Reference info on first MPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to build my first scratch MPR (a few kit and scratch LPR's complete) and wanted to make sure I was on track.

I am building a 42"-ish BT-80 rocket with a 24mm mount. I ran a wRASP simulation for the rocket with an F39, which is the max I am planning on running it with and got a result of mach .39, 23G's. I think I am well within the window of 3/32 basswood and TTW fins with no other measures, but wanted to check in with the pro's to see if I am missing something simple. Once sure that this configuration is correct, I'll run the calculations for CG, CP and start the build.

I am using standard Estes type thin BT-80 (36"), a Phoenix nosecone, (4) 15 in^2 clipped delta fins and a 24mm mount with up to an F39 reload. I used the stock cd of .6 in wRASP, as I this seems conservative for this configuration.

Thanks for any help!

Sandy.

only one thing wrong with it,

MMT is too small!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 38mm inmy Estes Phoenix made for DD. I think that thing could handle a 29mm with an adapter. Remeber you can always adapt down :p

thanx, Ben

I think it should not be a problem, but I would put a 29mm motor mount in it, you can always adapt it down to 24mm. I have flown my bashed Estes Canadian Arrow
https://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/BAR0051/ArrowLight.jpg
on a G64, though it flys better on F40 motors. It has basswood fins & plywood centering rings but is the Estes BT80 tubing.
Hope this helps.

Sounds fine! My Phoenix uses the standard Estes body tube with all basswood fins, and handles 24mm reloads just fine.

I think the 24mm is a fine choice for motor mounts, just don't use an Estes type motor tube, as it will not last as long as something like a LOC motor tube because of the higher heat generated by the APCP reloads.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Thanks for the replies. It turns out that doing a search first was, for once, the wrong thing to do. Just a few threads down is this one, which addresses the issue as well.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28781

Doh! I relied on the search only and didn't browse this forum, as I tend toward LPR. I think I'll go with basswood and surface mount fins, sanding the glassine off of course. If it needs a rebuild later, so be it.

I have mixed luck with motor mounts. . . I apparently put small ones in (Fat Boy, Big Daddy) some and big ones (24mm in Quest Harpoon. . . ) in others. I bet you're right that a 29mm is the right call, as an adapter is easy. I did buy an E motor mount kit (heavy tube with ply rings for BT-80) from BRSHobbies and figure I'll use that for now.

The project is an interesting one. Myself and a work buddy are building similar rockets as far as main components go. We both are using 36" BT-80 and PNC-80K, but that's where the designs change. He's going with a triple 24mm canted mount (Estes only: 3 D's on paper, but might get 3 E's at a sanctioned launch) and I'm going with a single 24mm with F-ish reloads. He sims higher with wRASP, but its all for fun, right. I almost think an F reload (Black Jack or White Lightning) might get a bigger response, even if it comes up 300 ft short.

For kicks, should I be considering a stuffer tube? I did one on my upscale (BT-60) 1906 Sizzler and it runs great, but I'm wondering if the volume to be pressurized on this one might be critical. I have no frame of reference for what a reload does with the ejection charge. I'm pretty sure that 3 shots from a BP motor will get his cone away with no problem. . .

Thanks for the advice. I'll post a picture here of what I come up with.

Sandy.

With the aerotech loads,don't worry, popping the cone won't be an an issue .
with a d-12 I would run the motor tube up to the chute bay.
thats just insurance to me

Back