Reminder to Arm Electronics - Options?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
Saturday I launched my dual deploy Ascender (link). After racking it, I forgot to arm the electronics. Ugh!

I had the LCO stop the countdown of another flyer's rocket when I realized m mistake, as it was on the same pad system.

Here is the av bay buttoned up and ready to fly for the second time.

Ascender.Av.Bay.Loaded.Wt.jpg

On the pad for its maiden flight.

Ascender.First.DD.Flight.2016-10-08.jpg

I would like to see what others do for DD arming reminders, so if you don't mind I would like to see some pics.

Greg

Can't see what kind of switch you're using. They sell those "Remove Before Flight" banners. You could maybe take a very small streamer of some sort and tape it to the AV Bay. Even if you forget to arm, you'll see the streamer and realize it right away. Or someone else will.

I am fortunate enough to have never had this problem. I walk out there with screwdriver in hand, and I really can't imagine forgetting. But if I ever do, I'll be awfully sorry!

Can't see what kind of switch you're using. They sell those "Remove Before Flight" banners. You could maybe take a very small streamer of some sort and tape it to the AV Bay. Even if you forget to arm, you'll see the streamer and realize it right away. Or someone else will.

I am fortunate enough to have never had this problem. I walk out there with screwdriver in hand, and I really can't imagine forgetting. But if I ever do, I'll be awfully sorry!

I use the Eggtimer Quantums, so it's all wireless for me. No screwdriver needed; just my phone. Not a problem for me since I always have my phone on me. Plus, I love how it will verify that I have continuity with the ematches.

I am using a micro switch where a 1/8" rod inserted causes the circuit to open.

Av.Bay.Switch.Side.jpg

A streamer sounds like it might be a good idea.

Greg

I bring my pad checklist with me and run through the list wife my wife/pad-assistant.

I've become a slave to checklists on anything HPR.

A checklist is the simplest solution.

The problem with a checklist is that, at least in this case, it is too short to be of any value, at least for me.

1. Connect igniter leads
2. Arm electronics

I am not saying they are not of value, I am saying I may forget to look at the checklist since it is so brief. I may have to rethink the idea of having a checklist, since I came close to letting it fly without the removing the arming pin.

Greg

Another option is to tape over the nozzle of the motor. Since you'll have to remove the tape in order to get the igniter in, maybe it will make you think, "Better arm the altimeter first!"

I tape the screwdriver used for arming to the airframe and its not removed until the unit is ready to be armed, then the screwdriver goes into my pocket, notice the picture below the igniter is taped to the airframe as well, and the tape has uses for securing the igniter or pad leads (the bulb under my pinky finger is the igniter head).

FITS May 28 2016-54cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Tape or attach your igniter to the arming switch so you have to "on the switch" before your igniter is hooked up.

1. Connect igniter leads
2. Arm electronics

Not to be a complete jerk, but that's it? Hard to imagine this 2-step sequence is a problem, especially when electronics are all about hearing the "beeps."

Suggestion: Avoid distractions. I load my rocket myself and avoid chit chat at the pads. I am focused on loading, rod angle, tightening all pad adjusters, wind, igniter, continuity, electronics, etc.

Oh, be warned that the safety police will chime in and tell you that number one on your list should be arm electronics, then connect igniters. Well, I guess I just did. :wink:

Not to be a complete jerk, but that's it? Hard to imagine this 2-step sequence is a problem, especially when electronics are all about hearing the "beeps."

Suggestion: Avoid distractions. I load my rocket myself and avoid chit chat at the pads. I am focused on loading, rod angle, tightening all pad adjusters, wind, igniter, continuity, electronics, etc.

Oh, be warned that the safety police will chime in and tell you that number one on your list should be arm electronics, then connect igniters. Well, I guess I just did. :wink:

I likely err on the obsessive side, but here's my general checklist.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kCRuPwaKkhFeMJiD2O1Q8uuy0Xg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Arming the electronics should be just a regular part of the process. As regular as installing the motor and loading it on the pad. With that being said, I forgot to put my ejection charge in a motor this past weekend (was using electronics, motor was just backup) and forgot to hook my shock cord to my nose cone. I remembered way before I left my prep table, but sometimes things happen.

I was going to mention the Dino Chutes streamer, but Cameron beat me to it. But of course you have to remember to wrap that around your rocket.

I've gone wireless on a lot of stuff. Really foolproof. Otherwise, I simply, absolutely and positively resolve never to ever bend down to insert an igniter WITHOUT being certain the electronics are on period. Checklists are fine and if I was going to
be flying a complex say 2 stager with multiple electronics I'd consider a checklist mandatory for myself. With my rockets with keyswitches that have the keys locked in the switch when they are off, it's long fluorescent streamer tails on
I gotta hear the ready beeps. I've never had a launch with the electronics left off over 12 years. Ok, there's always a first time but I'm aware of that. Kurt

I use to keep it really simple -- put a tape flag on the leading edge of a fin, so it sticks out. Removal of the flag is the very last step you perform before leaving the pad. It's cheap, too!

Here is one I started. Got the idea here on TRF. I have never used it. Print it out on cardstock and cut 4 from one sheet. It's not finished, but easily modified. It's one on an older version of Excel.

View attachment 312005

Maybe someone can get some use out of it.

Here is one I started. Got the idea here on TRF. I have never used it. Print it out on cardstock and cut 4 from one sheet. It's not finished, but easily modified. It's one on an older version of Excel.

View attachment 312005

Maybe someone can get some use out of it.

I'm sure there are other apps too, but I set up a per-rocket checklist in Google keep (so it's available on my phone but I can edit on the computer too). It is very extensive and covers everything from checking that qyicklinks are fastened, to each deployment charge being set up, to powering the tracker, to the final arming and insertion of the ignitor. If it's something that has to get done before the rocket launches then it is a step on the list. After a launch I just unvhwck everything, and the rocket doesn't launch until everything is checked off. It's all on my phone so it's with me, and I also have my phone out already to arm my quantum's.it might be a bit overkill, but I'm flying heavy objects thousands of feet in the air, not to mention sunk an absurd amount of time into building them :)

The problem with a checklist is that, at least in this case, it is too short to be of any value, at least for me.

1. Connect igniter leads
2. Arm electronics

I am not saying they are not of value, I am saying I may forget to look at the checklist since it is so brief. I may have to rethink the idea of having a checklist, since I came close to letting it fly without the removing the arming pin.

Greg

The electronics should always be armed before the igniter gets connected, In the case of my Double Shot, there were a total of four altimeters (3 Quantums and a TRS) and two trackers... the sequence goes like this.

1) Arm sustainer deployment controller
2) Arm booster deployment/separation controller
3) Arm sustainer backup controller (TRS in the nose for backup main only)
4) Insert booster igniter and connect
5) Arm airstart controller remotely (also backup drogue)
6) Launch

With a 2-stager, you want the deployment controllers armed first in case a motor goes off, then you won't have a lawn dart. The chance of that happening is very remote, especially with a Quantum since it essentially has two switches like a launch controller, but it's always better to err on the side of safety.

The electronics should always be armed before the igniter gets connected, In the case of my Double Shot, there were a total of four altimeters (3 Quantums and a TRS) and two trackers... the sequence goes like this.

1) Arm sustainer deployment controller
2) Arm booster deployment/separation controller
3) Arm sustainer backup controller (TRS in the nose for backup main only)
4) Insert booster igniter and connect
5) Arm airstart controller remotely (also backup drogue)
6) Launch

With a 2-stager, you want the deployment controllers armed first in case a motor goes off, then you won't have a lawn dart. The chance of that happening is very remote, especially with a Quantum since it essentially has two switches like a launch controller, but it's always better to err on the side of safety.

Any reason for the order of Sustainer deployment controller followed by booster? Is it so you're working your way down the stack in case something goes kerfluffle? Or just how you do it?

Some mentioned other aps, I purchased one awhile ago for iPhone called iPower Rocket- I don't use it much anymore, but it has a per-rocket customizable checklist function. One of the problems is you have to enter the design of each rocket you have, and I'm just not that patient. it does do some nice sims, and has a flight log and even a parachute template generator. Maybe I'll start using it again...

Any reason for the order of Sustainer deployment controller followed by booster? Is it so you're working your way down the stack in case something goes kerfluffle? Or just how you do it?

Some mentioned other aps, I purchased one awhile ago for iPhone called iPower Rocket- I don't use it much anymore, but it has a per-rocket customizable checklist function. One of the problems is you have to enter the design of each rocket you have, and I'm just not that patient. it does do some nice sims, and has a flight log and even a parachute template generator. Maybe I'll start using it again...

It's the kerfuffle thing. You would not want your booster to fire without the sustainer being ready.

1. Connect igniter leads
2. Arm electronics

Greg

-1. Verify recovery devices are installed and properly connected.
-2. Add recovery wadding/dog barf (if applicable).

I likely err on the obsessive side, but here's my general checklist.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kCRuPwaKkhFeMJiD2O1Q8uuy0Xg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for sharing this, I am always curious how other people do things especially since I'm new to Dual deploy in particular. One thing I have been told is to verify continuity before loading the charge (at least in the manuals for the computers I'm using (Quark, Quantum, Eggtimer), and I noticed in your list you do it after. It seems that the manual recommendation is "safer", but i don't have any practical experience, and like I said, very little knowledge!

Tape or attach your igniter to the arming switch so you have to "on the switch" before your igniter is hooked up.

Er, ummmm, Doesn't help for my two rockets that have a spring loaded locking toggle switch on the aft nosecone bulkhead to turn on and arm a MAD deployment device (Galejs)
Since the rockets are apogee only I don't care if the "toggle" gets turned off after the deployment event but the lock holds 'em on every time. This is a switch that locks
as I have to "pull out" the spring toggle to move it and it springs down to lock in a notch. It's not a simple toggle switch. I tape the igniter to the rocket and set the rocket
on the pad. First step is lift up the nosecone, move the toggle switch to "on" and confirm it's on by the green LED I can see in a viewing hole I cut in the coupler.
Very carefully lower the NC on the body and then attend to the igniter. Kurt

Yes, if the sustainer lights on the pad for some reason (EXTREMELY unlikely, but you gotta plan for the worst case scenario) you don't want it coming in ballistic. I always arm the airstart controller last. The Quantum makes this really easy... you can stand back from the rocket and arm everything without your face being against it.

Back