Repairing bent tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WombatSoup

Reaction score
How are bent or crinkled body tubes best repaired? My son's Estes Mongoose took a hard landing this weekend, and the main body tube is a bit bent. Also, the booster came straight down fast and hard and sort of folded up like an accordion. I’d like to try to repair it if possible, but with the flimsy tubes on this rocket I’m not especially optimistic. Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Thanks you very much, glad to be here!

I actually saw that thread prior to posting, but was hoping someone had a magic trick that didn't involve adding tube couplers.

My experience with the Mongoose so far (and the EMRR review coroborates this) is that it is a very flawed design - flies quite well but is easily damaged, especially when staged. Tubes aren't a big deal to fix but the melted fin assembly could be a real problem after one or two more launches. I might either get my son another one and try to improve it a bit (I think this could be done mostly with included parts) or find another easy-to-build multi-stage rocket that will hold up a little better.

add to that
the pre-colored tubes from estes seem to be extra flimsy to begin with

If you really like the 2 stage, consider one of these:

Custom Rockets Aztec - A real nice performer on a B0-A3

The venerable CCExpress - As far as I am concerned it sets the standard in BP staging. The sustainer flies nicely by itself.

Both are actually rather easy to build. And both avoid the plastic fin can.

In most cases (unless the model has some special personal meaning to you), you will find it easier to just replace the body tube rather than spend the time to repair it...

Also, welcome to TRF. You won't find a better place on the internet for things rocketry :)

Please visit FlisKits for creative model rocket kits. Our Cheetah 2 stager has become quite popular. All strong tubes and balsawood fins/nose cone. (don't melt :) )

jim

Thanks for all the great tips - I've alread go a CC Express (which I like a lot now that I've redone the recovery system with... :) ) but I'll take a look at those others. I also might send the Mongoose back to Estes and see if they will send a replacement - flawed design, after all...

Here is a picture of my son launching the Mongoose on that fatal flight:

...and one more, the CC Express on my first ever staged flight (note the windsock in the background - great conditions!):

Originally posted by jflis
In most cases (unless the model has some special personal meaning to you), you will find it easier to just replace the body tube rather than spend the time to repair it...

jim

I'd just like to say economically, I'd would be better to replace it. I personally whether significant or not I try to repair for practice if I do mess up a really nice roc that means alot to me or I have spent alot of money on. So basically it's practice for those situations. Just my 2.9 cents.

Ed

Latest posts

Back