Relay pad box and a LiPo Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a relay pad box for clustering (or just launching). The starters I used could be low current e-match like thingies or be 3 to 7 one or more amp normal magnalite/quickburst types.

I have two 2200mah 35C LiPo's in parallel. An effective 2S2P 3S2P 2200mah 11.7v battery. They are XT60 connectors from each pack into an XT60 end. I would hook that pack into the 12v side of my relay box which uses 14ga wire IIRC.

These LiPo's, designed in theory for RC, should, in a burst, provide 150 Amps. Supposedly 35C continuous. But let us say burst. Again, we are talking about 1 to 2 seconds as a cluster, otherwise things would get ugly anyway.

My question here is (because I trust there are some very smart experienced peeps here):
Am I wrong? Dangerous? I have an Optima Blue top. But its 43 pounds. The LiPo pack is < 1 pound. You can imaging I'd rather use the LiPo. I used LiPo batteries way back when they first came out in RC and when they first started dealing with balance etc...

Last edited:
Are your packs 2s (as you say) or 3s (as indicated by the nominal voltage of 11.7)?

Either way, current is NO problem. And XT60s can handle the current.

Since you know about balance charging and such, you should be fine from that standpoint.

You only need one 3-cell pack. It’ll light 10 igniters in parallel. The thing you want to avoid is frying the wiring and connectors if there’s a short. I recommend an auto reset thermal breaker. The breaker takes 10 seconds or more to trip open when there’s a short. Not enough time to fry things but plent of time to fire the cluster. After the breaker cools down in about 15 seconds, the bimetallic contacts will switch on again. No physical reset button and no fuse to replace. I’ve been using them in launch controllers for 25 years. I recommend using a 15a breaker. Use spade lugs with crimped leads for everything in the box.

Plenty of voltage, put the igniters in series...

Back