Reload Casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
Just ordered a F50 9T blue thunder. Can i use that for a reload or do i need to get something else. I am new to these bigger engines and can't figure out how the reload kits work. Thanks

no, this is a single use motor. Fire and throw it away.

If you want to use an RMS case I recommend you either buy an Aerotech 29/40-120 case or a CTI 1 or 2 grain 29mm case.

You can find a list of motor reloads here.

Under products, rocket motors, aerotech compatible hardware and reloads, and reloads.

no, this is a single use motor. Fire and throw it away.

If you want to use an RMS case I recommend you either buy an Aerotech 29/40-120 case or a CTI 1 or 2 grain 29mm case.

You can find a list of motor reloads here.

Under products, rocket motors, aerotech compatible hardware and reloads, and reloads.

If you decide to go with the CTI Pro29's, I recommend getting the 3-grain case and two spacers. That way you can fly any of the 1, 2 and 3 reloads, giving you a range of F through a small H.

The AT 29/40-120 case is a good choice and will give you an E through G reloads.

The

Just ordered a F50 9T blue thunder. Can i use that for a reload or do i need to get something else. I am new to these bigger engines and can't figure out how the reload kits work. Thanks

Reloads aren't too hard to figure out. Just go slow and follow the instructions.

The Cessaroni reloads are much easier than Aerotech to assemble. Almost idiotproof... almost.

The Cessaroni reloads are much easier than Aerotech to assemble. Almost idiotproof... almost.

That is debatable (all depends on skill level) Areotech Reloads are cheaper in the long run
And just Going A little off topic but Can The Propellent in LMS kits Be Used With The RMS casings?

Last edited:
Reloads aren't too hard to figure out. Just go slow and follow the instructions.

Without getting into specifics, one approach to reloadable motors involves a few more very simple assembly steps than the other, but both are ridiculously easy to put together and use. They are all very good motors.

...Can The Propellent in LMS kits Be Used With The RMS casings?
You cannot use any part of an LMS (Loadable Motor System) motor in an RMS (Reloadable Motor System, an older and more widely-used standard) case. They are not compatible.

MarkII

No, you should not use LMS fuel grains in RMS casings. That'd make it an uncertified motor, and a high chance for a CATO.

No, you should not use LMS fuel grains in RMS casings. That'd make it an uncertified motor, and a high chance for a CATO.
That's right; it violates the Safety Code, too.

MarkII

Thanks Its Just Seemed Like you Could Knock Off The L and put a R there:D
i wasn't ever going to do something that stupid anyway (i would do something Stupider):D

So scrap. I looked at hobbylinc and i am not seeing the casings. I want to look for F and G size reload casings. Where do i need to look. I see the reload kits but i don't see the casings. I am sorry i am not picking up on this. Like i said i am new to this and don't want to get the wrong thing....

So scrap. I looked at hobbylinc and i am not seeing the casings. I want to look for F and G size reload casings. Where do i need to look. I see the reload kits but i don't see the casings. I am sorry i am not picking up on this. Like i said i am new to this and don't want to get the wrong thing....

Look here ;)

They have it hidden for some reason, I had to hunt for it...

You can also go here...

The Aerotech 29/40-120 casing fits a number of E-G reload kits:
E16W, E23T, F22J, F40W, F52T, G53FJ, G64W, G71R, G76G
It's carried by Hobbylinc: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro91291.htm

Aerotech also has several small 29mm casings that fit different reload kits; Hobbylinc does not carry them.

29/60: F37W F62T
29/100: G54W G104T
29/120: G77R G79W

Yup the 29/40-120 casing is the most flexable in terms of motor choises but the do call it HobbyLINC for a reason

Yup the 29/40-120 casing is the most flexable in terms of motor choises but the do call it HobbyLINC for a reason

Apogee also carries 39mm casings they have the 29mm/40 29mm/60 29mm/100 29/120 but oddly enough the 29mm/40-120 casing is still the cheapest

Apogee also carries 39mm casings they have the 29mm/40 29mm/60 29mm/100 29/120 but oddly enough the 29mm/40-120 casing is still the cheapest

The 29/60, 100, and 120 cases are high-power style, made with thicker metal and using different closures. I'm not surprised at all that they're more expensive.

The F50 single use engines and the F52 reloadable engines are both full F engines. They will have very similar performance.

The 29/40-120 casing is 29mm in diameter. The 40-120 refers to the fact that it can accomodate reloads from 40 N-s (full E or low end F) to 120 N-s (mid-range G). It does this by using cardboard spacers that come with the reload kit. The high power style casings (like 29-60) only accomodate one size of reload each which eliminates some of the potential for assembling the reload kit wrong and is just a more rugged set of hardware. Being stronger, they can take higher pressure and thus would allow for higher thrust reloads.

If you are flying from a big field and don't fly a lot of minimum diameter rockets, the reloadable engines are cheaper. If you are pushing the limits and run the risk of losing the rocket and reload casing, the single use engines may be more prudent. If you are flying mostly Es and Fs, the reloads for 24mm casing system is cheaper than the 29mm. The prices you see are for a package of 3 reloads.

Not knowing how much experience you have, I'll pass on one final bit of information. The number after the dash (the 9 in F50-9) is the ejection delay. That is the number of seconds after engine burnout that the ejection charge fires. You need to have the correct delay for a given rocket. Fat, heavy rockets need shorter delays than light, skinny ones. If you stick that F50-9 in a fat, heavy rocket, it may already be impaled in the ground before the ejection charge fires. On the other hand, if you put an engine with a short dely in a light, skinny rocket, the parachute will deploy (and maybe even get stripped off) on the way up. Can you say "lawn dart"? If you already knew that, fine, but I've taken kids out who could only think of "what's the biggest engine I can stick in this?" and had no clue that the ejection delay was anything they should be concerned with.

With the LOC Aura, if they still provide a strip of elastic as a shock cord, replace it with kevlar. There is not much room for wadding and my first flight on an Aura with an F20 resulted in burning the shock cord such that the nose cone came down on the streamer and the rest core sampled (literally) the sod farm. It took quite a bit of digging to get the mud out, but the airframe was undamaged. The F50 will take this just about out of sight and the 9 second delay should be about right. Bring lots of sharp-eyed people to help track it!

I just looked into ordering the 29/40-120 casing at hobbylinc and it said sold out due date unknown. What other sites can you find them on?

Back