Removing paint dams?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightly sanding with 1000 grit then 2000 grit will get rid of the paint ridges left after removing masking tape. But the area sanded will have a flat finish so it will be necessary to polish with car polish after sanding.

Usually when I have paint ridges I just leave them there until after I spray clear coat. I always wet sand and polish the clear coat which also removes any paint ridges.

Lightly sanding with 1000 grit then 2000 grit will get rid of the paint ridges left after removing masking tape. But the area sanded will have a flat finish so it will be necessary to polish with car polish after sanding.

Usually when I have paint ridges I just leave them there until after I spray clear coat. I always wet sand and polish the clear coat which also removes any paint ridges.

One important tip - WET sand! This keeps the sandpaper from clogging up.

When I've had a dark color next to a light color I've had the problem of the dark being ground into the light color even when wet sanding. Any tips for solving that issue?

When I've had a dark color next to a light color I've had the problem of the dark being ground into the light color even when wet sanding. Any tips for solving that issue?

I have seen that happen with wetsanding but it was only on the surface and easily came off with some polish (automotive swirl remover polish).

I tried some Rust-Oleum clear enamel over my colored enamel paints and it did some weird stuff, like dissolving some spots and bubbling up patches of the underlying paint. I made sure not to lay it on too heavy. Any idea why it would do that? Bad batch maybe?

Wet sanding with 600 to 2000 grit sandpaper is one way to remove really thick Heavy a Paint dams but as Nathan mentioned it really dulls down the finish.
A better way is to use 3m Perfect-it-III for those really thick Heavy paint dams or (preferred) 3m Finessit-II just takes a bit longer as it is a much finer Polishing medium.
Leaves the areas smooth as a babies but and High Gloss to boot.
Both materials are on the expensive side (22.00 +) a quart but well worth it in providing a method of removing surface imperfections, dust, hair and paint dams without dulling the surface.
Using ONLY Finessit-II I've removed not only mulit-color paint dams. but also actual "Brush marks" from Rattle Can & Hand painted camouflage PMC paint patterns. To the touch there is no difference in paint level.

RKTman: I think I've mentioned before if you really want to get into proper paint techniques Please Visit www.narhams.org website. from the left hand menu go to the Library section. Once there look for the Tech Tip folder. Down load (FREE) Tech Tips-002 to 005 on prep and Finishing. These in depth studies will take you from Raw Wood & cardboard to babies butt smooth finishes ANYONE can produce from rattle can and bottle paints. I've updated these Tech Tips recently with new data and techniques that should help answer many of your questions.

170_F104-G-StarFighter-PMC_32nd.jpg

Wet sanding with 600 to 2000 grit sandpaper is one way to remove really thick Heavy a Paint dams but as Nathan mentioned it really dulls down the finish.
A better way is to use 3m Perfect-it-III for those really thick Heavy paint dams or (preferred) 3m Finessit-II just takes a bit longer as it is a much finer Polishing medium.
Leaves the areas smooth as a babies but and High Gloss to boot.
Both materials are on the expensive side (22.00 +) a quart but well worth it in providing a method of removing surface imperfections, dust, hair and paint dams without dulling the surface.
Using ONLY Finessit-II I've removed not only mulit-color paint dams. but also actual "Brush marks" from Rattle Can & Hand painted camouflage PMC paint patterns. To the touch there is no difference in paint level.

RKTman: I think I've mentioned before if you really want to get into proper paint techniques Please Visit www.narhams.org website. from the left hand menu go to the Library section. Once there look for the Tech Tip folder. Down load (FREE) Tech Tips-002 to 005 on prep and Finishing. These in depth studies will take you from Raw Wood & cardboard to babies butt smooth finishes ANYONE can produce from rattle can and bottle paints. I've updated these Tech Tips recently with new data and techniques that should help answer many of your questions.

I have some Finesse-It II and tried it, but maybe just didn't rub it in long enough. I'll give it another try with a good dose of patience thrown
in.

I have had tremendous success with ordinary baking soda with my model trains and static models over the years. My technique involves smearing a blop of dampened baking soda on the surface in question using an old toothbrush and simply rotate in a circular fashion till the paste dries then apply either some more water or another dose of dampened baking soda. To cleanse simply immerse the area then wipe away any residue. Remember, baking soda is a mild abrasive also used as an inexpensive way to whiten teeth! Got glowing compliments from one of the IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Society) judges at the 2005 national convention in Phoenix, AZ about the surface of my WWII Type VIIc u-boat model and how the camouflage pattern blended seamlessly without any inclination of masking whatsoever. Was rather proud of that compliment if I do say so myself.

I have had tremendous success with ordinary baking soda with my model trains and static models over the years. My technique involves smearing a blop of dampened baking soda on the surface in question using an old toothbrush and simply rotate in a circular fashion till the paste dries then apply either some more water or another dose of dampened baking soda. To cleanse simply immerse the area then wipe away any residue. Remember, baking soda is a mild abrasive also used as an inexpensive way to whiten teeth! Got glowing compliments from one of the IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Society) judges at the 2005 national convention in Phoenix, AZ about the surface of my WWII Type VIIc u-boat model and how the camouflage pattern blended seamlessly without any inclination of masking whatsoever. Was rather proud of that compliment if I do say so myself.

Thanks, I'll try it on an isolated area first. It tends to dull the paint and so far other methods have chipped the paint dam line, making it uneven.

I have some Finesse-It II and tried it, but maybe just didn't rub it in long enough. I'll give it another try with a good dose of patience thrown
in.

Wet sanding requires a lot of patience but it will remove the paint dams!

Wet sanding requires a lot of patience but it will remove the paint dams!

How do you prevent chipping along the demarcation line between the 2 colors? That's the problem I'm having, so that the line between the colors is no longer razor sharp as tiny flakes from the topmost color break off. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my laying down a clear coat first along the tape line to seal it and prevent bleed through when I applied the 2nd color.

How do you prevent chipping along the demarcation line between the 2 colors? That's the problem I'm having, so that the line between the colors is no longer razor sharp as tiny flakes from the topmost color break off. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my laying down a clear coat first along the tape line to seal it and prevent bleed through when I applied the 2nd color.

Never heard of the chipping as you describe but I only put clear coat on after all paint is applied.
What I do to prevent bleed through is hit the taped area with the same color I am painting over. This way any bleed though is same color and will seal tape and prevent topcoat from bleeding through.

I only wet sand after I have sprayed clear coat, usually 4 or 5 coats. Check out my L3 Certification Build thread. I am now in the process of doing a 4 color paint job with lots of paint edges that need to be smoothed out. I'll be wet sanding it (all 14 feet of it) after I spray the clear coat.

Can you post a photo of the U-boat?

I lightly block sand with 600 wet between colours, but lightly. You just want to knock it down a bit then deal with making it flush on your clear. But a block is your friend in this case.

Back