Repairing Damaged HPR Body Tubes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently received a 4" HPR kit (the Aerotech Mega Initiator) from the States. However, it looks like it got the required sitting on, dropping from height, and point damage that China Post seems so good at.

Problem is, the 4" tubes (both of them) are damaged, despite the kit being enclosed inside two high quality boxes. One is seriously out of round with broken creases in the glassine, the other is creased, and has damage that indicates that the point of another box impacted the side of the box the kit was in.

Fortunately, I'm not inclined to send this up with the maxed out motor options, I'm moving toward low and slow (less of a walk, less chance to lose my rocket). But, I want to make this as pretty as possible, if I can. Ordering replacement body tubes from LOC is an option, and it has the same chance of being similarly damaged (if not worse (the nosecone prevented one tube from being completely squashed)).

Here's the rub, I don't have access to wood hardener, my thin CA has hardened into a block of acrylic, and the local thin CA has zero soaking ability into body tubes as I've found. Is there any suggestions out there?

First off, was it insured? Where did you buy it from? If at all possible I would replace it before repairing.
If that is not an option then sand down the glassine around the creases and use thin CA. Hopefully with the bare tube exposed the local CA will soak in. After it hardens, sand smooth. Try to reach both sides, if possible. You may want to consider a coupler to stiffen the damaged area as well, and return it to round. Although that might be overkill.
I have done this to repair rockets with landing damage that is not too severe. Good luck.

Last edited:
i wold take my chances with replacement LOC tubes. if those arrive damaged then you can work to repairing the less damaged of the bunch.

not a timely course of action, but the way i would go

if you can get it back to round, how about glassing it after you do so?

if you can get it back to round, how about glassing it after you do so?
I'd be interested in doing that... But seeing how hard it is to find something as easy to find in the US as Bondo, I don't have much hope of finding proper glassing supplies.

Can you get Carpenters Wood Filler? I've repaired similar damage to cardboard airframe tube with Bondo but CWF might work.

I agree pretty much with all above. Thin CA and if you feel the need, jam a coupler or 2 in there..

UPDATE: Nice thing is that Aerotech is sending me replacements. I don't know what condition they'll arrive in, but I'm hoping for the best. Thanks Guys!!!

Can you get Carpenters Wood Filler? I've repaired similar damage to cardboard airframe tube with Bondo but CWF might work.
Dunno... Haven't looked for that. I was going with what I knew. I'll have to check.

I agree pretty much with all above. Thin CA and if you feel the need, jam a coupler or 2 in there..
If I could get couplers, I would have. Problem is with living and working in China is that it's a country that uses the metric system nearly exclusively, except for what they manufacture for the US market (and subsequently send it there w/o providing it to the local market).

I'd still like to repair the body tubes, and perhaps use them to upscale a Goblin. I do have the 4" MDRM nosecone here.

My personal opinion is that damaged tubes presents a shred risk. Depends on how hard you push it but beware.

Back