Recovery Systems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKeeper

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently made a Caution paper rocket from Fliskits, it went together fine, but none of my local hobby stores supply streamers, do you guys think that the Caution and the Nebula (which i plan to build) will be able to fly using nose blow recovery systems. If not are there any items I can find locally that work well as streamers.

I also recently melted my parachute in my Der Red Max, I was able to purchase another one from my hobby shop, but it is only a 12 inch, would it be acceptable to use this in my Der Red Max since it comes with a 18 inch parachute.

Noseblow recovery - as you seem to already know, this is a flight with no recovery system other than just popping the (attached) nosecone. Many paper rockets are more than light enough to recover just fine this way and many of us have done exactly that.

Streamers - we use all kinds of stuff for streamers. Home Depot (or the hardware store of your choice) will happily sell you a roll of surveyors tape for a couple dollars which will last for years. Party streamers also work quite well both as streamers and as wadding as they are often (read the label) fire resistant.

Smaller parachutes - many of us use smaller than recommended parachutes in order to recover rockets on smaller fields. On windy days, I've also used streamers in rockets that were supposed to use parachutes (and wished I had on a rocket I lost recently). Just remember that when you do so, you run a higher risk if breaking a fin on landing. Use your best judgment on how well built your rocket is, how strong the fins are, and how likely the design makes a rocket land fins first. All of these make fin breaks more or less likely.

Thanks a lot! I Think I will get some surveyors tape for my Caution, but just use nose blow for the Nebula, since it runs on mini motors.

Thanks a lot! I Think I will get some surveyors tape for my Caution, but just use nose blow for the Nebula, since it runs on mini motors.

You Might also want to invest in some Teflon Plumbers tape in 1/2" to 2" widths. McMaster-Carr and other industrial supply companies have Heavy weight military grade (Thicker then nomral white Plumbers tapes) in muted colors Yellow, Orange, Red, & Green. That work wonderfully as Streamers in micro to one pound models. These tapes come of 43 foot rolls and have the added advantage of being Flame proof as well so the replace the wadding also:)
Really the only important thing to remember when substituting Teflon for other streamer materials is to Talc Baby powder the heck out of both sides before the first fold/rolling. Then re-powder after 3 or 4 flights to keep the teflon from sticking to itself.

Last edited:
My local supermarket is selling off parcel wraps which are silver mylar, 10 meters long and 1.5 inches wide for 50p, that's alot of streamer material. you could also use mylar party banners as a source of streamer material.

i often go for a smaller than recommended 'chute, i rarely pop a fin, but have lost a number of rockets in trees that line my flying field

Really the only important thing to remember when substituting Teflon for other streamer materials is to Talc Baby powder the heck out of both sides before the first fold/rolling. Then re-powder after 3 or 4 flights to keep the teflon from sticking to itself.

So what's the advantage of using Teflon as a streamer over other easier to come by and cheaper materials?

So what's the advantage of using Teflon as a streamer over other easier to come by and cheaper materials?

plumbers tape is not that espensive, and as its made of teflon it will not melt or burn easily, so you eliminate the chances of losing a rocket that lost its trackable streamer or damaging a rocket.

Latest posts

Back