Red Shift II RG from Arkansas [J&H Aerospace]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to work on the Elevator. I was confused because there were two Elevator sheets, and only one was described in the instructions.

Note that this is also the sheet with some nose parts.

m_IMG_0980small.jpg

There is a triangle piece that fits to the front of the Elevator. When I got it out, I noticed that it was slightly thinner than the Elevator. So, I got out the other Elevator, and discovered that it fit better with the triangle thickness.

m_IMG_0981small.jpg

m_IMG_0982small.jpg

I'm loving reading this thread, there are so many parts.........of course I've designed and built three kits while I'm reading it but that's not the point:) hahahaha Ok I'll go back under my rock....

Time to show another error on my part.

When you glue the side supports to the rocket motor tube, the instruction video shows measuring from the front angled section of the tube.

I should have measured from the BACK of the motor tube, because this is a straighter cut. Not a crisis; main thing is to get the motor aligned with the fuselage.

m_IMG_0999small.jpg

In the build video, it is recommended that you use the plastic iron-on material that comes with the kit. This something like Monokote or Ultracoat.

For other similar builds, I have used Blenderm tape (a medical tape). But due to the rocket motor exhaust location, J&H recommended NOT using the tape.

m_IMG_0993small.jpg

m_IMG_0994small.jpg

The iron I am using is an old Coverite model. Is has actual temperature values on the dial. I used an initial temp of 225 F to initially attach the 'hinge'. Then went back at 300 F.

m_IMG_0995small.jpg

m_IMG_0996small.jpg

Hmmm. May need to rethink things a bit.

This model is designed to use sub-micro servos. And I don't have any, though I have plenty of micro servos. So, I am going to locate the servos different from the instruction video.

The pic shows rough servo location. And that the micro servos are too big.

m_IMG_1002small.jpg

Here is a drawing of the Red Shift II. Note that the Front View (left) does not show the rocket motor...m_IMG_1003small.jpg

Well gents, today I learned how to build a spring-loaded Elevator, curtesy of J&H. Hang on to your butts..... :dancingelephant:

This is around 53 minutes into the Part 1 Build Video. Start making a U-shaped wire (wire is included in kit).

m_IMG_1004small.jpg

Actually, make two of the U-shaped wires.

Take the Elevator, and fold the moveable part back. With the U-wire in the middle of the Elevator, push one side into the Elevator, and the other side into the Horizontal Stabilizer. Then push in the second U-wire, but at opposite locations.

m_IMG_1005small.jpg

m_IMG_1006small.jpg

Note how the U-wires tend to hold back the Elevator. We will connect a string to a servo, that will pull in the opposite direction. The 'spring' of the U-wires will keep tension on the string.

m_IMG_1008small.jpg

I love this build thread. We never have sold many of the Red Shifts...sad because it's quite a fun little plane. I suspect the speeds achieved on Estes D12 motors scare off a lot of people. It's small and Fast.

One thing I'll point out...we've had a policy from Day 1 of being really loose with replacement policies. If something doesn't fit right, or even if you glue something wrong, contact me and we'll get it fixed. If it's my mistake, I eat the bill. If it's your mistake, I'll still eat most of the bill because I want to see people flying planes. You fighting with something that didn't work right doesn't fulfill that goal.

I'm going to be stocking servos in our store soon because of the issues folks have had getting suitable ones. Unfortunately my first shipment is on the slow boat from China.

Maxout, the only 'mistake' I have seen was the thickness on #7 parts being 1/16" rather than 1/32". However, this meant that the rocket motor supports are thicker/stronger, so I am not bothered.

I am changing the servo arrangement to fit micro servos because I already have them.

I build on a ceiling tile, that is on an oak workbench. So I can use T-pins to build balsa aircraft models.

Here, I am using T-pins to hold the front and back wing sections together while I glue them.

m_IMG_1016small.jpg

m_IMG_1017small.jpg

As the video states, make sure you don't build two Left Wings! So I wrote "BOTTOM" on the bottom side of each wing.

m_IMG_1018small.jpg

Time to go outside and move balsa. This is the wing profile I followed: rounded at the front, and tapered at back.

m_IMG_1019small.jpg

Once I got the wings planed & sanded like I wanted, I put them together & sanded some more, to get them even.

m_IMG_1020small.jpg

Back