Red Columbine - A Rocket Based On A Flower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear eject clearly the way to go. Unfortunately, given it will come down nose first, you won’t be able to “stick” the landing. Are you flying on a gras field? If not, you may want to put a piece of tape or something removable on the nose to protect it from impact damage.

In this case... nose down is as nature intended.. ;-)

Maybe some "shock absorbing frilly dillies" are needed..

Attachments

• Red Columbine.JPG
    Red Columbine.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 12
interestingly, assuming your units are inches, a Tennis Ball (in part or in full) may make a nice nose cone or cover, may be safer assuming it lands somewhere or on something it isn’t supposed to, may be cheaper and more easily replaced.

https://tasks.illustrativemathematics.org/content-standards/tasks/512

Sure.. that would work. Thanks for looking out for me.

Where I launch the only thing around within 2 miles is me and my truck. This rocket has an apogee of 300 feet. It's heavy and slow. A normal rocket would likely do more damage....... E=M*C^2

I'll take my retired hard hat... cause I agree... the rocket does look like a bit like a sledge hammer head :angiefavorite:

Sure.. that would work. Thanks for looking out for me.

Where I launch the only thing around within 2 miles is me and my truck. This rocket has an apogee of 300 feet. It's heavy and slow. A normal rocket would likely do more damage....... E=M*C^2

I'll take my retired hard hat... cause I agree... the rocket does look like a bit like a sledge hammer head :angiefavorite:
When this popped up on my screen this morning, it jumped to an earlier post. I didn’t realize how far the build had gone. Glad you swapped out the streamer for the chute!

Um, really? I certainly home not! (I think you mean E=½v².)

Ok, I've messed that up before. My apology. (You missed the "m" in your equation). I was thinking about Einstein, but my point is still valid, right?

E=½mv². So a lighter rocket traveling much faster will do much more damage than my Red Columbine in the event of an anomaly. If the chute deploys correctly, no worries.

Hey, maybe you should use another material for that effect. How about slumping a thin plastic sheet in your oven or a heat gun...seems easier than bending wood with the grain or using caustic chemicals. Plastic styrene or pvc would probably be stronger anyway.

You folks are the best.... just sayin. Have I mentioned in the last year I love this site?
You have demonstrated yourself to be quite the imaginative craftsman yourself, and your engineering drawings beat just about anything I have seen here.

hope you get a chance to get all these birds in the air with some flight pics soon!

Is it bad luck to paint your rocket in tree? :dontknow:
Do rockets enjoy being painted? You're either training it to seek out trees if it enjoys the application of paint, or training in an aversion to trees if not. Since most people don't paint in trees, and most rockets seem to love trees, I think you're probably not making things any worse.

I am less concerned with the rocket than I am the tree. If the branches are already dead the tree itself is not an issue. But pick colors that SWMBO will approve, as the overspray stays on the branch!

I am less concerned with the rocket than I am the tree. If the branches are already dead the tree itself is not an issue. But pick colors that SWMBO will approve, as the overspray stays on the branch!

I for sure had SWMBO in mind, think about it, overspray on dead tree branches... much preferred versus overspray on patio furniture :shocked:

We have a plethora of mule deer here. They eat the needles off of the pinion pine trees in the winter, when any foliage on the ground is covered by snow. Thus pretty much any branches lower than about 6 feet have no needles. Without any needles, the branches die. Which makes these branches ideal for small birds and rockets to perch on.

2-1-16 Snow Day 001.jpg

10 Point Buck 001.jpg

Last edited:
What's the dilly with the frillies, yea or nay?

To be honest, I'm not sure how to pull that off and make it stay attached without being detrimental to the flight. Maybe a yellow tennis ball (like @BABAR)suggested), but with some pipe cleaners stuck in it?

Last edited:
Back