Remember sitting the library for hours over the old microfiche??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I was sat in front of my computer earlier, just reading through some old research posts.... scroll... scroll... scroll... click.. scroll.. scroll..

Things havent changed that much.... :lol:

edit

for youngsters

Microfiche was SQL before Borland and Oracle came along.

I will give you that one, but the trick was in the 'finding' of the information you wanted.....

Yeah, it was painful, wasn't it? I spend many hours looking through indices on microfiche to see which microfiche to read. I love Google after that!

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Catalogs, 6-8wks for delivery, SASE, microfiche, typing pools, written phone messages, rewinding VHS.... all in my pocket now!

I remember those... I remember having to use them to research something for a speech at SOSC (now SOU)

Catalogs, 6-8wks for delivery, SASE, microfiche, typing pools, written phone messages, rewinding VHS.... all in my pocket now!

Telephone books, 8 Tracks, audio cassettes, flipping laser disks.

The survey equipment I used in the late 1960's is now collectible. Used a hand crank calculator to close out the surveys at first and then had a motor driven Smith-Corona Marchant. Woo-hoo!

Way before the days of automated equipment, theodolites, etc.

Depending on what you are looking for, there is still a lot of stuff in microfiche that you won't find anywhere else.

I was sat in front of my computer earlier, just reading through some old research posts.... scroll... scroll... scroll... click.. scroll.. scroll..

Things havent changed that much.... :lol:

edit

for youngsters

Microfiche was SQL before Borland and Oracle came along.
It's still the only way to find some things as there's all kinds of technical materials that still haven't been converted to digital form and probably never will be.

One of my co-workers just brought in a manual punch card puncher (youngsters: stack of punch cards = a earth-is-still-hot-era thumb drive). I figured out it was for punching small holes in a single sheet, but not what the card/paper was for.

Yeah, and good luck finding a microfiche reader to read it with!

I have 5 of them in my office, two are connected to computers to save to .pdf format. I have a whole storage unit filled with microfiche with all the documents recorded in several Arizona counties. There is ALOT of microfiche out there.

Back