Recovery shoe recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
After a day with some field maintenance, a night launch, a camp out and recovering rockets from a day launch, my tennis shoes were literally furry from sharp grass seed and other debris. After a hour picking these out of my shoes and socks, I have decided I need a better option. What do you folks wear for rocket recover?

After a day with some field maintenance, a night launch, a camp out and recovering rockets from a day launch, my tennis shoes were literally furry from sharp grass seed and other debris. After a hour picking these out of my shoes and socks, I have decided I need a better option. What do you folks wear for rocket recover?
A good pair of tall hiking or hunting boots, and long pants that cover the top of the boot or are bloused into the top of the boot to prevent getting stuff in my socks. My preferred boots currently are my Danner Pronghorn hunting boots, before that it was my Rocky hunting boots. High Tec makes their tactical boots that work well as well. I prefer waterproof and lightly insulated (year around), trousers need to be something that won't pickup the foxtails (sharp grass seed) and have lots of pockets, again my preference is for military BDU style pants (I was US Army at one time) which can be had in solid colors and lightweight fabrics. Make sure and carry a long sleeved shirt just in case you need to tackle a corn field.....unless you like lots of small fine cuts on your arms and pollen all over you.

Get yourself a good pair of all leather boots that have a high top. The initial cost will be pricey but if you take good care of them (use good boot grease periodically and don’t dry them by a fire) they will last through so many re-soleings that over time they will be relatively inexpensive.

Shop at stores that cater to backpackers and climbers to get a selection of the best quality.

Take care of your feet and they will take good care of you.

Tall lace up boots also protect your ankles when you suddenly find yourself in freshly plowed earth.
Amen....and said plowed earth when its really dry and dusty, amazing how deep the powdery dirt can be, one step and its over your low top hiking boots.

Due to the high weeds and active rattlesnakes around the Tucson facility this time of year, I wear snake boots.
On Saturday I hiked over a mile to the northeast of the launch site to recover a rocket and was glad I was wearing them.
Redwing Irish Setter snake boots;
Snake boots.jpg

Due to the high weeds and active rattlesnakes around the Tucson facility this time of year, I wear snake boots.
On Saturday I hiked over a mile to the northeast of the launch site to recover a rocket and was glad I was wearing them.
Redwing Irish Setter snake boots;
1 snake is too many. I'd find a new place to live.;)

1 snake is too many. I'd find a new place to live.;)
Haahaaa !!!!
On Saturday there was a large rattlesnake a couple hundred feet from our launch site. The surrounding desert which is normally pretty barren now has large areas dense in 3-4' weeds due to recent rainfall. To recover my rocket I had to tromp through a large area of thick undergrowth, some of which was almost impassable. Definitely couldn't see what I was stepping on.
Living and hiking in the desert for a long time I have had a couple of close calls with rattlesnakes.
They are extremely hard to see due to their effective camouflage.

Last edited:
+1 for the hiking boots. Ankle support means you don't roll an ankle on uneven ground.

+1 for Vasque. I purchased a pair back in 1991 and they are still what I wear for serious walking or rocketry recovery. I can't believe they lasted this long. Still in great condition.

Merrell 6" Moab tactical boots and long pants. If the rocket goes off the lake bed we are in sage and scrub. Haven't seen a rattlesnake in 31 years of living here. But they are out there. Scorpions you just squish.

The launch sites from which I fly, Hartsel, Pueblo, Ft. Lupton, and hopefully again soon, Pawnee Grasslands, all have amazing terrain. All of them are hot. Pueblo Is an awesome place to launch. Out east, nothing but flat and wide open. Drift north, however, and it’s a big rocket trap. First, you enter the cedar tree maze only to descend and climb through washes and ridge lines. As you head further east, the washes become lined with cliff bands. Rattle snakes? You betcha. Rugged, ankle twisting, challenging terrain? Yeah, but it’s stunningly beautiful. I pulled two rockets out of there last time. Thank heavens for GPS. A field of corn ain’t nothing compared to losing a rocket here.

Hartsel is big, wide and open with short grass except for the big hill southeast of the pads. The only thing to worry about there are stepping on cactus and the occasional critter hole, unless you fly beyond the hill, which I did last time. Plenty of snake habitat there and rock outcroppings to navigate. And yes, I climbed up and over that “hill.” Encountered a Yak with a set of horns wider than the length of my 6’ rocket I was trying to find. He watched me the whole time out and back. I can see the headlines now: “rocketeer gored by yak…” do they make Yak boots?

Pawnee Grasslands… ‘nuff said. Not a tree to be found. Actually, nothing taller than your ankle. Monstrous open bowl of prairie. So monstrous you can get lost out there. Head over the rise and you are nowhere. Did I say you can get lost out there? I hope we get this launch site back. A prairie fire last April is making the powers that be apprehensive. Pawnee remains in drought condition and we can’t even consider launching there any time soon unless it rains.

CRASH flies out of Ft. Lupton, north of Denver. A very large land parcel leased from the state gets them a large, somewhat rugged field bordered by barb wire fence and pesky neighbors. I like launching here. It’s smaller, so it puts the “sport” back into sport rocketry. I dust off my mid power when I go there and test the boundaries often. It’s a Tall grass prairie guaranteed to hide various creatures, to include snakes.

I really enjoy rocketry, but the walks are turning out to be amazing. With each one, however, I get more prepared. I never thought a discussion of rocketry fashion would have piqued my interest, but it did. I like the snake boot idea. Going to swap out my trail running shoes for footwear more appropriate.

To this, I add a camelback with plenty of water, first aid supplies, a wide brimmed hat and a packable jacket in case I do get lost and things get late. I’m on thinners. Gashing myself out there would be fatal. Twisting an ankle out there would put you in a real pickle.

Chasing rockets is fun, but with the distances and terrain involved, I suggest being serious about back country travel and navigation. I’ll do more ankle exercises so when I finally get to Argonia, I can stroll the plowed fields with a staggering confidence.

The launch sites from which I fly, Hartsel, Pueblo, Ft. Lupton, and hopefully again soon, Pawnee Grasslands, all have amazing terrain. All of them are hot. Pueblo Is an awesome place to launch. Out east, nothing but flat and wide open. Drift north, however, and it’s a big rocket trap. First, you enter the cedar tree maze only to descend and climb through washes and ridge lines. As you head further east, the washes become lined with cliff bands. Rattle snakes? You betcha. Rugged, ankle twisting, challenging terrain? Yeah, but it’s stunningly beautiful. I pulled two rockets out of there last time. Thank heavens for GPS. A field of corn ain’t nothing compared to losing a rocket here.

Hartsel is big, wide and open with short grass except for the big hill southeast of the pads. The only thing to worry about there are stepping on cactus and the occasional critter hole, unless you fly beyond the hill, which I did last time. Plenty of snake habitat there and rock outcroppings to navigate. And yes, I climbed up and over that “hill.” Encountered a Yak with a set of horns wider than the length of my 6’ rocket I was trying to find. He watched me the whole time out and back. I can see the headlines now: “rocketeer gored by yak…” do they make Yak boots?

Pawnee Grasslands… ‘nuff said. Not a tree to be found. Actually, nothing taller than your ankle. Monstrous open bowl of prairie. So monstrous you can get lost out there. Head over the rise and you are nowhere. Did I say you can get lost out there? I hope we get this launch site back. A prairie fire last April is making the powers that be apprehensive. Pawnee remains in drought condition and we can’t even consider launching there any time soon unless it rains.

CRASH flies out of Ft. Lupton, north of Denver. A very large land parcel leased from the state gets them a large, somewhat rugged field bordered by barb wire fence and pesky neighbors. I like launching here. It’s smaller, so it puts the “sport” back into sport rocketry. I dust off my mid power when I go there and test the boundaries often. It’s a Tall grass prairie guaranteed to hide various creatures, to include snakes.

I really enjoy rocketry, but the walks are turning out to be amazing. With each one, however, I get more prepared. I never thought a discussion of rocketry fashion would have piqued my interest, but it did. I like the snake boot idea. Going to swap out my trail running shoes for footwear more appropriate.

To this, I add a camelback with plenty of water, first aid supplies, a wide brimmed hat and a packable jacket in case I do get lost and things get late. I’m on thinners. Gashing myself out there would be fatal. Twisting an ankle out there would put you in a real pickle.

Chasing rockets is fun, but with the distances and terrain involved, I suggest being serious about back country travel and navigation. I’ll do more ankle exercises so when I finally get to Argonia, I can stroll the plowed fields with a staggering confidence.
Sounds like you get to enjoy some awesome terrain. Thanks for sharing. 👍👍

Absolutely excellent, new, novel thread..
Super helpful..
Wonderful idea..

Teddy

If you're a person who wants a safety toe ( I have to have them at work ) that will go through a metal detector and is static dissipative, I can highly recommend the Reebok RB7755. Over the years many of us at the plant have tried a number of different types and these ones have been pretty reliable.

Yes, last years' are my rocket recovery boots. No, they're not especially comfortable compared to non-safety-toe hikers.

If you're a person who wants a safety toe ( I have to have them at work ) that will go through a metal detector and is static dissipative, I can highly recommend the Reebok RB7755. Over the years many of us at the plant have tried a number of different types and these ones have been pretty reliable.

Yes, last years' are my rocket recovery boots. No, they're not especially comfortable compared to non-safety-toe hikers.
Good price on those for that style boot & features.

The same pair of 6" work boots that I wear every day I'm not all gussied up in dress shoes. Higher might be better sometimes, but it's not worth buying a second pair of boots for how rarely I'd wear them. Good waterproofing is a must (mine are overdue). If you feel the need, bring extra clean socks with you to put on after the launch day is done.

After a day with some field maintenance, a night launch, a camp out and recovering rockets from a day launch, my tennis shoes were literally furry from sharp grass seed and other debris.
What are these "tennis shoes" of which you speak? Some sort of specialized sports equipment, I guess. Why wear specialized sports equipment to a rocket launch?

Back