Replace fins with motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannybob

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could use 4 angled motors in place of fins. Would it give the rocket enough spin to be stable? I don't really know anything about this, I just thought it would be something cool to try.

I'm new to this sight so sorry if I post this in the wrong spot, and tell me if there is already info on this somewhere.

and here is some pictures of what it could look like I made in sketchup.

top.png

Screen shot 2009-12-15 at 5.57.05 PM.png

But Spin Stabilazation is to enhance not replace fins.

If you decide to do such a thing PLEASE be very sure to launch it in COMPLETE Isolation well away from every living thing, and as few range crew as possible. your model will be all over the place for many many reasons.

It will be all over the place for reasons like what? wouldn't the only problem be if one of the motors didn't ignite?

The chances of not having some amount of thrust misalignment, small differences in the ignition sequence, etc are slim to none. I rate the chances that the rocket shown in the diagrams actually works is very, very low.

Remember, from rockets beyond strange: you can launnch anything you want on an A engine. if you make a launch controller with 50-100 foot wires you would probably be safe. just go to a park or field VERY EARLY or any other time when there is no one there, and prove your concept before making a bigger one. definitely start with either 6mm or 13mm engines, and duck till you prove it works!:)

I didn't attend but from previous reports from Francis, a baseball wire mesh backstop helps with some oddrocs :santa-smile:

wow. thanks for ruining all my hopes and dreams. :bang:

It is often better to dash a dream before it becomes a Nightmare.

Ditto what Dick said along with rotational drag on the rod, tip off, low take off speed and on and on.

Spin stabilization has been used on research sounding rockets since the 40's. there are many ways to induce spin in a rocket while allowing the aerodynamic directional forces afforded by the "feathers on the arrow" to do their work.

Can you give the reasoning behind removing the critical directional correcting parts of the vehicle other then 'it'd be cool"?
If we are going to attempt to push the envelope it's always good to have some sort of basis for the assumption or theory don't ya think. Why Yes! This is rocket science these models are not toys. We can't treat them as such or do things figuring let's just do it and see what happens. That my friend is how mishaps are created...it wouldn't be an accident because just a little research and further thought would have shown the idea is not worth the experimental risk.
I'd say if you absolutely have to try this to satisfy your curiosity do it with a cluster of Micro Maxx motors on a T3 size model. I'd still stay at least 100feet away and in complete isolation.

Might I suggest instead of completely removing the necessary fins, why not reduce them while canting your motors as drawn. Again while doing such experiment they should still be done ALONE as your still going to have some very erratic flight paths:)

Last edited:
Back