Red Arrow Hobbies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikeMikey

Lost in Space
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know Red Arrow has taken some criticism here lately. I have always had a good experience with them, so I wanted to give them some business. I ordered some phenolic airframes and payloads on the evening of Thursday, March 27. On Friday I realized that I had forgotten something, so I called to see if they could add it to my order. "No problem" they said and sent me a PayPal invoice to pay for the item -- no shipping charge. Then over the weekend I thought of two other items I wanted to get from them, and so placed another internet order. I received no communication from them, but today (April 2nd) UPS brought a box with all three of my orders. Great prices and good service. To be honest, I was not in a hurry for any of these items, and if I had been, I likely would have called and that way could have ordered from someone else if there was a problem with availability.

Just wanted to post this because I appreciate all of our vendors, and although most of my business goes to WildMan, he doesn't carry everything and I think having a diversity of vendors and products is healthy.

NikeMikey

I know Red Arrow has taken some criticism here lately. I have always had a good experience with them, so I wanted to give them some business. I ordered some phenolic airframes and payloads on the evening of Thursday, March 27. On Friday I realized that I had forgotten something, so I called to see if they could add it to my order. "No problem" they said and sent me a PayPal invoice to pay for the item -- no shipping charge. Then over the weekend I thought of two other items I wanted to get from them, and so placed another internet order. I received no communication from them, but today (April 2nd) UPS brought a box with all three of my orders. Great prices and good service. To be honest, I was not in a hurry for any of these items, and if I had been, I likely would have called and that way could have ordered from someone else if there was a problem with availability.

Just wanted to post this because I appreciate all of our vendors, and although most of my business goes to WildMan, he doesn't carry everything and I think having a diversity of vendors and products is healthy.

NikeMikey

+1 for sure Mike,,,,,,,,,,
Very nice of you to say as well..........

Teddy

I see a lot of people bashing not only Red Arrow but other vendors as well. We have to keep in mind that these guys are probably one man operations or have a few family members who BTW have lives outside of their business I'm sure. Everyone wants everything right now, but yet it takes you 2 months to build your rocket, so what's the rush? Really!!. I mean I see guys complain that they didn't hear anything from the vendor and it's only been 2 days ... big deal. Is your order the only order pending probably not. So come on and give these guys a break. They love rocketry as much as we do or else they wouldn't be in the business. So work with them and not against them. To be fair with this post there some valid complaints out there, but most of the ones I've read are ridiculous!

I ordered a 75mm/5120 rouse tech case and closures from them on February 24th. It is now April 3rd and I have yet to receive the product. These cases are very expensive so you can imagine how much of my money he has without me ever receiving the product. He simply keeps saying it's on back order and he still hasn't received the item from the supplier. I think it's time to ask for a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I ordered a 75mm/5120 rouse tech case and closures from them on February 24th. It is now April 3rd and I have yet to receive the product. These cases are very expensive so you can imagine how much of my money he has without me ever receiving the product. He simply keeps saying it's on back order and he still hasn't received the item from the supplier. I think it's time to ask for a refund.

NikeMikey, well stasted.

TheHulk, I had a similar experiance getting AT18 mm hardware. When he told me it was backordered, I could have canceled the order, but since there was no hurry, I let it ride. When it arrived, it came with a very useful freebe that I was not expecting.

Back order is back order. This time of year everybody is ordering stuff and realistically speaking, the Sport Rocketry market and supply chain isn't mature by any means. Considering the size of Sport Rocketry, it probably won't be for several years.

I decided to get a refund. It's too much money to me to be waiting this long. That money could be used to buy groceries, pay rent, bills, and other stuff. He has the same motor case that he lends out for use at launches at no cost so I can still certify without owning it myself

Everyone wants everything right now, but yet it takes you 2 months to build your rocket, so what's the rush? Really!!. I mean I see guys complain that they didn't hear anything from the vendor and it's only been 2 days ... big deal.

Uh, most of the people didn't hear anything for a LOT longer than 2 days before they finally contacted Red Arrow to find out why.

Try rocket nearly done, needing the motors in a few days, NO communication from Red Arrow, finding out a WEEK after the order was sent that they only had one pack in stock, not the three packs I ordered. So, they were waiting on two other packs to arrive, but had no clue when, maybe 4-6 more weeks. I told them to ship what they had (one pack with a hazmat fee) and canceled the rest. And the ****ing thing didn't arrive until Monday, missed the Saturday launch even though I had ordered in PLENTY of time according to their website's info on shipping. If they had told me earlier, I could have arranged to buy the motors from another dealer in time to make the launch.

It was a big deal me. And it's a big deal to a lot of other people. So where do you get off saying it's not important to those who got screwed over? It didn't involve you, you were not the one affected.

And now because of this I won't order from Red Arrow again unless they are the last option. Before that debacle, they were my first option.

There's no excuse for routinely not communicating with customers AT ALL about items not being in stock and therefore orders secretly delayed for weeks or months. I could understand if it was a rare thing, or an emergency thing. But it isn't, it's routine, as all the other people who had the same experiences with non-shipment and zero communication have related.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I sent Red Arrow an email asking if they could have my motor to me in time for my L1 that was happening in 9 days. He replied very quickly, and had the motor, casing, and igniters to me in 5 days (and that was over a weekend).
I've only had good service from Red Arrow, and quick replies to my emails.

I've been fortunate in that I haven't had any problems with any vendor. Communication is the driving force for me. RedArrow was quick in response to my inquiries. I've had two orders recently that became back-orders from two different venders. Both were quick to tell me the situation and ask if I felt like waiting(Fruity Chutes and Wildman). I waited and had no issues.
If I get no coms for longer than I care via email, I call. Never had an issue that way. I'm sorry but if you're thinking the money "floating" around while waiting on the product is an issue, don't buy internet/mail order, and certainly don't spend and worry about bills. Just my thoughts.

Mark

Uh, most of the people didn't hear anything for a LOT longer than 2 days before they finally contacted Red Arrow to find out why.

Try rocket nearly done, needing the motors in a few days, NO communication from Red Arrow, finding out a WEEK after the order was sent that they only had one pack in stock, not the three packs I ordered. So, they were waiting on two other packs to arrive, but had no clue when, maybe 4-6 more weeks. I told them to ship what they had (one pack with a hazmat fee) and canceled the rest. And the ****ing thing didn't arrive until Monday, missed the Saturday launch even though I had ordered in PLENTY of time according to their website's info on shipping. If they had told me earlier, I could have arranged to buy the motors from another dealer in time to make the launch.

It was a big deal me. And it's a big deal to a lot of other people. So where do you get off saying it's not important to those who got screwed over? It didn't involve you, you were not the one affected.

And now because of this I won't order from Red Arrow again unless they are the last option. Before that debacle, they were my first option.

There's no excuse for routinely not communicating with customers AT ALL about items not being in stock and therefore orders secretly delayed for weeks or months. I could understand if it was a rare thing, or an emergency thing. But it isn't, it's routine, as all the other people who had the same experiences with non-shipment and zero communication have related.

- George Gassaway

Well don't get your panties in a twist. I was referring to actual rocket kits but guess I could see how wanting motors in a timely fashion could ruin your launch. Live in learn I guess right? Hope you find someone who can deliver.

- George Gassaway

I'm in exactly the same boat today. Rockets are ready, plans are made, forms are filled out... Launch is on Aug 20th (in 4 days) and so far: repeated calls to him, missing stock, no shipping confirmation, and now a phone number that seems to be "out of service".. The order was placed about 3 weeks ago..

I'm about to cancel the order & start the refund process, and then just go sit & watch others fly on Saturday.. (Level 1 will wait another month.. :( )

Evidently the guy is great to deal with in person, but it took me from Fathers Day to my Birthday in September to get an AT 24/40, AT 29/40-120. It took lots of phone calls and prodding over 3 months to get my stuff. His web dealings are spotty, but afaik you will eventually get your stuff.

You may want to take a look at BuyRocketMotors.com. PyroBob has a real time inventory system... I've seen it in action when I attempted to order more than what was in stock. I'm fortunate that he's local to me and can either pick up at a launch, meeting, or even arrange a meeting / drop! Possible you could get what you need by the time you need it depending on you distance for North Texas.

this was to be a stocking order, enough to meet the 'free HAZMAT' limit. SO, the differences between $13 & $17 per motor do add up. And toss in a $CAD / $US exchange.. And again, that also adds up..

I guess having the lowest prices is somewhat moot if you can't deliver...

And yes, we are starting to shop / look around for other sources..

Last edited:
I've given up on Red Arrow. No reply to e-mails. I finally opened a dispute with PayPal about Red Arrow. An e-mail was sent from me, via PayPal, to Red Arrow. In 25 days Red Arrow has not responded. I have now escalated the claim within the Paypal system.... what ever that means. Let's see if Paypal can get any traction.

+1 on BuyRocketMotors.com. Quick turn around on my order.

I gave up also - I talked to him 3 times, hoping a phone call would clear it up, but after getting promised a refund and no action I generated a Paypal Claim also. No response from Red Arrow and ended up getting a refund from PayPal. Was hoping to resolve it other than that but this was the only thing that worked.

I ordered some building supplies and motor hardware, and it wasn't fast service, but it came in 3 shipments as things came in from different vendors. No extra change.

The website does leave something to be desired, as it has wrong info in a couple places, including a wrong telephone number and old Haz-Mat rates, but I will likely buy from him again, just by telephone so I know what is in stock and when to expect it.

I know both were sick and on possibly in the hospital last fall. I believe they are out of business now. Their web site does not show up at any rate. Any body close to drop by the shop to verify they are gone? It's a shame. I've been doing business with them for many years and had few issues.

I know both were sick and on possibly in the hospital last fall. I believe they are out of business now. Their web site does not show up at any rate. Any body close to drop by the shop to verify they are gone? It's a shame. I've been doing business with them for many years and had few issues.

Red Arrow is out of business.

He showed up at the last Three Oaks launch for a couple Minutes. Yes he is alive and yes Red Arrow is closed.

Ummm... What about outstanding orders?

I don't think anyone will see anything.

If anyone has read his Facebook post from October 13, 2016 you will understand where your money has been going. If you want to try to get anything back you would most likely have to file a small claims suit against him if it is worth the effort.

It's just disappointing that he has time to share political nonsense on Facebook but not willing to update the web page and e-mail all of his customers to apologize, admit stuff went south, and initiate refunds on his side.

I did a paypal dispute and got my funds back without a lot of hassle but he would have garnered a lot more support and understanding had he went about things a bit differently. There was basically zero communication.

Last edited:
And down with him goes Sheri's Hot Rockets, which is a real shame. I was hoping to buy on of those rockets someday.

Back