Quantcast

Red Columbine - A Rocket Based On A Flower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
Reaction score
Rear eject clearly the way to go. Unfortunately, given it will come down nose first, you won’t be able to “stick” the landing. Are you flying on a gras field? If not, you may want to put a piece of tape or something removable on the nose to protect it from impact damage.
In this case... nose down is as nature intended.. ;-)

Maybe some "shock absorbing frilly dillies" are needed..

Attachments

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
interestingly, assuming your units are inches, a Tennis Ball (in part or in full) may make a nice nose cone or cover, may be safer assuming it lands somewhere or on something it isn’t supposed to, may be cheaper and more easily replaced.

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
Reaction score
interestingly, assuming your units are inches, a Tennis Ball (in part or in full) may make a nice nose cone or cover, may be safer assuming it lands somewhere or on something it isn’t supposed to, may be cheaper and more easily replaced.

Sure.. that would work. Thanks for looking out for me.

Where I launch the only thing around within 2 miles is me and my truck. This rocket has an apogee of 300 feet. It's heavy and slow. A normal rocket would likely do more damage....... E=M*C^2

I'll take my retired hard hat... cause I agree... the rocket does look like a bit like a sledge hammer head :angiefavorite:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sure.. that would work. Thanks for looking out for me.

Where I launch the only thing around within 2 miles is me and my truck. This rocket has an apogee of 300 feet. It's heavy and slow. A normal rocket would likely do more damage....... E=M*C^2

I'll take my retired hard hat... cause I agree... the rocket does look like a bit like a sledge hammer head :angiefavorite:
When this popped up on my screen this morning, it jumped to an earlier post. I didn’t realize how far the build had gone. Glad you swapped out the streamer for the chute!

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
Reaction score
Um, really? I certainly home not! (I think you mean E=½v².)
Ok, I've messed that up before. My apology. (You missed the "m" in your equation). I was thinking about Einstein, but my point is still valid, right?

E=½mv². So a lighter rocket traveling much faster will do much more damage than my Red Columbine in the event of an anomaly. If the chute deploys correctly, no worries.

icyclops

Reaction score
Hey, maybe you should use another material for that effect. How about slumping a thin plastic sheet in your oven or a heat gun...seems easier than bending wood with the grain or using caustic chemicals. Plastic styrene or pvc would probably be stronger anyway.