Recovery of Mini Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Fore Check

For "Tumble" recovery, lets refer to the Estes Astron Scout. This is *still* one of my favorite rockets. With all due respect, Jim, I have not seen nor read a review of your Tumbleweed. I trust that it follows similar principles.

I hope this makes sense. I feel like I'm rambling now.....

Lots of great "rambling" from Fore Check removed ;)

Yep, the Tumbleweed works the same way as the Scout (assuming the hotter ejection charges don't spit the motor...). And I agree that any conventional rocket that spits the motor will be "feather weight" recovery. That's a point I was trying to make earlier when I heard folks referring to the Mosquito as "tumble".

Also, when I say "conventional" I mean rockets that do *not* change configuration upon kicking the motor (like the Gyroc or a boost glider).

Also, the reverse is *not* true. You can keep the motor in and still satisfy "feather weight" recovery. A flying saucer is a perfect case.

jim

I agree with Micromeister above, that I misused the word "lawndart" when describing featherweight recovery of Mosquitos, Quarks, etc. Lawndarting *does* imply some impact damage, while featherweights don't come in with enough momentum to actually bury themselves and become damaged. They just come in ballisticly (is that a word?) You know, nose-first.

John,

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I would like to take my Space Plane to a launch. It hasn't flown in almost 15 years.

I better check the elastic thread on the elevons though, it might need replacing.

I took my Space Plane to the October 2nd CMASS launch and flew it twice. Both times on A8-3's.

Both flights were similar... a kind of rolling boost with a nice circling glide.

Ahhh... life is good.

Originally posted by BobH48
I took my Space Plane to the October 2nd CMASS launch and flew it twice. Both times on A8-3's.

Both flights were similar... a kind of rolling boost with a nice circling glide.

Ahhh... life is good.

It sure is Bob! I'm so glad you got a chance to fly that Great Old bird. I have to remake mine since gliding it into the top of an Old Oak tree about 80 feet up:( Humm I may just do a sandman MMX downscale to go with the micro jennies;)

If you guys haven't flown your Mosquitos, quarks and other folks tiny 13mm models on micros ya really should give it a try. My two converted mosquitos get around 90-100' on MM-II motors then rear eject an attached pod and streamer. makes for an interesting looking recover and Mosquitos you actually get back:D

may just do a sandman MMX downscale to go with the micro jennies

I love my MMX Spaceplane!:D

I really don't think ejecting a MMX motor is anything to worry about.

The MMX version flys sweet but...she can be flying nice and stable and gliding like she should when a gust of wind can come along...then it suddenly flys like a leaf.

Doesn't like crosswinds!

Back