data files) when it dies. I say this because I do see a "DOS-type" window flash open in the background as it dies.

I can try a couple of things.

Unfortunately, I can't undo the SP3 upgrade. But, I can try downloading the trial version from Apogee and installing that (don't know if it installs any different that the normal one). I can also install the file I have on my home desktop unit. I have RockSim v9 with an earlier build version running on it. It's also a WinXP Pro setup, and I might be running SP3 on it. I usually keep my home unit fairly current with s/w updates. With my home unit, I can backup, install and then fall back if the problem reoccurs. But the fact that I'm probably already running SP3 on it makes me think that's not where the problem is.

My gut feeling is that it is either related to the install file I have, or is somehow related to settings on my work machine which prevents some communication functionality that RockSim does from happening and it doesnt recover from it.

And yes, my daughter who loves her MAC would also agree, "get a MAC".

Any other suggestions, comments; helpful or otherwise?

... Bill

Uninstalled one version and then installed the downloadable demo version, no difference.

Everything appears to install correctly. The EngEdit program runs without issue, but RockSim itself appears to start and then die.

The "DOS-type" window that pops open does have some text in it, but unfortunately it flashes on and off so fast it's almost impossible to catch.

What I might try is doing a video capture (yes, actually video the screen as the program starts) and then do a frame by frame review to catch what that Dos-type window is saying.

How frustrating....

... Bill

I have run XP Pro SP3 and Rocksim without any problems. I am now running Windows 7. You might try stopping all background programs and any antivirus software you are running. If Rocksim works then restart the programs one by one until you find the conflict. You can look at the XP error logs but normally they are not very helpful.

I had a similar problem with my computer and the answer that worked was to use the "add and delete programs" windows programs (in control panel) to completely delete rocksim and then go to the apogee website and re-download rocksim (the current version, which you can do if you either bought or upgraded from 8) and installed it fresh.

at least that is what worked with my dell e1705 sp3 T6600 system.

good luck!

It's been awhile, and I've been lazy.

But I just wanted to update this thread with what finally transpired with my issues with Rocksim v9, and tip my hat to those who helped.

Tim at Apogee put me into direct contact with Paul Fossey. Paul took a look at the data I provided and suggested it might be my video driver.

I tracked down and installed a new video driver (my unit had an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card in it). And the problem just disappeared.

What can one say. Exceptional and prompt service from the folks at Apogee and special thanks to Paul. I told him if I ever meet him face-to-face I owe him a cold brew. :cheers:

He saved me a lot of aggravation.

... Bill

Radeon 7500? No wonder - that's a very old video card. Glad to hear that a new driver fixed everything.

Back