Removing clay nozzles from spent BP motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A somewhat wise man said, "There is no such thing as a stupid question". Well, maybe, maybe not. I have some rack displays on my wall, some of my rockets have fins extending way below the bottom of the body tube, and I usually glue a couple of spent casings together to support them. My question is, what is the best way to remove the clay nozzles from BP motors? I've tried different ideas with mixed success, and would appreciate anyone's advice to do them efficiently. I have a Dremel, plus a manual drill press, and would like to know how others do this. I do not feel very safe holding a casing in my hand while trying to drill out the nozzle with a drill. Welcome any ideas, and thanks in advance.

I don't do this regularly, but once they are spent, a good whack will get those clay nozzles started crumbling and once they start crumbling it's not hard to remove the rest. You could hammer a nail or punch into it or even crush it with needle nose pliers by inserting one side into the nozzle and have the other side against the casing and squeeze. You definitely don't need anything as sophisticated as a drill.

What @Antares JS said. Our club uses spent casings as standoffs for our launch rods so we've removed lots of nozzles. A small squeeze with a pair of pliers to the OD of the casing will start the crumble and the rest of the clay can easily be removed.

Like they said above. The head of a framing nail stuck in a piece of wood, a dowel, etc....

Stick the spent casing over your punch, and give it a hit with a hammer or a 2x4.
Threaded rod has been usefull a couple times because the thread eats away at the clay pretty quickly when ran up and down, but that's slower than Whack-a-nozzle

~A

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice. Need to get longer framing nails so's I don't hammer my thumb, but already tried that trick, and it went pretty quick.

Blast it Tom - I can't say I've had a A10 voluntarily lose a nozzle, but have had plenty of E9's.

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice. Need to get longer framing nails so's I don't hammer my thumb, but already tried that trick, and it went pretty quick.

Blast it Tom - I can't say I've had a A10 voluntarily lose a nozzle, but have had plenty of E9's.

Yes, hammering your thumb goes quite quickly... (sad voice of experience) :D

Those little A10's sounded like firecrackers (small ones). I can about imagine an E9 blowout!

Yes, hammering your thumb goes quite quickly... (sad voice of experience) :D

Those little A10's sounded like firecrackers (small ones). I can about imagine an E9 blowout!
The funny thing was, it was three in a row in the same rocket. You would have thought I would have figured out that particular batch was bad, but no, I kept trying.;)

The funny thing was, it was three in a row in the same rocket. You would have thought I would have figured out that particular batch was bad, but no, I kept trying.;)

Well, same with me, but at least mine was tumble recovery (Odd'l Birdie). Hope yours blew on the pad without further damage. Anything flying with an E9 usually doesn't fare well when recovery doesn't deploy...

Well, same with me, but at least mine was tumble recovery (Odd'l Birdie). Hope yours blew on the pad without further damage. Anything flying with an E9 usually doesn't fare well when recovery doesn't deploy...
Each time, it destroyed the motor mount, built another and repeat. Didn't harm the rest of the rocket though.

DUDE, no hammering needed. Just getcha a big screwdriver, stick in the the hole and twist, the clay will crumble right out. Its not rocket science

For 18 mm I use a 1/2 drill bit I turn by hand to clear the nozzles. This also clears most BP residue. I then glue them to 1/2" dowel rod. I'll glue 24 mm moters to the outside of the 18's. The 13 mm go straight on the 1/2" dowels. Need to mark orientation on the 24 mm as they taper and get pretty snug wrong end first. I drill those out with the 1/2" to then break the rest out.

Jim and Michael - thanks to you both for the advice. I tried the screwdriver and that worked pretty good. And Jim, I thought it was all rocket science, grin.

Michael, I do use 1/2" dowels on my racks, and what you say is correct. Thanks.

Another option is to use a vice grips and squeeze the end with the clay. Squeeze the clay and it usually breaks up and falls out. Use an old screwdriver to clean out the rest.

Another option is to use a vice grips and squeeze the end with the clay. Squeeze the clay and it usually breaks up and falls out. Use an old screwdriver to clean out the rest.
Works well. But then ya gotta remember that end's compromised and to turn them around when pounding in a new nozzle for reloading with fireworks formulations--they also make great tubes for super sparky fountains! Old compromised original nozzle end is fine for retaining clay bottom end caps.

I had exactly the same thing happen, except no damage to the rocket at all. Three E-9s, three times in a row, same rocket, same day. There would be a not-too-loud pop, flame would pour out the back, and nothing else would happen at all. It tried futilely to cook the blast deflector and otherwise just sat there.

Back