Red Max 2 Stage, The Madness Continues!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
After the success of my first Zwie Dekker Red Max, I have started another version. This time with D's.

Building with the same techniques as the first one, only substituting 24mm engine mounts.

And to test the speed and height of a D powered Max I also built a single stager. Will launch it first and should get an idea as to just how high the two stager might go. I am guessing it will be a small speck at apogee.

Both will be painted with bright orange instead of the traditional red. Also thinking streamers instead of chute for recovery.

No pics of the build but it is just like in the Zwie Dekker Red Max thread from last year.

Bought standard Red Max kits, along with a pair of D size engine mounts. Using wood centering rings. And bass wood for the booster fins and kit wood for sustainer.

Will have to double check if I need any nose weight. Open rocket sims just fine without it.

Should be a hoot to launch. Will have it at AIRFest at Argonia.

See ya,
Rod

View attachment Red Max 2D.ork

Are you doing this with a BT-60 body tube, or something else?

[EDIT] I re-read the OP, and saw that you bought a DRM. They're BT-60 based, thus the OD of the body tube is somewhere between 1.637" and 1.64" depending on who's numbers you believe.[/EDIT]

I took the design, converted it to a BT-60, and changed the nose to a PNC-60AH (what the DRM ships with).

Red Max 2D (Mod).jpg

I'm a little confused by the launch lug placement... Most boosters don't have one, and don't need them.

Attachments

• Red Max 2D (mod).ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It was a quick sim file bash to see some launch numbers. I used the Tri Dekker file I still want to try and didn't mess with the lugs. Put in the engine mounts and repainted it thats it.

Will have to keep that new nose cone for other Max projects.

Also will go in and update my sim file to actual parts used. After assembling the body tubes and engine mounts, it's just a bit different than what I have in the sim file. Probably not really going to affect the sim file or actual rocket much if any.
Later,
Rod

I got an estes Patriot(18mm stock) that I upgraded it to an E. That goes about 1500', So I'm guessing around 1800'-2000' with a Double D, Make sure to post up a few pics, that sounds cool.

Couple of ready to start finishing pics of the pair.

Single is basic Der Red Max with D motor mount.

Two Stager is also basic with D mounts. Built with same techniques as the C powered two stager from the magazine.

Kevlar shock cords and harnesses in both.

Haven't decided on recovery. Might try and sew up my own X chutes. Enough to get 'em down quicker, but not too fast.

All I know is they won't launch until AIRFest so there will be LOTS of eyes on them.

See ya,
Rod

D Red Max 2 boost apart.JPG

D Red Max 2 boost.JPG

D Red Max 2.JPG

D Red Max pair.JPG

D Red Max.JPG

After losing the sustainer to a tree at Battle Park, I scavenged the booster fins from an Estes Avenger Clone and built a BT-60 booster for my DRM. I have to add some nose mass to compensate, and get the decals on, then I'll fly 'Der Avenged Max'...

Just need to finish up the recovery. Will use rip stop 12" chutes instead of the big 18" plastic from the kits.

Didn't go crazy with the decals just enough to make 'em Max.

Will be fun to see just how high these will go. Will be sure to have lots of eyes on them. Here's hoping for good light wind day to launch them on.

Der D Red Max.jpg

Der D Red Max ready.jpg

I'm going with D12 boost and D12 sustain. D12 also for the single Max.

John Force it, go big or blow it up trying.

Both should go very high, so hope they have lots of eyes on them to help track.

See ya,
Rod

Nice. I can't seem to get my mind off making a MPR version of one of these myself. :)

Launched at AIRFest and was a great launch. Boosted nice and straight, and lit up second stage just like it was supposed to. Don't have any idea how high it may have went. Kinda went with the winds a bit and lost a bit of altitude but still a great launch.

Did launch the single 'D' version with a Jolly Logic and due to higher winds, 10 to 15mph, it came back with 741 ft and 215mph. Lighter winds would have gained some altitude and speed.

But they flew great and will launch again.

Only launch pics I caught was of the single stage.

'D' Red Max ignition.jpg

'D' Red Max lift off.jpg

Back