Quantcast

Repeat Offenders (an Open Question to the Moderators)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
Why are some people allowed to continue being Rocketry Forum members when they have a clear history of being unable to comply with the Forum's very simple and reasonable rules?

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I often wonder that same question. Maybe a moderator or the admin will chime in!

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
... because rules are made for corner cases; then we add exceptions and it gets messier from there,?

Sabrina

The WildChild
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Rocketry People!!! :)

I come on this forum a lot. I come here to learn stuff about ROCKETRY! One of my favorite things by the way.

I've been kinda interested in two-stage high power rockets lately - thanks to my friend Gus. I subscribed to a thread about a two stage build a little while ago, but now today I see that same person with the two stage thread went a little off-topic on another thread.

I see that thread is locked now, good thing.

I hope you don't think this is a personal attack, I'm not naming names. It seems blatantly obvious to even a casual observer like me, that type of post serves no purpose on a ROCKETRY forum. However it does stir-up all kinds of emotions in other people.

I'm posting the two images below to show how I think we can deal with this kind of thing. -Once again, this is NOT a personal attack, I did my best to block out the persons screen name.

I'm only trying to illustrate how I am dealing with this issue.

Thank you for your time and attention - lets get back to ROCKETRY!!!! :):cool::)

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Sabrina your point is well taken but the question is why are repeat offenders still allowed on this forum.

mrichhcirm

Reaction score
Sabrina your point is well taken but the question is why are repeat offenders still allowed on this forum.
Because banning people tends to dampen the mood, and im sure the mods didnt volunteer for the job because they enjoy swinging the banhammer?

Sabrina

The WildChild
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Point well taken. The one I'm thinking about is already on his 2nd or 3rd account here.

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
Calling all moderators! Your input is needed.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Check out this thread for a bit of light on this subject. I was honestly pretty surprised at the poll results, but "the numbers don't lie" as they say.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?135394-Stealth6-Unleashed-with-poll

Interestingly, I'm somewhat active on a few other online forums...on topics such as music production, graphic design, bass guitar, bikes, and others....and on ALL of them there is not even the slightest hint of religion, politics, and all the god/guns/country crap you see here. Nothing, nada, completely free of all of it. It's great.
You need to face it - the community on TRF wants it this way. Frankly, I think that's too bad, but it is what it is.

peace, love, and rockets,
s6

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
The moderation is certainly lighter since the last change in ownership. I personally don't care if there are specific off topic threads that get nasty. I just don't read them. Done. Bans become necessary when people bring that crap into actual rocket threads. But that's just me.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The moderation is certainly lighter since the last change in ownership. I personally don't care if there are specific off topic threads that get nasty. I just don't read them. Done. Bans become necessary when people bring that crap into actual rocket threads. But that's just me.
It would sure be nice to be able to select threads to ignore and have them not appear. Possibly users also.
As long as I'm dreaming I'd like the like button back too.

Steve Shannon

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Said forum member does seem to be unable to resist spewing on non-rocket related topics.

I personally find it quite annoying, particularly because there's no way to hide those threads. You can ignore the member, but you'll still see the threads in all the various listings. This is why I have suggested the possibility of an "ignore thread" feature that would hide it from all views. That would mostly solve it for me, but I seem to be the only one interested in such a thing so I have no hope of it ever happening.

It may be that stealth6 is right and that collectively the forum wants it this way, but that doesn't seem to be the case if you look at the actual content of the controversial threads.

[edit: OK, *2* people want an "ignore thread" feature. A movement has begun! :)]

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
It would sure be nice to be able to select threads to ignore and have them not appear. Possibly users also.
As long as I'm dreaming I'd like the like button back too.

Steve Shannon
The thread ignore would be useful, just to make sure you don't accidently look at the OT threads. One problem with strict moderation is that it takes a lot of time as every thread needs to be watched regularly. As a for profit site, I doubt if anyone will expend that much effort.

BuiltFromTrash

Reaction score
I don't mind so long as it stays in it's proper child forum(I.E. the Watering Hole). If you find the current state of the world offensive, then go crawl into a corner and don't visit that part of the forum! Ignore the trolls on the forum and move on. Don't feed them.

Just DON'T EVER change a thread that started out as rocketry into some flame war about ANYTHING. If you want to start a flame war, then be prepared for the consequences.

As for repeat offenders, yea boot them.

Edit: I just noticed this post is a bit off topic(Read S6's post that was linked)... Still relevant though.

Last edited:

Cabernut

Reaction score
Some people are not cut out for online forums. Most likely very nice, good people in person. But should probably avoid online forums.

I'm sure the "person in question" is an all-around good person whom I would like to see at a launch and get some rocketry advice. My advice for said person would be to try and avoid online forums, not really your thing.

Having said that, I would like to recommend something that has worked for me in the last few months with regard to the occasional hot-button post, thread or topic. And I mean the following as merely a suggestion for personal growth. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't. It's helped me a lot.

I have actually emptied my ignore list. The prisoners have been freed! I have taken it upon myself to be less "sensitive". If something seems offensive, I can ignore by just not reading the thread. Scrolling past and keeping my own interest on what interests me. Sure, sometimes it's fun to have a bit of debate or banter. If it devolves into angry mud-slinging, I'm not interested, I'll move on. Good luck with that fellas.

Your only options are to make use of the ignore button, or to just handle it and move on. That's all you can really do.

I get that it can be annoying, and I agree it is, but these days there are so many things out there that will eat you up if you let it get to you. A never ending whack-a-mole. Life is too short to keep trying to 1-up the other guy that will not agree with you.

ttabbal

Reaction score
I just try to scroll past the more annoying ones. I'm not perfect, and have gotten involved when I shouldn't have, but that's just life. And some people just rub each other the wrong way, it's better to just let each other be in those cases. I will say, at the very least, the more annoying posts I've seen thus far have been confined to the off-topic area. So at least you're not reading about a nice L3 project just to get bombarded with politics/religion/etc... That's something anyway.

Keep in mind, while it's easy to say "The admins should ban this guy".... In reality, it's so simple to come back with another name/email/account that it does a whole lot of nothing. It's wac-a-mole without even the crappy prizes.

So, shall we switch to one of the rocket related forums here and discuss a project/kit/motor instead? :)

kjohnson

mox nix
Reaction score
The best way I've found to avoid non-rocketry posts and much of the drama around here is to remove the watering hole from my list of new posts. There is a great greasemonkey script for that for folks who run Firefox that was made by a member here. It helps keep the noise down quite a bit, but doesn't help when folks act the fool in other parts of the forum.

kj

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The best way I've found to avoid non-rocketry posts and much of the drama around here is to remove the watering hole from my list of new posts. There is a great greasemonkey script for that for folks who run Firefox that was made by a member here. It helps keep the noise down quite a bit, but doesn't help when folks act the fool in other parts of the forum.
That's kind of a bummer though because there's plenty of good rocket-related stuff in the Watering Hole. Hiding the whole forum is a pretty blunt instrument. I wonder how hard it would be to implement an "ignore post" function in greasemonkey. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days.

bill2654

Reaction score
I disagree. There is nothing useful about the watering hole. Set up the waterhole like the restricted EX catagory. That way the little kiddies here wouldnt be allowed in. Then you can let all the ___ _____ say what ever they like.

heada

Reaction score
There is always the report button. If you come across a post that obviously violates the TOS, then report it. The mods will get the report and can go directly to the post in question. I'm sure that if they see a pattern, then they'll take a corrective action.

-Aaron

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is weird that the "person in question" has been allowed to make multiple user names over the last year and post under different identities. I don't know if he has actually been banned multiple times and come back, or if he has just decided he has tainted his identity beyond repair and decided to start fresh multiple times. I don't know how it is done, but I know that other forums where I have been a member in the past have had ways to prevent, or at least discourage, a person from doing that. Most likely there are ways to get around such measures, but if a person openly admits that they are the same person who disappeared a few days before, and it's also obvious from their style of posting, multiple user identities is not something that should be allowed.

Incongruent

Reaction score
If you want to chat/argue about politics, religion, etc., join a politics forum. Doing it makes the rocketry forum worse for those who don't want to talk about such topics and to an outside viewer, makes all of us rocketeers seem uncivilized.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
/\/\/\/\/\ Cry Baby!
LOL! You are very lucky I have a thick skin and am not a cry baby considering the kind of PMs you've sent me in the past. If I were a complainer, I think you would have had a few problems come out of that.

AdAstraPerAspera

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Check out this thread for a bit of light on this subject. I was honestly pretty surprised at the poll results, but "the numbers don't lie" as they say.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?135394-Stealth6-Unleashed-with-poll

Interestingly, I'm somewhat active on a few other online forums...on topics such as music production, graphic design, bass guitar, bikes, and others....and on ALL of them there is not even the slightest hint of religion, politics, and all the god/guns/country crap you see here. Nothing, nada, completely free of all of it. It's great.
You need to face it - the community on TRF wants it this way. Frankly, I think that's too bad, but it is what it is.

peace, love, and rockets,
s6
All the "God, guns, and country" that you are complaining about are things I see in person at launches all the time. And honestly I appreciate that. It's been part of the rocket community anywhere I've flown for as long as I can remember. It just made sense to me that it would be here, too.

Flame wars and off topic discussion within threads are bad, but as long as it stays in separate threads and doesn't get out of hand I see no issue. But I also see this as a rocket community forum as much or more than a technical one.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There ARE guidelines that MUST be followed, you can't step into the ring and not get your nose boxed in. The offender gets what they deserved, end of sentence. No games, no playing victim, just ban them.