RED GLARE VII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope to fly my 90% Harpoon, If I do I'm not sure how much help I have coming, I will need a couple of bodies to help with recovery, Anyone interested?

Tom

I hope to fly my 90% Harpoon, If I do I'm not sure how much help I have coming, I will need a couple of bodies to help with recovery, Anyone interested?

Tom

Not a problem. I've never had a problem at any MDRA launch getting help. We'll get you covered.

Not a problem. I've never had a problem at any MDRA launch getting help. We'll get you covered.

Yea but being a busy weekend for everyone,, it always helps to have something for sure. Last time it took two for the booster section and I carried the payload out myself. if all goes well I hope to fly my "small" 50% smoke on a 3" 6000ns M and maybe some K sized stuff.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom

Tom:
We've not met, but I sure remember the Harpoon on that Sparky a few years ago.

What day will it fly?

I'm not that busy and I can help.
Just put the word out.

Last edited:
Tom:
We've not met, but I sure remember the Harpoon on that Sparky a few years ago.

What day will it fly?

I'm not that busy and I can help.
Just put the word out.

Probably Saturday, I have a formula I got from Neil that I want to static fire in the 6000ns case, probably on Friday.

It was funny, after our second daughter was born I had to put everything on hold, we went to the Steve Eves launch, and Maggy wanted to get back into it, and of course Jessika had to as well, so I am back. I had a HD failure, lost all of my forumlas. I know I have them backed up, can't find them though. The only one I still have is the Sparky, But I want to fly on whites. I wanted to fire a test at the Sod farm, but rain kept me from driving down. I have been the guy testing different loads, most of which didn't work. I have a Blue, Sparky, and Fucia, but no proven (to me) White. I know Neils load works well in the Os and Ps, but I have too much time tied up in the Harpoon to go out with-out a test. Might try to pop it off in the Smoke, I haven't decided yet.

September launch I flew my 4" AMRAAM on a Loki white, and my extended Little John on the fast sparky. There is a video of it in the ESL136 gallery.

Tom

Probably Saturday, I have a formula I got from Neil that I want to static fire in the 6000ns case, probably on Friday.

It was funny, after our second daughter was born I had to put everything on hold, we went to the Steve Eves launch, and Maggy wanted to get back into it, and of course Jessika had to as well, so I am back. I had a HD failure, lost all of my forumlas. I know I have them backed up, can't find them though. The only one I still have is the Sparky, But I want to fly on whites. I wanted to fire a test at the Sod farm, but rain kept me from driving down. I have been the guy testing different loads, most of which didn't work. I have a Blue, Sparky, and Fucia, but no proven (to me) White. I know Neils load works well in the Os and Ps, but I have too much time tied up in the Harpoon to go out with-out a test. Might try to pop it off in the Smoke, I haven't decided yet.

September launch I flew my 4" AMRAAM on a Loki white, and my extended Little John on the fast sparky. There is a video of it in the ESL136 gallery.

Tom

...and I thought the white loads were the standard - plain vanilla - kinda Ex propellent...the one that would be an easier formula to try.

I can understand not wanting to fool around with the Harpoon...not yet.
Good luck with it whatever you choose.

...and I thought the white loads were the standard - plain vanilla - kinda Ex propellent...the one that would be an easier formula to try.

I can understand not wanting to fool around with the Harpoon...not yet.
Good luck with it whatever you choose.

They usually are. It takes alot to screw up a white load ;)

Ben

They usually are. It takes alot to screw up a white load ;)

Ben

I pride myself in screwing up the impossible to screw up.

I guess I didn't get Zinc, Mag, and catalyst right.

I got two motors done, and one extra 1" core done, need one more batch 2500gr for the last motor. I am limited to 2500gr batches by mixer and vacuum setup.

Tom

I pride myself in screwing up the impossible to screw up.

I guess I didn't get Zinc, Mag, and catalyst right.

I got two motors done, and one extra 1" core done, need one more batch 2500gr for the last motor. I am limited to 2500gr batches by mixer and vacuum setup.

Tom

Oh don't take that in offense. I was saying it because of my LDRS screw up (look at the Day4 page in Rockets Magazine)

Ben

Does anybody have a 29mm Blackhawk or similar high performance 29mm rocket they want to fly at Red Glare? I have a motor I'd like to fire, but I am too lazy to prep another rocket. It's a Black Powder motor and about 240ns and is somewhere between an H700 and H1000 and very progressive. It has been fired before, so you shouldn't worry much. In exchange for the free motor, just give me the accelerometer data after the flight.

Here's a pic -- In Ben's AMRAAM a few years ago

H1000.JPG

Does anybody have a 29mm Blackhawk or similar high performance 29mm rocket they want to fly at Red Glare? I have a motor I'd like to fire, but I am too lazy to prep another rocket. It's a Black Powder motor and about 240ns and is somewhere between an H700 and H1000 and very progressive. It has been fired before, so you shouldn't worry much. In exchange for the free motor, just give me the accelerometer data after the flight.

I actually still have that rocket. I may have the Ebay and all for it. That was a fun flight :)

Ben

If you and Ben don't get it together ....I have a glassed Loc Vulcanite outfitted with an Altimeter bay...DD/zipperless mod...flown many times at MDRA...don't fly it much these days ....it would take a 29mm, not sure if it meets your exact specification for 29mm....as it is actually a 38mm airframe IIRC.

(ps. I'LL even clean the case for you after the flight......LOL)

Last edited:

Is this in the case I made?

can anyone give me more info on this? i'll be in MD for a pyro event on saturday, if there's some massive projects taking to the sky i might want to stop by and check it out...

ben, you better make it saturday night man...

Over 20 large projects blasting off... T minus 16 days and I can't wait.

By the way, only 6 people have signed up to help with the launch and we have 18 slots left. If you can volunteer it will be appreciated.

Over 20 large projects blasting off... T minus 16 days and I can't wait.

By the way, only 6 people have signed up to help with the launch and we have 18 slots left. If you can volunteer it will be appreciated.

Funny, I remember when a "M" project was a HUGE event, Now we have "P"s, M clusters, M to M staging, ect.

Tom

Woo Hoo,, I am on 4 10hr days through November,, no need to burn a day for RG7.

Tom

I'll be willing to help out as well, we'll be there Saturday and Sunday (and for the banquet), but my Level 3 prep and flight have priority, considering I've been trying to get that rocket ready since before RG V.

I'll be willing to help out as well, we'll be there Saturday and Sunday (and for the banquet), but my Level 3 prep and flight have priority, considering I've been trying to get that rocket ready since before RG V.

YOU NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON YOUR L3 FLIGHT. That is the most important thing. Good luck!!

Tom

Funny, I remember when a "M" project was a HUGE event, Now we have "P"s, M clusters, M to M staging, ect.

Tom

On a related note, a similar trend has happened at our club with respect to altitude. Back at our Mile High Mayhem launch in 2005, there were a total of 4 flights that exceeded 10k over the weekend, and if you went over 8 or 9k, you were going darn high. At Oktoberfest this month, there were 13 flights >10k on Saturday alone (one of mine included), including 3 over 20k and 1 over 30k.

Oh, and I wish I could make it to Red Glare - Ben makes some of the better fireworks that I've ever seen, but it's just too far, especially during the school year.

Back