Record for the coldest tempuratures during a LPR launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
Hi Folks:)
Is there such a thing as a record for the coldest temperature during an LPR launch? What is the coldest tempurature folks have launched in?
Cheers
fred

My personal best/worst is around 20 degrees and 6" of snow. :snowflake:

February 16,2003

It was COLD again this month, perhaps the chilliest CATO launch to date. It was 1 degree F when the setup crew arrived, and only made in into the mid teens by late afternoon.

We had a NAR contest and I managed first place in both 1/4ABG and ESD-multiround. Streamer duration is really cool with long burn Estes E9s.

https://www.catorockets.org/cato72/cato72.html

when I launched the deuces wild's for Tennessee leg of Tour de deuce the wind chill was something like 2 degrees f.
the hardest part was handling the ignitors ..:snowflake:

Last edited:
hmmmmm.... Fred, wasn't it you that just did a -40 launch? I seem to recall SOMEONE here did just that here very recently.:rolleyes:

Do the engine manufacturers have a spec for safe ignition temps for engines?
I have never seen any specs. Has anybody noticed more cato's at the extreme temps hi or low?

Well, BP motors strongly dislike temperature cycling, so if they are cooled and warmed several times, it will strongly influence failure rate for the worse. I haven't noticed significant detriments just due to temperature though (if the motors have been stored properly).

I don't think that the cold would be effecting the motors until you get into a cycling of freezing and/or High heat situations. It's the expansion or contraction of the compressed black power that form the cracks. This happens most often when the motor's are stored in an unheated/uncooled garage or storage unit or shed.

I think that taking a motor that hasn't been cycled, kept good care of, would have a near normal chance of fireing correctly.

I think

;)

Sounds like you fellas have launched in pretty cold conditions. My personal best is -48C. No problems really with the motor but chutes freeze pretty quick unless you get them off pretty quick :)
Cheers
Fred

For me it would be right here, right now [Sunday morning] in SE PA. We did have a club launch scheduled for today, but the prez wisely bagged it. Right now it's 18F, winds at 23mph, gusting to 34mph, windchill at 0F. And my wife shakes her head when I remind her that I want to migrate south......:grinch:

I can fly gliders and helicopters in really cold weather. By stealing Bob Kaplow's idea of using torque bars made out piano wire, the chopper blades will still deploy when the temperature is really cold. Does anyone chase rockets in snow shoes?

My kids and I may try today. Current forecasted temp at 1:00PM is 4 deg F with a wind chill of -7 deg F:y:. I think my personal best prior to that is 7 deg.

Sounds like you fellas have launched in pretty cold conditions. My personal best is -48C. No problems really with the motor but chutes freeze pretty quick unless you get them off pretty quick :)
Cheers
Fred
Fred

If that's not a record, I don't know who would have the opportunity to beat it. -48 C is about -55 F! That's really cold! I have no idea how you can insert an igniter an attach clips when it's that cold, not to mention how you kept the batteries warm enough.

When I was in college on a ski trip, I skied at -40 F in a 40 MPH wind That's close to a -100 F wind chill and it was really cold. My eyes started watering and when I blinked, they froze shut while I was skiing downhill to the treeline. I took off my gloves, knowing I had about 30 seconds to unfreeze my eyes before my fingers froze, and went into a tuck to get below the treeline.

Your record isn't a record I'd want to break.

Bob

I can't touch Fred's -48C, but will toss out a US benchmark--one cold January morning I had to schlep into work on a Saturday, but figured I'd stop by my club's launch on the way back so loaded up a bunch of models, prepped chutes and motors in advance so as not to freeze my fingers off at the field. I left work around 1:00, thermometer in my car said -6, but it was a gorgeous clear day and not a lick of wind.

When I got to the field, there was no one there--launch scrubbed due to the extreme cold. Undeterred, I set up and spent the next three hours flying until the batteries on the launcher I stash in my range box as a backup died. All in all, I think I got about 30 flights in that day, most landing within 20 yards of the pad. The weird thing, though, was that the sun was so bright and glaring off the snow it actually felt warm. I wound up taking off my gloves most of the time and unzipping the coat partway.

To this day, it stands out as one of the best days of flying I can remember, albeit lonely.

--Chan Stevens

Fred

If that's not a record, I don't know who would have the opportunity to beat it. -48 C is about -55 F! That's really cold! I have no idea how you can insert an igniter an attach clips when it's that cold, not to mention how you kept the batteries warm enough.

When I was in college on a ski trip, I skied at -40 F in a 40 MPH wind That's close to a -100 F wind chill and it was really cold. My eyes started watering and when I blinked, they froze shut while I was skiing downhill to the treeline. I took off my gloves, knowing I had about 30 seconds to unfreeze my eyes before my fingers froze, and went into a tuck to get below the treeline.

Your record isn't a record I'd want to break.

Bob
Took more guts then i have to start that trip Bob. You just get used to wearing light cotton gloves in your mitts and using them. I keep the batteries in my coat till moments before launch :)
Cheers
Fred

I can't touch Fred's -48C, but will toss out a US benchmark--one cold January morning I had to schlep into work on a Saturday, but figured I'd stop by my club's launch on the way back so loaded up a bunch of models, prepped chutes and motors in advance so as not to freeze my fingers off at the field. I left work around 1:00, thermometer in my car said -6, but it was a gorgeous clear day and not a lick of wind.

When I got to the field, there was no one there--launch scrubbed due to the extreme cold. Undeterred, I set up and spent the next three hours flying until the batteries on the launcher I stash in my range box as a backup died. All in all, I think I got about 30 flights in that day, most landing within 20 yards of the pad. The weird thing, though, was that the sun was so bright and glaring off the snow it actually felt warm. I wound up taking off my gloves most of the time and unzipping the coat partway.

To this day, it stands out as one of the best days of flying I can remember, albeit lonely.

--Chan Stevens
Good stuff :) I wonder how folks can take the extreme heat like the 105s and 90's in fahrenheit:) I can dress up for the cold:) Every place has it's tempurature extremes I guess.
Cheers
fred

When I left for our club launch yesterday, it was 0F, though probably warmed up a few degrees by the time we shoveled out the gate & gravel drive. The moderate wind out of the north is what made it feel really cold, though we still launched for a couple hours, with flights from A through G. For cold weather launches, we've learned to do all prep before the launch, so there is no fumbling with igniters or other items requiring dexterity. I think there were about 10 of us, a good turnout for such a cold day!

When I left for our club launch yesterday, it was 0F, though probably warmed up a few degrees by the time we shoveled out the gate & gravel drive. The moderate wind out of the north is what made it feel really cold, though we still launched for a couple hours, with flights from A through G. For cold weather launches, we've learned to do all prep before the launch, so there is no fumbling with igniters or other items requiring dexterity. I think there were about 10 of us, a good turnout for such a cold day!
You and your group are to be congratulated sir :)
Cheers
Fred

Does anyone chase rockets in snow shoes?

I have, down at Bong, and they really made a difference. I do keep the snowshoes in the trunk in winter, and at winter Bong launches, I was glad that I did.

Incidentally, here in Wisconsin, in January, at least, when it's snowing, it's not cold. Cold is what you get when it's completely clear out at night, and all of the heat radiates out into space overnight. If there are clouds, it's going to be relatively warm, and if it's warm enough to snow, it's warm.

Fred22 said:
You and your group are to be congratulated sir
Cheers
Fred
Thanks - and we thought we should all be committed for such silliness!

I have, down at Bong, and they really made a difference. I do keep the snowshoes in the trunk in winter, and at winter Bong launches, I was glad that I did.

Incidentally, here in Wisconsin, in January, at least, when it's snowing, it's not cold. Cold is what you get when it's completely clear out at night, and all of the heat radiates out into space overnight. If there are clouds, it's going to be relatively warm, and if it's warm enough to snow, it's warm.
It must have been a clear night friday..., but launch fever kept us warm :)

Last edited:

I managed to get a picture of the spectators at the launch. :D

:happydeer: :happydeer: :happydeer:

PolarBearParty.gif

It must have been a clear night friday..., but launch fever kept us warm :)

Sorry I couldn't join you. I'd meant to make it, but wound up having to schedule something at noon that would have meant "show up, shovel, leave". I thought I'd leave that to you guys.

Same here :)
Cheers
fred

My first launch was 21.12.09 temp -12C,slight wind and about 20cm of snow,which saved my both rockets as the chutes didn`t deploy lol.

Check out Mike's rocket blog on his experiences of moving from Hawaii to Colorado and cold weather launches. https://www.mikesrocket.com/

I love to launch in cold, dense air with no background noise. You can really hear the motor and the ejection sounds. It is also nice to hold on the warm motors on the walk back from the recovery. Plenty of baby powder and a nice loose wrap on the shroud lines and I have not had any trouble with plastic chutes opening up, even at the launch in December where it was 15 degrees with a wind chill well below zero.

I managed to get a picture of the spectators at the launch. :D
Hmmm, a bonfire would have been very nice. I wonder if the landowner would mind?

sylvie369 said:
Sorry I couldn't join you. I'd meant to make it, but wound up having to schedule something at noon that would have meant "show up, shovel, leave". I thought I'd leave that to you guys.
Or maybe "show up, shovel, remove paul's rocket from tree, leave". The highlight was the Christmas package launched on 5 D12 motors. Must have been going 5fps by the time it left the rod :eek:

Back