Replacement Star Orbiter lower body tube (Slotted BT-60)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
During my attempts to cut a Star Orbiter kit’s lower body tube down to size, my cleanup and sanding of the cut made it too short. I’m looking for a replacement with the following specifications, pulled from measurement of the original:
  • BT-60 inner and outer diameters
  • 3 slots
  • Slots cut 24mm (a little less than 1 inch) from the base of the tube
  • Slots 3mm (1/8 inch) wide
  • Slots 52mm (2 1/8inch) long
While this would be ideal, I could also get one with different dimensions that are still compatible with the Star Orbiter’s through-the-wall fin tabs. I saw this tube for sale on Apogee and I think it looks fine, but a second opinion would be most appreciated.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...6mm-X-18in-Slotted-Body-Tube-Estes-BT-60-Size
If all else fails, I’d be willing to try to cut slots in a standard BT-60 as well.

When you cut the slots use a NEW blade .
Don't try to cut the slots through all in one stroke but use several
light cuts . This will give a cleaner cut.

With that large diameter tube
insert a nose block or several centering rings to support the body tube from the
inside to prevent crushing or creasing the body tube

Don't rush the cutting and try cutting all 3 slots at one time. After you finish 1 slot
stop and do something else and then come back and cut the next one.

When you mark the slot lines just draw 1 centering line and then mark out the complete rectangle
for the slot on one side of the center line and then mark the other rectangles on the same side of each of
the other centering lines. this will result in all of the fins being the same distance apart

Bobby

Latest posts

Back