Removing Plastic Rivets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody have any problems removing the plastic rivets without tearing up the paint on the rocket?
Been doing some testing with some scrap pieces I have laying around.....finding it hard to remove them without marring up the surface around them

place some tape to either side of the rivet and use a plastic sprue cutters (flush cutters for separating parts from model kit sprues) and the jaws will slide just under the edge of the rivet allowing the head to be lifted. Or just don't worry to much about a little superficial paint damage, odds are the trip up the rail/rod and the landing did/will do far worse.

I have my special rivet tool. A small screwdriver with tape on it to protect the paint when I pry on the rivet.

Not fancy, but it works.

79A214A2-BA69-42F1-A427-DB8963841C48.jpeg9232B49E-F324-4FB5-939D-554BC74E9E5A.jpegA94705F2-15D8-4117-98B4-F270D4487AD2.jpeg

I use the can opener attachment on my Swiss Army knife. That blade slips under the rivet top and I haven’t noticed any damage.

Last edited:
Ive had luck with my thumbnails on the lateral sides of the river (where the airframe curves slightly away from the head)

There are several types of pliers availible, some I have tried are a little thick to get under the head of certain styles of rivets. Just need to watch out for the thickness of the pliers to judge if it will work for your application.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-085600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-085600_Chrome.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210403-085528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-085528_Chrome.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210403-085450_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-085450_Chrome.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
I just use an exacto knife, using the backside, not the sharp side. Wiggle a little, then over to the other side until the rivet rises enough to grab with either pliers or fingers. It still messes the paint a little and leaves slight dents in cardboard rockets. if you’re using the rivets to hold a nosecone, just use the friction fit method instead.

I just use an exacto knife, using the backside, not the sharp side. Wiggle a little, then over to the other side until the rivet rises enough to grab with either pliers or fingers. It still messes the paint a little and leaves slight dents in cardboard rockets. if you’re using the rivets to hold a nosecone, just use the friction fit method instead.

Make sure you wear safety googles!

My fingernails are obscenely thick and strong. I just pinch it between my thumbnail and indexnail. Pull right out, probably something that a lot of people can do. As a side note, don't leave your rivets on the rocket at home. Just leads to buildup and sticking.

Back