Removal of damaged, glued-on 5 1/2" NC?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
My 5 1/2" rear ejection crayon had a hard, nose-first landing. The only damage was to the NC (see photos). I'm not sure of the best way to remove the damaged NC and thought I'd ask for advice. There is a bulkhead under the NC, so the NC cannot be accessed from the bottom of the rocket. The old thing I can think to do is to cut or saw off as much of the damaged NC as is possible, then to rip out the glued part piece by piece, hopefully without damaging the airframe.

Any better ideas?
Thanks,
Bill
20210121_190214.jpg

You could try drilling a hole through the nose laterally, sticking a dowell or rod through, and using that as a handle to extract some of the crumpled portion. after that (if you intend to try and salvage the tube) try a heat gun on the tube to soften adhesive and removing pieces like you suggested. Plus, if you can remove as much of the forward cone as possible, you can score or cut the remaining shoulder ring into pieces that are easier to peal out

Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose a hair dryer would soften the glue? I don't have a heat gun.

I got it off, it was not too difficult. Heat was not needed, there was not much glue.

Only issue now is where to find a replacement NC. I thought this was a 5 1/2" airframe, but it measures at 5 3/4" OD with an inner diameter of 5 5/8". I'll start a new thread on this.

Back