Red Arrow Hobbies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maelstrom

Reaction score
I've been trying to contact them for over a week now. Does anyone have any news on them?

Red Arrow is a great place to deal with. Sometimes you have to give him a little while or send him a couple e-mails or even better yet pick up the phone Dave is great to deal with.

Tom

I have had nothing but good service from red arrow , not big on communication, but they have always come thru in a timely manner..... calling them is probably the best bet

I gave up on emailing Dave...he just isn't a real "techno" kinda guy.

Just call him.

I have had nothing but great experiences with Red Arrow Hobbies. I've order motors and parts before and gotten everything in a timely manner. I hope this is just a matter of a slight delay. Like the others have mentioned, worst come last, pick up the phone. ;)

I'm with Maelstrom. I've been calling and emailing them all week with no response. The phone is either busy or just beeps. Not like a fax machine, more like a strange alien sound.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Dave at Red Arrow only has one phone line. He is "techno challenged". No call waiting!

That noise IS his fax machine! Some are odd sounding when they are "requesting" communication with the host.

My solution; I send him a fax with my phone number and tell him to call me! It usually works!.

He's a one man show pretty much and he gets busy on the phone.

His theory..."I can only talk to one person at a time!"

Since I live in Michigan and he sends his stuff out United Parcel Service. if I call in the morning I can usually have it the next day. Very convienient.

They had a very serious break-in about a week ago. A whole "butt-load" of rocketry stuff was stolen, a very large portion of their inventory. He has someone in mind who might have done it, and the police are investigating it. Hopefully he'll get all that stuff back. He was really down about it.

Granted there are far worse crimes than ripping off a hobby dealer, but I hope there is a quick recovery of the goods and swift justice to the thief. Anyways, to the matter at hand of contacting Dave, I'll chime in with these other guys and say he is not the most talkative of the dealers I do business with, but I've never been disappointed. However, if you ordered motors, those ship s...l...o...w. The last A/T motor I ordered from him, he used parcel post for shipping. It took around 3 weeks to get here from Michigan, just be patient. He will come through. Shipping snails can only go so fast. :)

that is terrible news ! I hope they catch the Ba#@!r*s

I guess I will hold off on my next order for a bit, let Dave get
re-oriented.

Wow,

I stopped by Red Arrow on the way back from Chicago last month. Dave was very nice and impressed the heck out of my daughters by showing them the disassembled 19 foot rocket in the doorway (central M and 3 L's ).

This was obviously an operation run by someone who loves rocketry, and it was a treat to finally see the real brick and mortar store.

I hope he gets his stuff back.

Good News!
Here's part of an email I got from Dave today:

After working with the police for a couple days, I
decided to investigate on my own. I found out the
suspects (I deleted the names)
were going to Kansas to try to sell everything. I
immediately started the 13-14 hour drive to beat them
there and contact the the local police. After a day or
so they had an undercover plan to help catch the
thieves. IT WORKED!! About half of the products were
seized. The other half was stored in Indiana.
Unfortunately, all of Red Arrow Hobbies stolen
inventory is now being held as evidence until the
trial is over.

At least he'll get the stuff back, just may be a while.

Wow, that's great that they found it so quickly. Wonder why they took the inventory to Kansas to sell? It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Good news to hear! I used to live over on that side of the state (in an apartment overlooking the lake.... sighhhh...) and even though at the time, I was "inactive" in rocketry, I'd stop in a couple times a year and check out Dave's stuff. He runs a really cool store. I gotta come up with an excuse to go over to Chicago one of these weeks and stop in there.

Hopefully the cops don't have to hold on to the evidence very long - as soon as it's documented and inventoried, they shouldn't need it much longer.

PS - why delete the suspects' names??

Hang the MFers out to dry. :mad:

Originally posted by JStarStar
Good news to hear! I used to live over on that side of the state (in an apartment overlooking the lake.... sighhhh...) and even though at the time, I was "inactive" in rocketry, I'd stop in a couple times a year and check out Dave's stuff. He runs a really cool store. I gotta come up with an excuse to go over to Chicago one of these weeks and stop in there.

Hopefully the cops don't have to hold on to the evidence very long - as soon as it's documented and inventoried, they shouldn't need it much longer.

PS - why delete the suspects' names??

Hang the MFers out to dry. :mad:

I think it was the guys at RS (or SR) Hobbies.

Originally posted by TheRadiator
Wonder why they took the inventory to Kansas to sell?

I would guess they were headed to AIRFest. Nothing like a big launch to sell lots of merchandise in a hurry to a bunch of total strangers with cash to spend.

I hope they get nailed to the wall. What they did was really low.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill
Perhaps to not weaken the case against the perps?

Bill

It'd only weaken the case against the perps, if somebody who reads this board gets chosen for the jury.

If the suspects are somehow found not guilty of the crime, theoretically there could be some libel ramifications, so at this point it would probably not be too good to call 'em out by name or otherwise publicly ID them.

Once the trial is over, F- that. They're theives. If they actually run a business, everybody needs to know that.

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
Good News!
Here's part of an email I got from Dave today:

After working with the police for a couple days, I
decided to investigate on my own. I found out the
suspects (I deleted the names)
were going to Kansas to try to sell everything. I
immediately started the 13-14 hour drive to beat them
there and contact the the local police. After a day or
so they had an undercover plan to help catch the
thieves. IT WORKED!! About half of the products were
seized. The other half was stored in Indiana.
Unfortunately, all of Red Arrow Hobbies stolen
inventory is now being held as evidence until the
trial is over.

At least he'll get the stuff back, just may be a while.

We are pleased that we were able to help with this investigation. Dave had called us the following day regarding the break in looking for lot numbers. We were able to provide a few and narrow them down to his latest shipments. BINGO! Those lot numbers were found in the undercover plan.

Obviously we had to remain silent here at our end until they caught the guilty parties. We are extremely pleased to learn of the outcome. We are also going to work with Dave to the best we can, to help him get some stock levels back up but as you are all aware, we ship the stuff as soon as it is made so it may take us a little while to get Dave stocked up again.

Please be patient with Red Arrow Hobbies and continue to support Dave at this difficult time.

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
They had a very serious break-in about a week ago. A whole "butt-load" of rocketry stuff was stolen, a very large portion of their inventory.

His web pages have been updated since then (9/5). He has AT F20-4 and -7 motors in stock for $23.95 for the two pack (but that's all for AT motors).

May I suggest that anyone who's planning on buying this size motor do so from RedArrow?

Same with pretty much anything else he sells. You *might* be able to find it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but buying from him would support someone who's been supporting a lot of you by supplying stuff.

And if you don't mind waiting, place an order and allow backorders, so he can get the pipe between himself and the manufacturers moving again.

I do my share to help dave.

heck...he knows my credit card number by heart!

All he asks is "Which card do I put this on?...I have both numbers."

Hmm, I think AIRfest would be their target. LOTS of people there, someone could have passed it off as buying it a while back and not needing it or something.

Very glad to hear that Red Arrow was able to get some resolution to this problem, and am glad they will get their merchandise back.

I've ordered from them in the past - the "designers edition of airframes/engine tubes/centering rings" and the shipping was fast.

Of all the non-TRF regulars out there, Red Arrow Hobbies is at the top of my list.

Back