Red Shift II RG from Arkansas [J&H Aerospace]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a suggestion, but you could use aluminum duct tape, which is what I use and it really works great. Thicker than standard aluminum foil for cooking and it's self-adhesive. Available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2SHodxo

If you're able to hit Home Depot or Lowes during the pandemic restrictions, it can be had there as well.

I worked in an engineering test lab awhile back, and we used the heck out of that stuff. I've used it ever since (although mostly for servicing the HVAC system in my house).

Cheers-
Dave

Gluing aluminum foil: I conducted a few tests.

3M-77
J&H said they tried 3M-77 spray adhesive. Came off after a couple of flights.

Medium CA - Somewhat poor. Kind of held, but I was able to peel up.

5 minute epoxy - Worked really good!

Used Heavy Duty aluminum foil.

m_IMG_1060small.jpg

The Devcon Home 5 minute epoxy (from Ace Hardware). Seemed to work very well.

When I pulled the foil off the balsa, it pulled up the balsa! And when I set foil on a blob of 5-minute epoxy on my mixing card, I could not get the foil to pull up. 😁

m_IMG_1056small.jpg

m_IMG_1058small.jpg

m_IMG_1059small.jpg

Note that the instructions show sub micro servos INSIDE the fuselage, sticking out through the slot. Also note that the front of the slot is approximately the CG.

m_IMG_1072small.jpg

m_IMG_1062small.jpg

Cant believe another cloud buster in Ar. Ben trying to locate someone , anyone , for about 2 years . Sure been lonely .
Been out of the picture for about 60 years , sure are a lot of changes , all for the good .
I am in the Batesville area , would like to meet anyone within about 100 miles or so .
contact is [email protected]

Cant believe another cloud buster in Ar. Ben trying to locate someone , anyone , for about 2 years . Sure been lonely .
Been out of the picture for about 60 years , sure are a lot of changes , all for the good .
I am in the Batesville area , would like to meet anyone within about 100 miles or so .
contact is [email protected]

Going off topic a bit.

I launch with the Mid-South Rocket Society out of Memphis. Check facebook.

There is also the St. Louis Rocketry Association: https://stlouisrocketry.com/

Don't know of any groups in central Arkansas. There is Pemberton Technologies out of Conway: https://www.pembertontechnologies.com/

I have been working on sorting out the Receiver and Battery arrangement in the nose. Was driving me bonkers for a bit.

Finally had to add an extension to one of the servo leads, to get the Receiver where I wanted it.

m_IMG_1079small.jpg

First flight today! Did not go as well as hoped, but did not destroy the model.

Winds were 10 to 15 mph (used my anemometer). Used a C11-0.

My Red Shift II had a successful launch, then seemed nose heavy on the way down. Did not glide well. So, I need to go to some tall grass, and sort out the glide characteristics.

m_IMG_1093small.jpg

Last edited:
Tried a second flight, but the motor misfired. Model was fairly undamaged; but the chord that attached to the Elevator broke. So, I have to get some more chord

First flight today! Did not go as well as hoped, but did not destroy the model.

Winds were 10 to 15 mph (used my anemometer). Used a C11-0.

My Red Shift II had a successful launch, then seemed nose heavy on the way down. Did not glide well. So, I need to go to some tall grass, and sort out the glide characteristics.

View attachment 416089
Maybe Maxout (Joshua [J&H]) can weigh in with some advice?

I recommend braided kevlar for the elevator pull string. I can't remember where I got my current stock...probably from one of the many sellers on ebay. It was rated for 50 lb or so as I recall. The main thing is that the braided stuff doesn't snag as easily as some of the other types.

Check your elevator travel and CG before flying again. You shouldn't be getting a nose heavy response...these are pretty floaty. The wing is mounted with a little over 1 degree positive which makes it pitch up at elevated speeds (high mounted rocket motor keeps it from looping under power). Give it some test glides and see what it's doing.

Did some glide tests today, using the elevator deflection shown in the previous post (#110; at about 30 degrees).

Was able to get a decent glide, but ended up moving the Center of Gravity (or balance point) back by 5/8 inch. :blowingbubbles:

m_IMG_1167small.jpg

And here is the new fuselage arrangement on the Red Shift. I cut out the area aft of the bottom hatch (which I will secure back with screws.

Servos and battery are now farther back.

m_IMG_1168small.jpg

The Center of Gravity was moved back 1/2" to 5/8", based on my glide tests.

The original CG was 3 inches from the inner wing. Buy moving servos & battery, I moved it to 3-1/2" to 3-5/8" from the wing inner leading edge.

m_IMG_1171small.jpg

m_IMG_1172small.jpg

I did all CG measures with a used Estes D battery motor in the motor mount.

Also note that the epoxyed aluminum foil seems to have done well.

m_IMG_1176small.jpg

Last edited:
Back