reloadable engine ????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipp

Reaction score
whats a good multi use reloadable motor, and where can someone get one at??????????

i use the at casings the 29 40-120... ive actually only had 2 launches with the casings but their easy to assemble, clean, use etc. and it can use alot of engines, from E16's to G64's

most stores carry them online

ive heard about dr. rocket and some other companies but i couldn't tell you about any of them

For midpower rockets, the Aerotech 29/40-120 case seems the most popular by far. I've only launched the G64's with it, but like rabidsheep said, there are a TON of motors for it! Also, it's very simple to assemble, only two closures, three o-rings, a plastic ring, the delay element, and the motor itself.

Originally posted by n3tjm
What power range are you looking for? D-F? E-G? or something bigger?
I was thinking D-F for starters....

RMS 24/40 is a good case. You have the choice of D9W, D15T, E11J, E18W, E28T, F12J, F24W, and F39T. Check Magnum Hobbies or Performance Hobbies to see if they have any of the cases in stock :).

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
ive heard about dr. rocket and some other companies but i couldn't tell you about any of them

Dr. Rocket's products are very good, as are the Pro series from CTI. You can get Dr. Rockets down to 29mm, but as far as I know, the Pro series only goes down to 38mm.

But for versatility, the 29 40-120 is outstanding.

WW

Dr. Rockets and ProXX don't handle mid power - they are high power only. For mid power, your best bets are the Aerotech 29mm 40-120N, and the 24mm 40N casing. These two casings will pretty much handle all your midpower needs, with the 24mm motor handling the D-F reloads, and the 29mm casing handling a multitude of reloads from E-G. Great cases, and really the only options for mid power reloadables.

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
Dr. Rockets and ProXX don't handle mid power - they are high power only.

Well, mainly. There are some G reloads for both, and F for Dr Rocket.

Originally posted by n3tjm
RMS 24/40 is a good case. You have the choice of D9W, D15T, E11J, E18W, E28T, F12J, F24W, and F39T. Check Magnum Hobbies or Performance Hobbies to see if they have any of the cases in stock :).
I second the RMS 24/40, for a lot of good reasons:

1. It fits a standard "D" motor mount, meaning you can use it in all your existing rockets with this size MMT (you may have to file down the forward end of the motor hook in some rockets though).

2. With reloads spanning the "D" to "F" range, you have a lot of variety in one case.

3. Reloads for this case come in very affordable 3-packs.

4. It's a great way to add excitement to underpowered, large model rockets that are just "blah" on a D12 or E9. For example, the Estes Saturn V is just beautiful on an F24. And the Maxi V-2 just cries out for an E18, F24 or F39.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
i use the at casings the 29 40-120... ive actually only had 2 launches with the casings but their easy to assemble, clean, use etc. and it can use alot of engines, from E16's to G64's

Count me in as another fan of this great casing. I have found that it is easier to get the reloads for this casing than the 24/40. I am particularly fond of the G64W, F22J, & F40W reloads...

My only other recommendation is to not use the included Copperhead ignitor & get yourself a pack (or two or three) of Quickburst Twiggys to use instead. They rock! :D

YMMV,

firstfire's are good, but they're a little large to fit into a MPR motor, other than like a G80 or something with a HUGE slot.

I wish to second the 18, 24, 29 mm case hobby set. You, no doubt, have rockets with these MM's. A heavy 18mm "C" class rocket takes on a whole new life on a D13 or a D24. And a heavy 24mm "D" bird will 'light your fire' on a wide range of E's and F's. The 29mm case will prep you for your level 1. I really enjoy those little cases!!!

The only reason I might shy away from the 18mm casing for a little while is the availablility of reloads. They seem pretty hard to find right now, but the 24mm and 29mm hobby reloads seem fairly abundant.

As for the Copperheads - if you use them properly, you'll have pretty good success! I run about 95% success with the supplied Copperhead ignitors. Just handle them gently. Basically, I insert them as directed, then hold them in place with masking tape rather than the red ejection charge holder cap like they recommend. Just tape it in place, then poke a hole in the tape to vent the motor. Put it on the pad, then put two wraps of masking tape on one side of each alligator clip, attach the clips so that the wrapped sides are on opposite sides of the ignitor, and you're all set!

Loopy

are you really supposed to vent the hole??? oops. lol. i dont, i just mask it down and lighter up. i've got 100% success with copperheads so far. i've probably lit a total of 10 composite motors. not many by any means, but enough to say that 0 out of ten failed. lol.

I have had a 100% success rate with all of my copperhead igniters...

Take a cigarette lighter, light the end of the igniter that does not have pyrogen on it. In a matter of seconds the end of the igniter will seperate into two parts...install the igniter in the motor and hook your leads up to the split parts as you would any other igniter and...wala!

ZOOM baby!

100% success

Back