Recovery anchor to reduce separation charge volume

Titan II

Reaction score
...but I don't know how negatively the looping would affect the kevlar strength.

It would not be any different than looping through a quick link. I try to avoid mechanical attachments such as quick links as much as possible and just attach the Kevlar to the end points. I know some have issues with knots. I just size Kevlar that still gives the needed strength.

Nathan

Reaction score
. . . . Vern K's rough estimate is 8g if I leave the whole airframe empty . . . .

8g sounds like way too much BP to me. Here is the main deployment ground test with the upper section of my level 3 cert rocket using 5.5g of BP. The volume of tube being pressurized in this test is 8" diameter and 50" long. 5.5g is the amount of BP that I have been using in this rocket since I built it several years ago.

jmasterj

Low and slow
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
8g sounds like way too much BP to me. Here is the main deployment ground test with the upper section of my level 3 cert rocket using 5.5g of BP. The volume of tube being pressurized in this test is 8" diameter and 50" long. 5.5g is the amount of BP that I have been using in this rocket since I built it several years ago.

I was simply quoting the "starting point" amount of BP from Vern K's chart, admittedly for 5.38" airframes, not 5". I certainly defer to the experienced flyers' experience mentioned above that that number is too high.