Repainting heat damaged paint jobs

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Mike, Nov 3, 2002.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 3, 2002 #1

Mike

Mike

Mike

I've recently flown my first D powered rocket, a scratch built minimum diameter rocket.

A flew it for the first time and when it came back the paint just above the thrust ring had blistered presumably from the heat of the ejection charge. Two questions then.

How can i repair then damaged paint? Presumably I cant just paint over it so whats a good way of removing it.

Secondly, How can I stop this happening in future?

TIA
    Mike

2. Nov 3, 2002 #2

jflis

jflis

jflis

With the model already built, you are limited in what you can do. Probably the easiest is to take a wood dowel, long enough to easily reach to the engine block, from the top/front of the rocket. Using this tool, "paint" the inside of the body tube with epoxy for about a 3" - 4" length from the engine block forward (don't get any epoxy below the engine block or it could stick to the motor)

When *building* a minimum diameter rocket, (assuming this isn't for competition), I take about a 3-4" length of body tube, cut a slit the full length of the tube so that I can overlap the edge a bit and slip it INSIDE the main body tube. I push this up to the position of the engine block and it serves the purpose of an engine block as well as a double walled body tube at the point of greatest heat.

jim

3. Nov 4, 2002 #3

Mike

Mike

Mike

Thanks Jim,
    I'm going to take the blistered paint off with a bit of wet and dry paper, repaint, then line with epoxy.

Thanks