Relay launch controller pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketdoctor99

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my current launch controller to use relays. Ive seen relay controller as launches where they have continuity lights at remote pads, i would like a design to have this. Ive seen on this and other forums/websites lots of diagrams but is there anywhere I can get more information such as pictures of control boxes, wire gauges to use, recommended batteries for pads and controllers and how to order each part?

You will find many examples of launch control units by just googling “rocket launch controllers”.

Do you want continuity to be displayed just at the pad box, or at the controller as well? Both places would be the ideal choice. How many channels are you considering?

Our group uses 28 AWG 9-core shielded cable for the low current field cable between the the controller and pad boxes. This has been fine out to 100 metres. For high current ignition circuits at the pad you would use around 14-18 AWG.

The controller can use a 2S or 3S LiPo up to 1Ah; for the pad box we use 12V/7Ah SLA battery, but some groups use 12V car batteries!

I made my personal launch controller system incorporating a 12v relay on the launch circuit. The system uses two boxes, one for control inputs and the second at the pad. Continuity is by an LED indicator at the pad with a pushbutton to check for a fused relay (prevents accidental ignitions). This forum and Google are your friends when it comes to research and I found using a circuit layout program (digikey.com) really helped organize my thoughts on how to get what I wanted to wire out in a way that worked. I'm no expert at this, so other members may look at the pictures of what I did and tell you to steer clear, but I'm on a couple dozen launches with it and no pad related failures yet. The basics on the system are: pad box contains two batteries. One controls the low current side, continuity circuit and warning system. This connects via Cat 5 cable to the control box. The launch command hits the relay and a second battery powers the ignition circuit. Certainly more complicated than it needed to be, but it works and was a good learning experience to build.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 85
You will find many examples of launch control units by just googling “rocket launch controllers”.

Do you want continuity to be displayed just at the pad box, or at the controller as well? Both places would be the ideal choice. How many channels are you considering?

Our group uses 28 AWG 9-core shielded cable for the low current field cable between the the controller and pad boxes. This has been fine out to 100 metres. For high current ignition circuits at the pad you would use around 14-18 AWG.

The controller can use a 2S or 3S LiPo up to 1Ah; for the pad box we use 12V/7Ah SLA battery, but some groups use 12V car batteries!

Thanks I currently have a 10 pad control box that i use for 4H rocket launches. The controller is 15 feet and I run a car battery with 14 gauge wires to pad but the connector wires are maybe 18gauge. My launches are intermittent and I am suspecting the pad wires. instead of rewiring I thought I just upgrade to Relays, also would allow me to run longer control lines.

Rocket Doctor,

I ended up so frustrated with my old controllers I decided to make my own Launch Controller as well. Here is the one I made. It controls four pads for individual launch or a four pad drag race depending on the "ARM" configuration. Happy to share ……….IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3629.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3630.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 39
Most of the parts are from Sparkfun.Com
The relay kits are nice.......however I used a different relay than the kit came with. All other kit parts were used, but I wanted a relay with a higher amperage rating.... let me see if I can find them again........

Ordered! Thank you, much appreciated. I’ve purchased many things from Sparkfun, but I’ve never seen these relay modules on the site. Much cheaper and higher rated than the ones I was planning to use.

Back