Recovery anchor to reduce separation charge volume

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but I don't know how negatively the looping would affect the kevlar strength.

It would not be any different than looping through a quick link. I try to avoid mechanical attachments such as quick links as much as possible and just attach the Kevlar to the end points. I know some have issues with knots. I just size Kevlar that still gives the needed strength.

. . . . Vern K's rough estimate is 8g if I leave the whole airframe empty . . . .

8g sounds like way too much BP to me. Here is the main deployment ground test with the upper section of my level 3 cert rocket using 5.5g of BP. The volume of tube being pressurized in this test is 8" diameter and 50" long. 5.5g is the amount of BP that I have been using in this rocket since I built it several years ago.

8g sounds like way too much BP to me. Here is the main deployment ground test with the upper section of my level 3 cert rocket using 5.5g of BP. The volume of tube being pressurized in this test is 8" diameter and 50" long. 5.5g is the amount of BP that I have been using in this rocket since I built it several years ago.

I was simply quoting the "starting point" amount of BP from Vern K's chart, admittedly for 5.38" airframes, not 5". I certainly defer to the experienced flyers' experience mentioned above that that number is too high.

https://www.vernk.com/EjectionChargeSizing.htm

Back