Repair of Minie Magg fin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mswiggins

Reaction score
This same thing has happened to me on both my upscaled Stormcaster and Loc Tweed B. I just glued the fin back on with wood glue, put filler in any holes that might be there, and glass all of the fins afterward. This works really well. Just make sure that if you glass it that you make sure all of the paint is sanded off. I learned this when I didn't sand a small part very well on my Tweed B and it began to peel after 6-7 flights.

Wow. The plywood LOC uses doesn't break easily... My guess is there was a fracture in the wood already...

Anywho! How to fix it?

The simplest fix is going to be to just glue it together. First, figure out the angle to slip the piece in such that it's fully back in place. Then, use a paint brush to spread a thin film of yellow wood glue (I prefer Titebond II) on both pieces, put it back together firmly, then clamp it so it stays straight, and let it dry.

If you've not done much with wood glue, the trick is a thin film on both pieces, then clamping. The result is stronger than the wood itself.

If you're not entirely comfortable with just that, when the glue has dried for at least 24 hours, sand off the paint for about 1.5" inches on either side of the joint. On the body tube side, this means you'll have to sand the airframe a bit.

Then, cut two strips of plain printer paper or notebook paper that are 2" wide and the length of the joint. Glue one on each side of the joint as a reinforcement. Use the Titebond II for this, as well. Unnecessary in my opinion, but it doesn't hurt, either.

If it were a larger, heavier rocket, I'd probably suggest 2oz fiberglass instead of the paper, but you'll be fine with this.

-Kevin

I had something similar happen to my Thug even though it was under a 30" chute instead of the 24" that came with it. I used the Titebond to glue it back together.

I like the idea Kevin has about laminating with printer paper. I had some 6oz glass onhand so I used that instead, but the results will be the same.

Unfortunately, if you fly long enough, you'll find out that this isn't a difficult fix, especially after you've done a few.

I inherited a Minnie Magg from a former rocketeer and I have had issues with the fins, but not like that. My problems are that the fins are only slightly thru the wall. The tabs are not very deep and I've had the fins crack the epoxy at the fin to BT joint. I didn't build this and don't have the plans so I don't know if he went short on the fin mounting or not. Here in Florida, our soil is sandy and soft so I don't know how it would have have handeled the concrete like clay up north?

BTW I put mine up on a H148R also yesterday, it was an awesome flight. I love that long red flame on this short stubby rocket.

Pre-launch photo from a launch late last year...awaiting a liftoff pic from yesterday.

Mini Magg Flight 4a.jpg

Last edited:
I inherited a Minnie Magg from a former rocketeer and I have had issues with the fins, but not like that. My problems are that the fins are only slightly thru the wall. The tabs are not very deep and I've had the fins crack the epoxy at the fin to BT joint. I didn't build this and don't have the plans so I don't know if he went short on the fin mounting or not. Here in Florida, our soil is sandy and soft so I don't know how it would have have handeled the concrete like clay up north?

Older versions of LOC kits had 'through the wall' fins, which had short tabs that went through the body tube, but not much further.

Several years back, Barry changed many of the kits to "to the motor mount" fins, meaning longer tabs that extended all the way through.

-Kevin

Older versions of LOC kits had 'through the wall' fins, which had short tabs that went through the body tube, but not much further.

Several years back, Barry changed many of the kits to "to the motor mount" fins, meaning longer tabs that extended all the way through.

-Kevin

Thanks for that info. I have no idea of when mine was built. I've repainted it, the original paint had yellowed quite a bit. Mine was found in an attic by a non-rocketeer friend who bought a house recently. He found and gave me 6 MPR and 4 HPR rockets. It was a gold mine of a find. I can only guess that perhaps the original owner either passed on or just stored them and forgot when the house was sold. The house had been sold a couple of times prior to my friend buying it.

Yesterday, I launched my LOC Minie Magg on an H148 for a perfect flight.
When I walked up to the rocket, I discovered that one of the fins had broken. I guess the fin got caught in the sod as it landed and the fin snapped.
I had used the supplied parachute and it was fully inflated.

Any ideas on this repair? Thanks for any hints.

https://sears572.com/gallery/album11/Broken_fin_from_landing_2_small

https://sears572.com/gallery/album11/Broken_fin_from_landing_3_small

Marty

I know this is an old post, but how did you end up fixing your fin? I have a Minie Magg that I haven't flown yet, so I'm curious.

Back