Removing Epoxy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Reaction score
When I attached the shock cord mount to my aura, I applied the glue to both sides of the masking tape-so now there isn't enough space for the nose cone!
Is there any way I can remove this epoxy (without using a heat gun, it's on the inside of the body tube)
Tom

In a space that small, your options are limited. If you are off by just a little, you could trim a bit off the shoulder of the nose cone at the offending site. If it costs you the shock cord attachment point, you could make a bulkhead to secure to the inside of the nose cone. I'm doing that to my latest Big Daddy. Lastly you could cut down the BT to the point where it is free of epoxy giving you an Aur, a shortened Aura. Then, reattach the shock cord at a deeper location.

I usually use a rat tail file or rasp to remove excess epoxy from the inner wall of a tube. A dowel wrapped with coarse sandpaper or aggressive emery cloth also works. Be careful to only sand the epoxy and not any adjacent areas of the wall.

A side note: I keep wondering why I can never find a tool that combines the features of a rat tail and a bastard file. Whenever I ask the guy at the hardware store for a "rat-bastard" file, he just gives me a funny look...

Back