• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Red RocketPoxy Pigment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect it's just standard epoxy pigment - you can buy that from a variety of sources, if nobody has the stuff direct from RocketPoxy

-Kevin

For small amounts of epoxy, say less than an ounce, I've used red iron oxide (polishing rouge powder, "rust") with success. Large amounts of epoxy might be subject to exotherming, as iron oxide may catalyze the curing reaction to some extent. I had that happen once with a one-cup batch with added manganese dioxide; the batch started warming up fast; I took it outside the shop and watched it steam/smoke and bubble up a minute later...

Best -- Terry

US Composites has a great selection of things we use; resin, fillers, expanding foam and pigments (among others). http://www.uscomposites.com/pigments.html
US Composites is my favorite composite store. Low cost, and like it or not most epoxy for rocket-use is pretty much the same. You can alter properties with filler, choose different curative, use slow-cure-thick epoxy, etc.

US Composites is my favorite composite store. Low cost, and like it or not most epoxy for rocket-use is pretty much the same. You can alter properties with filler, choose different curative, use slow-cure-thick epoxy, etc.
Yeah But.....then we don't have anything to argue about like GLUE! :) US Composites is my go to epoxy for most everything rocketry related as its about 2/3rds the cost of Aeropoxy and West Systems or System 3, all are good but unless you need a specific property of an epoxy, then they are all pretty close in performance, Aeropoxy has a slight performance edge on US Composites 635 and 150 types. West and System 3 are pretty close to the US Composites products as well, really the only thing you gain by buying US Composites over West/S3 is more quantity for the money.

I have used the black dye from US Composites and it works great a little goes a long way.

I suspect it's just standard epoxy pigment - you can buy that from a variety of sources, if nobody has the stuff direct from RocketPoxy

-Kevin
Yeah But.....then we don't have anything to argue about like GLUE! :) US Composites is my go to epoxy for most everything rocketry related as its about 2/3rds the cost of Aeropoxy and West Systems or System 3, all are good but unless you need a specific property of an epoxy, then they are all pretty close in performance, Aeropoxy has a slight performance edge on US Composites 635 and 150 types. West and System 3 are pretty close to the US Composites products as well, really the only thing you gain by buying US Composites over West/S3 is more quantity for the money.

I have used the black dye from US Composites and it works great a little goes a long way.
I do use US Composites 635 for my fiberglass work. What do they offer that is like Aeropoxy???

USC does offer some thickened adhesives but I have never tried any of them due to short working time (I'm slow). I have used USC 150 resin thickened with milled fiber for an adhesive. Swap out the milled fiber with micro balloons for fillets. Although it's not my preferred resin, 635 is an economical resin for glassing body tubes and molding nose cones.

I have a complete set of the US Composites dyes. Like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya! I probably will never use it all and it will be bequeathed to my heirs. It works well with Rocketpoxy, Aeropoxy, West, etc. Highly recommended.

Back