Red Flare sleeper excellent flier!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I launched the Red Flare that I bought on Estes's sale. I was surprised how good it flew on E12-6...Perfect engine for this model! It got every bit of the 1000' height! Coasted almost out of sight and deployed chute right at apogee! Winner!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-63.jpg
    FullSizeRender-63.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 95
Yesterday I launched the Red Flare that I bought on Estes's sale. I was surprised how good it flew on E12-6...Perfect engine for this model! It got every bit of the 1000' height! Coasted almost out of sight and deployed chute right at apogee! Winner!

It has the same diameter tubes the same fin shape as the Excutioner, and also the Maxi Alpha. I'm glad to hear it flies well. I've got one as well but haven't flown it yet.

Great flier on a D12, low and relatively slow. Plastic fins this large seemed a bit thin and flimsy to me, but it did well and landed with no damage. Would love to get a couple more for kitbashing.

Got for almost nothing from AC supply to get free shipping. I am sure the original MFR demo to Estes was good, but what I got : / Whew, bad. It's what they do (you get what you inspect, not what you expect). 2/3 fins warped and the "plastic" finish and seams on nose, fins, and CR's was just terrible. The fins are weak and I want to at least "consider" the F44... lol
What do do? Extreme Redneck Makeover. I did this with a Marvin the Martian from MPC and it turned out too nice (almost) to fly. Red Flare got straightened fins with a heat gun, sanded, seams filled, epoxy, fillets, primer, etc. Here's a pic into the project - had a vinyl decal malfunction, what to do? Think of something funny! My electricians label maker helped. Decided to go with the Rusto Spray Chrome over black. Nose looks good but the test will be the fin can - with silver, every little imperfection stands out and there are lots.
I like that the companies have starter kits, but feel that it is important that these at least look good. Having a poor looking starter kit is a good way to ensure no future kits are bought. The Alpha 3, and Generic E2X are examples of better quality.

Cheers / Robert

Redneck Red Flar.jpg

<snip>The fins are weak and I want to at least "consider" the F44... lol
What do do? Extreme Redneck Makeover. I did this with a Marvin the Martian from MPC and it turned out too nice (almost) to fly. Red Flare got straightened fins with a heat gun, sanded, seams filled, epoxy, fillets, primer, etc.<snip>
Epoxy fillets aren't enough to withstand an F44. The fins need stiffening of some sort.

Maybe... will decide when we have a launch in March. Probably not as I've broken lite ply fins with an F44. Red Flare fins are floppy.

Cheers/ Robert

Well I've lost my Red Flare last flight! Went so high on E12-6 and drifted into the woods! And I was in a good sized field! I bought another before they disappeared.😊

Epoxy fillets aren't enough to withstand an F44. The fins need stiffening of some sort.

Disagree. We put a Maxi Alpha 3 (longer version of the Red Flare) up on an F44-8 over the holidays without any issues. When I rebuilt my Maxi Alpha I rebuilt the entire fin can unit with BSI 30 min Epoxy including attaching the stock plastic fins and doing the fillets. First flight was on a E30-7 so we decided to go big or go home.

Will it last long term, that I can't comment on but it will go up on the F44 again.

IMG_9285.jpg

Disagree. We put a Maxi Alpha 3 (longer version of the Red Flare) up on an F44-8 over the holidays without any issues. When I rebuilt my Maxi Alpha I rebuilt the entire fin can unit with BSI 30 min Epoxy including attaching the stock plastic fins and doing the fillets. First flight was on a E30-7 so we decided to go big or go home.

Will it last long term, that I can't comment on but it will go up on the F44 again.

View attachment 445281
Huh, maybe next time I need to use more Epoxy!

I used BSI 30 also for everything except fillets. They got 5 minute Devcon (not great but long shelf life). I worked out doing fillets with 5 minute epoxy last year and it works for me. Got to second pass with primer and putty before I get tired of it. Looks better than it did stock, couldn't make myself spend more time on it.

Cheers

IMG_20210104_150008.jpg

Back