Reload & Motor magazines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
No, not the reading kind, the storage kind!

We currently have an old 'Army Surplus' ammo case for our motors & reloads.. But the larger / longer motors are too long for said case. So, we're looking at getting a new one. We were wondering what others are using?

Currently looking at the Plano 7810 case.
thoughts? comments?

what do you use?

I don't know what the requirements are at your location but because I live in a city that has adopted NFPA 1127, that case fails the requirement that it be non-combustible.

I have two storage boxes. One is a pretty standard metal tool box (Sears?) and can hold up to K sized reloads so long as there aren't too many. The other is a large case that I purchased from Missileworks ca. 2003. It can hold anything I am interested in and met the ATF requirements for an indoor type 4 magazine.

I don't know what the requirements are at your location but because I live in a city that has adopted NFPA 1127, that case fails the requirement that it be non-combustible.

I have two storage boxes. One is a pretty standard metal tool box (Sears?) and can hold up to K sized reloads so long as there aren't too many. The other is a large case that I purchased from Missileworks ca. 2003. It can hold anything I am interested in and met the ATF requirements for an indoor type 4 magazine.

Home Depot has this box, line it with fire-proof plywood if needed.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Knaack-36-in-x-19-in-x-16-in-Storage-Chest-36/205174368

Dave, my understanding was that an atf approved magazine requires two locks with 1/2" shackle. This appears to have a single lock of unknown shackle size, no specs on the number on tumblers in the lock, and no spec on metal gauge. What am I missing?

Ummmm, If the person doesn't need an LEUP anymore, what does it matter now? I mean the lock thing is superfluous for home storage. If one just wants to store safely just an adequate box is needed. The one shown above looks pretty substantial.
Kurt

Ummmm, If the person doesn't need an LEUP anymore, what does it matter now? I mean the lock thing is superfluous for home storage. If one just wants to store safely just an adequate box is needed. The one shown above looks pretty substantial.
Kurt

Sure. What about BP? What about igniters? If you want a leup so you can buy these needed items then you need storage.

Dave, my understanding was that an atf approved magazine requires two locks with 1/2" shackle. This appears to have a single lock of unknown shackle size, no specs on the number on tumblers in the lock, and no spec on metal gauge. What am I missing?

The other thing about these boxes is they do not have blow-out panels, they are designed to keep tools from walking off job sites on their own. They are typically made of steel about 14-16ga iirc.

Edit : https://www.knaack.com/en/view/Products/Jobsite Storage Equipment/Jobsite Storage/Chest/36

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
Maybe a bit of background can help out here:

A friend & I fly out of Vermont. We are Canadian, and (obviously) crossing a border with motors & igniters is a no-no. So, our club president (US resident) holds our motors for us. We currently have an old military ammo can, but the larger motors we're getting into (H & I, soon J, L, and L) are too long for the case.

So, we're looking for ideas on what others use.. I will be reaching out to the few club members to see what they do soon.

My two cents: if someone's keeping group reloads secured and climate controlled, it might be a nice gesture to pass the hat and spring for an actual magazine.

DHBarr, that's kinda the idea..

at least to make it easy for him to consolidate & carry his & our collections. From his point of view, he just needs to grab what he intends to fly. For us, he brings our whole box (he has no idea what we want to fly)

have you asked him what he thinks you should have? There are various sizes of military ammo cans that could be used, but if he is hauling it around, it might be best to go with what he recommends.

Sorry I misunderstood legal LEUP storage and home storage.

Back