reliability of deployment altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Anyone have any comments about the Perfectflite altimeter with deployment? Reliability? I couldn't find anything about it on EMMR.

Also, is there any difference in reliability amoung these 3 different priced altimeters? Perfectflite, $99.95. Blacksky AltAcc 2C, $180. G-Wiz MC, whopping $194.95! G-Wiz LC, $89.95. G-Wiz LC Deluxe, $134.95.

If anyone owns any of these alitmeters please leave some comments!

Thanks!

Depends on what you want to do. Some have accelerometers on there and barometric deployment - some just have barometric deployment. If your looking for a good unit don't leave off the Missileworks RRC2

Edward

I have the MC, it is awesome.

the RRC is good too.

the MC is cool because you can record data. And it works as a timer too.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I have the MC, it is awesome.

the RRC is good too.

the MC is cool because you can record data. And it works as a timer too.

Have you had any problems with the MC?

Slightly off topic from the altimeters you listed - but you did mentioned price.....

Think about the Transolve P6K for $58 including shipping.
https://www.transolve.com/Transolve/

You need some soldering skills to build this altimeter and the resolution of reported altitude is only in 100 foot increments - but for $58........

I built one and it seems quite reliable.
Good Luck

The Prefectflite MAWD is very reliable, plus small and easy to place anywhere. I have had great luck with mine as have my friends.

Carl

I have the Perfectflite and the G-wizz LC.

The Perfectflite is barometric only and has been reliable on all flights so far, recording, single and dual deploy. It records flight data for download to the PC too. Altitudes always agree with simulations and, having multiple Perfectflites, against each other. An excellent pice of kit for the money.

I have always used them with real e-matches, not christmas tree bulbs, Estes igniters etc. so can't comment on its performance with them.

The G-wizz LC is inertial only. I have not used it to control deployment as it has never recorded a faintly accurate altitude, either against simulations or against the Perfectflites. I have no confidence in it but will have to try using it for airstarts sometimes. As far as I am concerned this item is a piece of junk - I want to have an idea of altitude as well as putting a chute out.

Also they recommend multiple PP3 batteries to power it - the Perfectflite works perfectly OK on one and can be used recording only (haven't tried firing an e-match with it yet) on a little 12v lighter battery.

Note that this is the basic LC not the Deluxe which is barometric and inertial. I still can't see the point in it against the Perfecflite.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Anyone have any comments about the Perfectflite altimeter with deployment? Reliability? I couldn't find anything about it on EMMR.
I have been flying an MAWD for almost 2 years and have made an estimated 20 flights on it without a single failure of the unit. I must say, I also have a MissileWorks RRC2 and have had 100% reliability with it as well.

The only crash of a rocket using an altimeter I have ever had was due to improper placement of the ejection charge by me. The charge fired and seperated the rocket but the drogue chute did not deploy. The main did fire and eject the main chute during near-ballistic descent, thus preventing total destruction of the rocket and electronics. Despite wrecking the forward compartment and electronics bay of the rocket, the MAWD involved in this incident survived unscathed and has flown since.

Another altimeter anecdote: The last 4 flights of large rockets with altimeters for me have resulted in flights between 3000 and 4000 feet with rocket recovery twice within about 500' of the launch pad and twice within 50 feet. Using motor ejection on these flights, recovery would most likely have been over 1/4 mile away at those altitudes. I fly in Kansas where the wind always blows. Altimeters save me a lot of walking and searching to recover my rockets.

In my opinion, altimeters are the only way to fly.

--Lance.

I have two MAWD's and an Olsen M2. The Perfect Flight altimeters have worked great 100% of the time for me. The Olsen erranty fired a BP charge on my prep table once (kinda scared me!), but has worked fine since.

I would suggest always using a backup for deployment. Either another altimeter with seperate BP charges or at least motor ejection backup. Did any of you see the camp chair that got ripped in half at Midwest Power last year? WOW, when the LC says heads up, I am always on my feet looking up now!

fly'em high

Originally posted by War Bird
Did any of you see the camp chair that got ripped in half at Midwest Power last year? WOW, when the LC says heads up, I am always on my feet looking up now!

Saw that.....was about 20 feet from where I was standing (I started to run....). You could see the places that the three fins went straight through the chair. Similar to the event at LDRS 22 in Kansas where a H altitude attempt went unstable, went through a tent, destroyed a plywood motor case holder. A person was standing inside the tent when it happened. I was about 100 feet away....I seem to have a rocket homing device....

All I can say is not to use motor ejection for backup, as if it is early, your rocket will be damaged. It sort of defeats the purpouse of not relying on the motor delay system, which is proplematic. If you disagree with me, at least use the longest delay you can find.

Originally posted by solrules
Similar to the event at LDRS 22 in Kansas where a H altitude attempt went unstable, went through a tent, destroyed a plywood motor case holder. A person was standing inside the tent when it happened. I was about 100 feet away....I seem to have a rocket homing device..

Are you Serious? I was also about 100ft from that thing!

I think it was H180 White lightning, but anyway...yea, the thing went right through the QuickShade and the fins went straight through at least 3/8 inch plywood. The people in the tent barely got out of there in time

That incident at LDRS 22 is a constant reminder to me about respecting every rocket as potentially dangerous. If a little bitty rocket like that one can core sample plywood like that, i don't want to see what it might do to human body parts.

--Lance

Also, is there any difference in reliability amoung these 3 different priced altimeters? Perfectflite, $99.95. Blacksky AltAcc 2C, $180. G-Wiz MC, whopping $194.95! G-Wiz LC, $89.95. G-Wiz LC Deluxe, $134.95.

If anyone owns any of these alitmeters please leave some comments!

Thanks!

I've looked them all over while shopping. I've settled on the Ozark ARTS from Loki Research.

https://secure.consumersinterest.com/loki/store.asp?groupid=52120034163298

As far as reliability, I'd bet any 'issues' are far more often due to human factors than equipment. Accuracy would probably differ far more than reliability, and they tell you the accuracy.

Have you had any problems with the MC?

no I have only used it twice though, one was a motor failure but it still worked fine. I have heard many many good thigns about the unit, that is why I bought it. I am very happy with it

Originally posted by llickteig1
That incident at LDRS 22 is a constant reminder to me about respecting every rocket as potentially dangerous. If a little bitty rocket like that one can core sample plywood like that, i don't want to see what it might do to human body parts.

Yep. I saw a Cub Scout's C-powered Estes modroc smash through the rear window of a pickup truck and embed itself in the dash.

Back