RED GLARE 6! APRIL 17-18-19 2009.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know what to tell the wife I want for my birthday since this on my birthday.....:D

This is going to be on helluva launch. Steve Eaves Saturn is supposed to be launched the weekend before or after this. That will be a sight to see!!

I am hoping I can get the O motor drag race going again. Got this sandhawk that is begging for an O :D

Ben

I've been looking forward to this launch since RG5! I have a feeling I'll have to make the choice of either attending Red Glare or coming down to see Steve Eves' Saturn V, and I'll probably end up going with the Saturn V since I'll never get to see the real thing. But if I can see both.....oh I'm sorry I'm drooling all over the place

I've been looking forward to this launch since RG5! I have a feeling I'll have to make the choice of either attending Red Glare or coming down to see Steve Eves' Saturn V, and I'll probably end up going with the Saturn V since I'll never get to see the real thing. But if I can see both.....oh I'm sorry I'm drooling all over the place

Well, the Saturn V will most likely be a one day thing on Saturday. Vs Red Glare being all 3 days. Its only a 2 hour drive from here so its not to bad to make both.

Ben

here is the info on the Saturn:

Steve Eve’s Saturn V launch will be the following weekend, Saturday, April 25, 2009. The launch itself will occur between 12:00 Noon and 02:00 PM. If for some reason it does not fly during this time frame, it will be moved to Sunday, April 26, 2009 between 12:00 Noon and 02:00 PM. April is going to fun!

Ben

Ben, I would have no problem driving down both weekends. I went down yesterday for ESL 129 and its a very easy drive, 2 hours like you said. The problem is being off from work for both weekends. I know I can get one weekend off but I'd have to hope for the second. So The Saturn is priority 1, and Red Glare would be the bonus if I can make it.

Any reason they can't do the Saturn V on one of the three days of RG VI?

I knew there was some on going discussion about whether or not that was possible - just curious....and what the reasons were.

Seems like even if Friday was a dedicated Saturn V day...it would still be easier for more folks to make one long weekend out of it - as opposed to commiting to two succesive weekends in a row for it.

Any reason they can't do the Saturn V on one of the three days of RG VI?

I knew there was some on going discussion about whether or not that was possible - just curious....and what the reasons were.

Seems like even if Friday was a dedicated Saturn V day...it would still be easier for more folks to make one long weekend out of it - as opposed to commiting to two succesive weekends in a row for it.

Ok, how many people show up to Red Glare? 5-600?? How many people know about the Saturn and are expected to show up? 1k ? 1200?? Ok, Neil, Bob, Fred and the MDRA guys do one heck of a job getting flights up an controlling the launch as is. Add in controlling the launch, crowd control for an extra 800-1k people, and the help prepping the Saturn and getting it ready to go. Its just to much to take one. And I wouldn't want RG6 to be a 2 day launch just because of the Saturn.

All in all I think its a good plan. Maybe us VRS guys can carpool.

Ben

Ok, how many people show up to Red Glare? 5-600?? How many people know about the Saturn and are expected to show up? 1k ? 1200?? Ok, Neil, Bob, Fred and the MDRA guys do one heck of a job getting flights up an controlling the launch as is. Add in controlling the launch, crowd control for an extra 800-1k people, and the help prepping the Saturn and getting it ready to go. Its just to much to take one. And I wouldn't want RG6 to be a 2 day launch just because of the Saturn.

All in all I think its a good plan. Maybe us VRS guys can carpool.

Ben

Car Pool?....Yeah...but I'm thinking we just may not see many VRS guys that weekend...reason: the NAR Blue Gray event is already scheduled for Saturday/Sunday April 25th & 26th at VRS.

I'm holding out for both weekends at MDRA myself - (Red Glare and the next weekend) but a trip up for Saturday Saturn V - with a contingency day the next day - same days as our local event - is going to leave a lot of VRS guys out.

Last edited:
Car Pool?....Yeah...but I'm thinking we just may not see many VRS guys that weekend...reason: the NAR Blue Gray event is already scheduled for Saturday/Sunday April 25th & 26th at VRS.

I'm holding out for both weekends at MDRA myself - (Red Glare and the next weekend) but a trip up for Saturday Saturn V - with a contingency day the next day - same days as our local event - is going to leave a lot of VRS guys out.

Ill take almost any launch over VRS, nothing against VRS but we fly at the local park one a month, I would rather see a marker in history then some MMX stuff.........

Ben

Ill take almost any launch over VRS, nothing against VRS but we fly at the local park one a month, I would rather see a marker in history then some MMX stuff.........

Ben

What if the MMX had a P motor surrounded by 8 N motors?

2 big projects already signed up for Red Glare 6. Thomas R and Gary T are going to burn some serious propellant in their rockets. I've got to make some minor repairs to Buttercup but I'm pretty sure I'll be popping that off the ground with an L or an M. Depends on the order of AP and if I can get a case.
If you've got a big project or just something interesting... let MDRA know. By my count 54 more days.
https://www.mdrocketry.org/membership/featuredprojects/

2 big projects already signed up for Red Glare 6. Thomas R and Gary T are going to burn some serious propellant in their rockets. I've got to make some minor repairs to Buttercup but I'm pretty sure I'll be popping that off the ground with an L or an M. Depends on the order of AP and if I can get a case.
If you've got a big project or just something interesting... let MDRA know. By my count 54 more days.
https://www.mdrocketry.org/membership/featuredprojects/

M motor, 98mm M2111 White motor. No ifs ands or butts. Just show up with ButterCup preppes.

Ben

M motor, 98mm M2111 White motor. No ifs ands or butts. Just show up with ButterCup preppes.

Ben

Actually, I've got a formula in mind. I want to tweak Tiger Tail just a hair. Maybe I could do that at the March launch. We'll see.

Actually, I've got a formula in mind. I want to tweak Tiger Tail just a hair. Maybe I could do that at the March launch. We'll see.

Why Tiger Tail? Once you get into it there is just no reason to use TT IMHO.

Orange Sunset works if you want an orange flame.

Ben

Getting close!! Sandhawk is in primer along with the Cherokee. Hoping to atleast get something with color on it!!

Ben

Well thanks a lot, Dan! Now I have to skip school AND work to go down on Friday because Stan's trying his L2 and now the Fuzzy Bee is going Mach!

I just noticed something.... The directions to the Red Glare launch site indicate that a welcome center some miles away probably has the nearest public restrooms to the site. Does this imply that there won't be porta-johns (not the Estes flying version) on site, or is that just referring to actual restrooms with plumbing and such. :confused:

Back