Remote build with kids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman4h

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In mIchigan, I have built rocketsd with hundreds of kids we always have a great time doing it with a lot of excitement for the launch. They are so proud of their creation they try to run out to the field! Do every time I slow them down. We load up the engines install the Estes igniter in to 5 rockets ( I launch them on groups More fun and gets through the 50 or so kids a bit quicker) get a safe distance away then every on counts down 5...4...3..2..1 then fizz all 5 just sit there... through my 2 packs of bulk A8-3 engines only 25 of them lit. I do use a nice 12v battery and had super clean igniter clips with good voltage and continuity. I ran home and got my hand dipped igniters and launch the remainder with those. Since that fateful day, I only use my own igniters. So here is the issue...
Over the labor day weekend I am visiting my old friends in northern Texas. I am sure i can pick up motors locally. I cerntally will not fly with those. What to do about the igniters?

The current batch of white tip igniters dont have a pyrogen on the end.
-You need to make sure the wire is in direct contact with the propellant so that it lights when the nichrome heats up. May require more careful installation
-You need to hold the launch button down longer so that the current can flow and heat the igniter. They are no longer instant on like the black tip igniters
-Sufficient power source is needed for clusters/drag races (sounds like your battery should suffice)

Learned the one from our sorely missed der Micromeister, who passed about a year ago.

Ditch the plastic plugs.

Roll up a small ball of wadding (tissue or cellulose), big enough that tamped down it will fill the nozzle hole.

Get your rocket set up for launch, including recovery system and wadding. You don’t want to bump the igniter any more than necessary to get it on the pad,

Slightly spread the igniter leads to make sure they don’t cross and short circuit, but still narrow enough to drop into the nozzle. I usually leave the tape on.

With nozzle facing up, drop your standard new Estes “starter” into the nozzle. Should drop all the way to the propellant.

Drop your wadding ball onto the nozzle between the leads. Use something slightly pointed (I like a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted. A toothpick is TOO sharp) to tamp the wadding into the nozzle. It should push the leads in the nozzle away from each other. Shove it in tight. In a small rocket, it should be tight enough you can actually gently lift the Rocket by the igniter wires.

A small piece of tape over the nozzle doesn’t hurt, but don’t wrap it up around the sides.

For non cluster motors, my success even with the new non pyrogens starters for single motors is about 95% with this. I don’t do as well with the new starters with clusters, even with 12 volt source,

my my what the years make one forget.... Thank you BarBar....That was my old trick but i can say i never attempted to hold the rocket by to starter wires.... 12v is a must

Some other ways to skin this cat....

Ways to improve Estes starters
1) Dip in pyrogen
2) Dip in Instrument NC lacquer multiple times, allowing drying time between
3) Dip in NC laquer and dip the wet end in 3 or 4F equivalent pyrodex. Re-dip in lacquer to seal. Don't get carried away, or the end will get too large.
4) Put a very little pinch (literally, crumbs) of 4F BP in the inverted motor before inserting the factory starter (properly)

In all the above cases, keeping the wires separate and having good technique is important, as mentioned above by @BABAR .

I have been more consistent with dog barf/cellulose than with plugs, but the difference is not that significant. I have had excellent luck with options 1, 3, and 4. #2 may work just as well, but I had powder around, and couldn't help myself.....

For a big group of kids, our club usually does #4.

Back