redundant level of navigation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Peter Alway

Reaction score
Just a thought on simplifying navigation in the forum...the second levledown from the top indigating the major categories of subjects (for this post, it is "Feedback") doesn't seep particularly helpful in navigating, and seems like almost an impediment to getting around.

What I'm getting at is that clicking on "feedback" from this post gets me no closer to anywhere I would want to go than just clicking on "The Rocketry Forum," the difference being I can get to fewer places from the "feedback" screen than the "The Rocketry Forum" screen with one click.

Yeah, this is a minor nitpick. But I think it would simplify things to simply remove that level of navigation.

Overall I am very impessed with The Rocketry Forum. I had given up on rec.models.rockets and it was refreshing to see all this friendly chatter that was actually about rocketry.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think you can actually remove the "Feedback" section from the Navigation without removing the whole category?

Phil

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
The Feedback section is nothing more than a section container. Just like General Discussions, Modeling and the rest. The software by default makes these links.

Peter Alway

Reaction score
It's not any of the sections that I was whining about--it's the level of navigation. Kind of like saying instead of having Phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species, you could get along with less confusion if you just had Phylum, class, family, gunus, and species.

I find that whanever I navigate up the heirarchy of this board, if I click on "General Discussions" "Modeling" "Special Interest" or "Feedback," I am no closer to where I want to go than if I had clicked "The Rocketry Forum." But by clicking on "General Discussions" "Modeling" "Special Interest" or "Feedback," I can view fewer options than if I click on "The Rocketry Forum." The obvious solution is for me to click on "The Rocketry Forum" whenever I want to navigate up, instead of "General Discussions" "Modeling" "Special Interest" or "Feedback,". I really shouldn't have brought it up here, as it's such a minor thing-- it was just irritating me at the moment.

This is such a minor little whine, I regret bringing it up, but now that I have, I want you to understand what I meant.

This is a great forum and an excellent free service.

jflis

Reaction score
Hi peter :)

yep, great place, this...

As Milo said, the category main levels (in this case General Discussions, Modeling, etc.) are linked as a default by the tool and this is not one of the *options*, so is not easily corrected (if at all).

However, the categories *themselves* are quite useful in breaking up the large number of individual forums into logical groups.

Hope to see you again soon!
jim

Steward

Reaction score

Mr Alway,
I too would like to extend a warm welcome to the Rocketry Forum.
There are a lot af great people here with an obvious love for rocketry, many like myself who have been involved in one way or another for 40+ years.
Without getting to weirded out... let me just say that it is an honor to have you as part of the same forum that many of us turn to for information and support. In my humble opinion your reputation certainly precedes you.

shrox

Reaction score
That Alway guy is always causing trouble. He sits around putting together excellent reference material, designing mod-rocs that glide back backwards, sitting at the table next to mine and telling people to check out my stuff. Geez, he's a great guy!!

shrox