Red Glare Dreaming

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video has the exact credits, but I believe it was Tom Cohen on construction, Bob for inspiration, and Scott for the motors (2x O7000, IIRC).

Slow motion video now on YouTube.

Nice video, it's interesting watching those motors come up to pressure. It looks like one comes up a bit before the other, and the hydraulic launch pad has to deal with a bit of torque.

I compiled a few slow motion videos here as well:

Hmmm... didja have to tell me that? :) Maybe if I put the rocket in the passenger seat? Then the wife will be ticked I didn't bring her. :( Having a smaller car kinda stinks when it comes to transporting rockets and gear.
I transported my L1 in a 13-year-old Hyundai Tiburon. You can do it!

Nice video, it's interesting watching those motors come up to pressure. It looks like one comes up a bit before the other, and the hydraulic launch pad has to deal with a bit of torque.

Yeah, awesome video. AND TO BE 100% CLEAR, I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ROCKET OR THE VIDEOS. I'm just another awed spectator! The slow mo video above was posted to the MDRA FB group...

...........And I've seen a couple roll up in a tiny hatchback at a launch and pull out a 4" upscale Mosquito from the back. Even a normal size hatchback can fit 3-4 L1-scale rockets.

This has been a public service announcement from the Enablers Club. :D

Went to NYPower one year with my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback. My 10' L3 Rocket - WAC Corporal, several 3" birds, 10x10 canopy, folding table, entire stash of motors (I like flexibility of picking my motors at the field), huge box of motor hardware, flight supplies, cooler and luggage - all fit in the back seat/trunk with the backseat folded down. I had room for a passenger, too! I really enjoy the 30" lengths of the larger diameter LOC Tubes in this situation. Works out pretty well.

Went to NYPower one year with my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback. My 10' L3 Rocket - WAC Corporal, several 3" birds, 10x10 canopy, folding table, entire stash of motors (I like flexibility of picking my motors at the field), huge box of motor hardware, flight supplies, cooler and luggage - all fit in the back seat/trunk with the backseat folded down. I had room for a passenger, too! I really enjoy the 30" lengths of the larger diameter LOC Tubes in this situation. Works out pretty well.

Same here. On the longer drives, I usually take my commuter car, a 2017 Focus hatchback that I have had no issue getting a table, chair canopy, and several 3 and 4 inch dual deploy rockets along with my flight box. Its tight but with careful packing, it works and I get double the fuel mileage!

Was I hallucinating or was that some awe-inspiring fin flutter on the giant Deuce at about 4:45? I'm amazed it held together. Too bad the on-board video didn't show the fins.

Either way, extremely impressive flight, and great video.

Was I hallucinating or was that some awe-inspiring fin flutter on the giant Deuce at about 4:45? I'm amazed it held together. Too bad the on-board video didn't show the fins.

I can't tell if the fins are moving, or it is a trick of the light and shadows. I lost focus a bit, so it is a bit blurry.

Neil, I was there to see it, and I'm positive I saw a bunch of fin flexing back and forth. Someone on Facebook said that they expected that and planned for it.

The music for that video was absolutely spot-on. Love it. Some favorite moments:
2:11 How did that long rocket not fold in half?
4:45 Wave to the nice man with the camera!
6:00 The unstable rocket flings its nosecone off and then seems to stand on its tail
7:10 After a majestic liftoff, the rocket seems to just be hovering

Thanks to all those who attended, hope all of you had a great time. A preliminary count of flight cards indicates we had 42 flights on Friday, due to heavy winds all day long. Saturday we had a total of 259 flights. Unfortunately it was decided to cancel Sunday's launch day, due to the forecast of rain and as it turned out, it was the proper call.

Some of the flights are posted to the MDRA YouTube channel.

If the above doesn't work try this link and select MDRA Red Glare 2021 play list.
https://www.youtube.com/user/WeAreMDRA/playlists

Last edited:
On the topic of a suitable vehicle to support one's participation in the high power rocketry hobby, I have one word of advice: Suburban.

DSCN3055.JPG

I bought my Suburban partially because I wanted a vehicle with plenty of room for rockets, motors, range boxes, batteries, coolers, etc., etc. The Suburban provides such room in spades. I have yet to even come close to running out of room for my toys!
Bob Schultz

On the topic of a suitable vehicle to support one's participation in the high power rocketry hobby, I have one word of advice: Suburban.

View attachment 457703

I bought my Suburban partially because I wanted a vehicle with plenty of room for rockets, motors, range boxes, batteries, coolers, etc., etc. The Suburban provides such room in spades. I have yet to even come close to running out of room for my toys!
Bob Schultz

A minivan will get you nearly the same amount of space at 2-5 MPG better fuel economy as well.

Back